We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more ›
People are documenting their lives now more than ever, and the advent of small, rugged cameras like the GoPro has made it easy for folks to save their events and memories to revisit in the future. GoPros are the go-to cameras for these efforts. While they were designed to handle rigorous outdoor activities like snowboarding or mountain biking, they’re also being used in a variety of other ways that are just as useful, such as dash cams that allow drivers to record their daily commutes—and provide documentation as to what they may or may not have done in the event of an accident.
Additionally, these cameras are used to allow drivers to talk to viewers of television shows or YouTube videos as they drive, offering insights about a vehicle’s performance, or perhaps lack thereof. However, before you go rushing off to put your GoPro in your car, truck, or SUV, you’re going to need a good mount, and we’ve got five models you should check out.
Delkin Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount
This GoPro car mount has three-inch, industrial-grade suction cups for security. It's designed to hold your device at high speeds.
- Stable and durable
- Easy to install.
- Won’t damage the surface area
- Lacks accessories
- Won’t stick to some surfaces, such as drywall
Smatree Suction Cup Mount Compatible for GoPro
This device features a suction cup mount and a quick-release feature. The arm moves 180 degrees for better-angled shots.
- Compatible with most cameras
- Smaller than rival brands. Extremely affordable
- Not great when used at high speeds
- Not ideal for high-impact activities
Sametop Suction Cup Mount
This suction cup mount includes a quick-release buckle and thumbscrew. It works with the GoPro Hero1 through the GoPro Hero9.
- Simple to mount
- Easy to use. Sticks to a variety of surfaces
- Tolerates road vibrations
- Not designed for activities involving a lot of impact
- Tightening knobs may loosen over time
Benefits of GoPro Car Mounts
- Easily document your adventures. While you can use a handheld camera to record special road trips and events, it's a lot easier to set a device on a mount for hands-free operation.
- Protect your expensive devices. GoPro cameras can be pricey, but you can purchase a somewhat inexpensive camera mount that is waterproof and will hold your camera securely in place, so it doesn’t get damaged.
- Get POV footage. If you want to record your driving adventures from your point of view, a GoPro car mount can help you do so. It’s designed to adhere to a windshield and other areas of your vehicle without falling.
Types of GoPro Car Mounts
Suction Cup Mounts
This is the most common type of GoPro car mount. These mounts feature suction cups that stick to a variety of surfaces. Many of them have adjustable arms, so you can angle the mount to your desired position. While suction cups can adhere to glass and plastic surfaces rather easily, they may not stick to other materials very well.
Clamps and Other Mounts
In addition to suction cups, GoPro mounts may be fastened to a surface area using adhesive, clamps, screws, or straps. Some of these mounting options, such as one involving screws, are more permanent. If you use adhesive, it can leave behind a sticky residue should you try to remove it.
You can't go wrong with a GoPro mount from the company that makes GoPro devices. Founded in 2002 and based in San Mateo, Calif., GoPro makes what it calls "the world's most versatile camera." It also produces accessories, such as the official GoPro Suction Cup Mount.
Based in Poway, Calif., Delkin was founded in 1986. The company designs camera accessories as well as photography-based memory cards and industrial-grade storage solutions. We recommend the Delkin Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount.
Smatree, with offices in the United States, Europe, and China, was founded in 2012. The company designs a variety of products and accessories for Apple, DJI, and GoPro, among others. One of its top products is the Smatree Suction Cup Mount Compatible for GoPro.
GoPro Car Mount Pricing
- Under $20: Some GoPro car mounts are very inexpensive. However, those in this price range are likely less useful for more high-impact activities. If you plan on driving fast or over particularly rocky terrain, you're better off investing in a more expensive mount.
- $20-$40: You can find a variety of different mounts at this price point. In general, they are high-quality devices that should do a good job of securing your camera.
- $40 and up: If you want a mount with industrial holding power, you have to pay a little more money. Pricier GoPro car mounts are designed with strong suction cups or clamps, so you have confidence that your camera will be secure and protected. Plus, they usually have more features, such as 360-degree tilting and rotation.
Before you purchase a car GoPro mount, think about how fast you will be driving when using the device. You will need a stronger mount if you plan on recording your track day adventures compared to a slow off-roading trip with your pals. The mount needs to be designed so that it can tolerate higher wind speeds.
If you plan on using your GoPro car mount all year round and you live in an area that experiences drastic changes in the weather, then you need a device that can operate effectively in the rain, snow, hail, etc. Better models are waterproof and shockproof to tolerate more extreme conditions.
Some GoPro car mounts are smaller than others, which can make them a little more versatile in where you can place them. Also, you must consider their weight. More technologically advanced models feature extendable arms and swivel joints, which can make them a bit heavier. Make sure the mount can handle its own weight as well as that of your camera.
- Location: You can mount a GoPro device in a variety of different areas on your vehicle. Some mounts are designed for exterior use, and others are more functional in the interior. Check the specs to determine its best location because an improperly mounted device may be unstable and affect video quality.
- Flexibility: Some GoPro car mounts are more flexible than others. Many users prefer mounts that can be adjusted and positioned in a variety of angles. The best models have a 360-degree rotating ability, so you can angle the device into the exact position in which you need it.
Best GoPro Car Mount Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When using a suction cup GoPro car mount, make sure the surface area is flat and smooth. Surfaces with even the slightest bit of texture may not hold the mount properly.
- Changes in temperature can affect how the mount adheres to the surface area. For example, if it's mounted on cold glass that warms up in the sun, the seal may be compromised.
- Clean the surface area thoroughly before attaching the GoPro mount. Make sure it's clear of dirt and debris for optimal adherence.
Q: Where do I mount my GoPro in the car?
They can be situated in a variety of areas, from the passenger seat or back seat to your steering wheel, windshield, and grille. You can also put one above the trunk.
Q: How do you mount a GoPro to the outside of a car?
If you're installing a suction cup mount on the windshield, for example, clean the glass and suction cup with rubbing alcohol and dry them thoroughly. Apply moisture to the seal, and lock the lever into place on the windshield. Place the mount on the suction cups, and attach your device.
Q: What accessories should I buy with GoPro?
You can buy a variety of accessories for your GoPro, including a tripod adapter, a lighting kit, a chest mount, a screen protector, or a head strap. It all depends on what you want to get out of the device and the activities you plan on documenting.
Our pick for the best GoPro car mount is the Delkin Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount. This device is extremely stable and will allow you to capture professional-level video footage. Also, it's easy to install, and it can withstand everything from g-forces to rain and wind. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Smatree Suction Cup Mount Compatible for GoPro.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more