Best GPS Apps: Get Where You Need to Go with Ease
Reach your destination quickly and safely with these top GPS apps
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Scott Roepel / LAST UPDATED ON March 17, 2020
Planning a road trip to a place you’ve never been before can be a hassle, especially if you’re in a new city. Using one of the best GPS map apps can help you reach your destination quickly and more efficiently. With the ability to monitor traffic, road conditions, and the weather, the most popular GPS navigation apps will get you where you need to go. Here are the top map apps to direct you from one point to another without getting lost.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of GPS Apps
- Never get lost. With the convenience of a GPS, you will always know where you are. You can easily pull up the app and locate the nearest highway or motorway if you find yourself off the beaten path.
- Get detailed directions. Simply winging it by choosing a general direction may get you where you want to go, but it might not be the most convenient or simplest route. Typing in your exact destination will ensure you reach your destination quickly and efficiently.
- Avoid distractions. You won’t be distracted by constantly searching for directions if you use a top-rated GPS app. Several, if not all, are fitted with the ability to speak aloud the directions, so you aren’t forced to look at a map or printed directions.
- Track your trip. If you want to know exactly how far you plan to drive, bike, or hike, you can chart the journey on the GPS app. It can also be used to track how many calories you burn during a bike or run.
- Use them for hiking and other activities. GPS apps are largely used in vehicles, but they are also great for monitoring your journey when walking, biking, or camping.
Provide entertainment. Some GPS apps give you the option to listen to music. They can either come with their own songs or you can upload your own tracks.
Types of GPS Apps
The basic and most common types of GPS apps are those devoted to navigation. They will provide you with the best routes to take you to your destination, notify you of any traffic alerts, and include voice navigation for extra convenience. You can find a wide selection of these for both iOS and Android devices.
A speedometer GPS app comes with all of the navigational features you need while also acting as a speedometer. This function allows you to see how fast you are traveling and is better suited for cyclists, hikers, and runners. While it does also function in a vehicle, you already have the built-in speedometer in the car. It can also alert you of upcoming speed changes on your drive.
A tracker GPS app allows you to pinpoint and track a device if it ever goes missing. If your phone has this type of app installed on it, you can use another device with the same software to locate it. Many can also be synced to other devices to show you where they are at any given time. This is helpful for parents who want to know where their child is. They can even be used on animal collars.
GPS Apps Pricing
- Free: The majority, if not all, of the best GPS apps, are free to download on your smartphone. They come with all the basic features and functions you need to ensure you don’t get lost or stuck in traffic.
- Paid: The price you will pay for some GPS apps varies by only a few dollars. A few will be around one dollar while others can be up to six dollars. These have extra features that make them accessible on smartwatches, while others work as enhanced speedometers.
One of the top features of a GPS app is its ability to monitor live traffic data in your area to let you know of any slowdowns. This is especially useful if you commute to work and home or drive in a new city, state, or country. If there is any type of traffic accident, closure, or hazard, the GPS will typically alert you with either an audible message or red text on the screen. Real-time traffic updates keep you informed within seconds of something happening.
An app can use a lot of data when it is up and running. If you use it on your smartphone, then you will either need a data plan or a WiFi signal to ensure it functions properly. If it is on your GPS device, then you don’t need to worry about data usage unless the device itself needs that or WiFi to function. Many GPS apps can be used offline, which avoids using data altogether.
You want to consider the size of the app before you download it. The larger the file the more space it will take up on your device. If you need an app right away, you should download it before your trip. Depending on the size and the manner in which you download it (WiFi versus data) it could take a while before it is loaded and updated.
- Convenience: A GPS app should be convenient to use and easy to operate. If all you need it for is to get from one place to another, then you should be able to simply enter the address of the destination. From there, the app can even make it simpler by finishing the address for you so you don’t have to type it in fully. Many even allow you to enter the address with a voice command.
- Battery Life. While the app itself doesn’t have a battery life, it will drain the power on your device. You can always keep the phone or GPS unit plugged in during use to ensure it never runs out of juice. However, if you take it running or camping, a GPS app can drain the battery life quickly.
Best GPS Apps Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Before you embark on your journey, be sure to update the GPS app. This will require a WiFi or data connection and ensures you get the most updated road map possible.
- To make sure you get the correct address, double check what comes up on the screen. There are several addresses in different states that could lead you in the wrong direction.
- You can avoid paying for any app and download one that doesn’t cost anything. Free ones come with all the basic functions you will need to get from point A to point B.
- If your GPS app doesn’t function properly, make sure the location feature is enabled on your device.
Q: How do I improve the reliability of a GPS app?
A: The GPS may not be able to locate a satellite or signal to properly function. If you use the app with your smartphone, try walking around until you find a good signal. Then you can take a screenshot of the route to your destination and use that until your GPS finds a signal again.
Q: Can a GPS plan a route in different countries?
A: Yes, it should be able to locate any major destination in any country. You may have to download a map of the location before you go there to ensure you get the most up-to-date view.
Q: Does a GPS app have a power-saving mode?
A: You will have to check with the designer of the app. While some are equipped with ways to save battery life, others may not. You can turn off the screen to get a little more juice and still listen to voice directions.
For one of the best navigation apps that won’t leave you lost or stuck in traffic, consider the Magic Earth Navigation and Maps.
You can also check out the Maps.ME - Offline Maps and Navigation as another efficient and easy-to-handle GPS app.