Best Racing Wheels: Enjoy the Thrill of Speed
A quality racing wheel makes racing games easy to control and realistic
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 23, 2019
Do you know you can enjoy the thrill and the adrenaline of racing without getting into an actual car? This is possible thanks to modern technology. All you need is a racing wheel to immerse yourself in a racing game. The real challenge, however, is choosing the right racing wheel, since there are so many available. In the buying guide below, we have compiled the best three to help you make an informed buying decision.
- Best OverallLogitech G920 Racing WheelSummarySummaryFor anyone looking for a realistic racing feeling without getting out of the house, this wheel is the real deal. It features a leather-wrapped, 11-Inch wheel for comfortable, realistic racing experience.ProsProsIts steel pedals provide precise acceleration and braking for total realism. Also, its game controls are easy, using the on the wheel D-pad, console buttons, and paddle shifters. Additionally, the wheel is durable.ConsConsThe wheel cannot be used on PS3 or PS4. Some users claim that the pedals are hard to press. Also, it needs batteries for it to work.
- Best ValueThrustmaster T80 Racing WheelSummarySummaryFor an inexpensive wheel that gives a realistic feel and experience, consider the Thrustmaster racing wheel. It features advanced feedback and vibration technology that ensures you feel the road for heightened realism.ProsProsThis wheel is pocket-friendly yet durable. Also, its steering speed is not restricted, and it has a 900-degree wheel rotation for a more realistic experience.ConsConsIts pedals are close together, hence it is hard to operate. Also, the cables are too short, and it does not work with some games. The wheel works on PS4 only.
- Honorable MentionThrustmaster TMX racing wheelSummarySummaryThis wheel features an ergonomic design to adapt to all PC and Xbox One racing games. Its 900-degree force feedback, 11-inch steering wheel, and big pedal ensures a realistic racing experience. Its Touch Sense technology makes it possible to feel every detail on the road.ProsProsThe wheel comes with preinstalled Thrustmaster drivers, which are compatible with Xbox Ones and various PCs. The pedal’s angle of inclination is adjustable for a personalized experience. Also, it is compatible with Thrustmaster accessories, such as the T3PA.ConsConsIts pedals feel very cheap and may break easily. Also, the clamp is plastic, and too much pressure can damage it. Additionally, it is not compatible with PS3 and PS4.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- When buying a racing wheel, the first thing to consider is the compatibility with your system. Whether you are using a PlayStation, PC, or Xbox, there is a wheel out there just for you. Some wheels are compatible with all three, while others may fit just one of them.
- For you to be a master with a racing wheel and in the games, you have to practice consistently. Try to learn the ins, outs, and controls of the game. Start with the basics, with low powered cars for example, before moving to more complex ones.
Q: How does racing wheel work?
A: A racing wheel is a device consisting of a physical steering wheel and pedals. This set connects to your PC or Xbox via an input, and it helps you to easily control the game so long as it is compatible with your device and its operating system.
Q: Is the Xbox racing wheel compatible with a PC?
A: Compatibility depends on the wheel make and the operating system of your devices. Some wheels are cross-compatible, while others are compatible with just one device. Ensure you buy a wheel that fits your device specifications.
Q: Can a racing wheel help improve my gaming skills?
A: A racing wheel is meant to make the game feel real while still ensuring you can control it easily. However, it does not necessarily improve your gaming skills. To be more skilled, you have to practice.
For a realistic racing feeling and experience, we recommend the Logitech G920 Racing Wheel. It is comfortable and features feedback technology for extreme racing realism. However, if you are on a budget, the Thrustmaster T80 Racing Wheel is the gadget for you. It still works great at bringing the experience of racing indoors.