The Best PS4 Steering Wheels (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Make your favorite games more realistic with these top PS4 steering wheels.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON June 24, 2021
Racing and driving games played on your Playstation are a great way to bring your love of driving right into your living room, all without actually having to hit the road. You can use your Playstation 4 to try out tricks and maneuvers you’d never be able to try on your city’s streets. And you can take your gaming to new heights and make your favorite racing or driving games more realistic and lifelike, you need to invest in a steering wheel for your PS4. These accessories, which can be paired with pedals for an even more authentic driving experience, allow you to jump into the driver’s seat and control your gameplay just like you would from behind the wheel of your car. You can steer through the streets, careen around corners, and enjoy a more thrilling, more customized way to play. And there are plenty of different PS4 steering wheels available to choose from. Check out our picks for the best PS4 steering wheels right here.
A highly realistic, highly durable PS4 steering wheel with great responsiveness.
- Dual-motor force feedback
- Compatible with multiple consoles and PCs
- Includes shifter and pedals
- Slightly less precise than competitors
- Can be notchy at times
An affordable sim racing wheel that’s compact, convenient, and easy to connect.
- 180-degree rotation
- Features five suction cups
- Compatible with all driving and racing games
- Somewhat small for adults
- Suction cups aren’t very strong
A high-quality racing wheel that delivers a realistic gameplay experience and feel.
- Official racing simulator setup for PS4
- 900-degree force feedback system
- Comes with a three-pedal pedal set and sequential gear shift
- USB cord is short and limiting
- Better for entry-level racers and gamers
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of PS4 Steering Wheels
- Improved handling and control. A gaming steering wheel offers more control and better handling than your Playstation controllers. With a wheel, you can make sharp, quick turns, naturally control your speed, and even make speedy adjustments thanks to the more authentic driving experience. You can make small movements too, something a controller can't always offer.
- Better precision. Those small movements mentioned above are exactly what allow you to drive — and play — more precisely with a sim racing wheel. Your steering wheel can turn even little motions and the wheel moves into exactly the right result in a game, helping you perform better and with increased precision.
- Realistic results. When you play driving or racing simulation games on your Playstation, you’ll get more realistic results with a steering wheel. A gaming controller can offer only so much, with a few buttons, joysticks, and triggers. A steering wheel, however, makes the game real as you steer, use pedals, and even shift gears like you would in a car.
- Versatility. A PS4 steering wheel doesn’t have to be used solely for PS4 games and gaming. Many of these racing wheels offer impressive versatility and compatibility across both video game consoles and computers. You can use a single steering wheel for your Playstation as well as an Xbox or your PC.
Types of PS4 Steering Wheels
The most common type of PS4 steering wheel you’ll come across is the basic steering wheel — essentially, a steering wheel that sits on a stand. Most sim racing steering wheels look the same, allowing you to perch the wheel-based controller on a surface (like a table or a desk) so you can drive just like you would behind the wheel of your actual vehicle. The steering wheel then connects to your console using the same USB connection and port as your normal PS4 controller.
Steering Wheel and Pedal Sets
Another popular option is a steering wheel and pedal set. These sets pair a PS4 steering wheel with a set of pedals that can be placed on the floor and used just like the pedals in your car. Usually more expensive than a steering wheel alone, steering wheel and pedal sets are a great option if you want a realistic gaming experience. You can brake, shift gears (if it’s a three-pedal setup), and accelerate normally, and this can offer increased fun and more responsiveness.
Founded in Lausanne, Switzerland in 1981, Logitech is a company that’s been creating innovative and user-friendly tech gadgets, devices, and accessories for decades. While most Logitech products are designed for PCs, the brand is also well-known for its cool, sleek, and highly responsive gaming accessories like the Logitech Dual-Motor Feedback Driving Force G29 Racing Wheel, a PS4 steering wheel.
Since 1990, Thrustmaster has sold high-end controllers that help gamers reach new heights. With a product selection that’s designed by engineers and pilots who’ve flown with the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy and NASA, these high-tech controllers aren’t like any other. You can see the difference in steering wheels too, like the Thrustmaster T150 Pro Racing Wheel and the Thrustmaster T150 RS Racing Wheel.
PS4 Steering Wheel Pricing
- Under $75: For less than $75, you can find a selection of decent gaming steering wheels for your PS4. This price range typically includes entry-level options.
- $100 to $250: Most PS4 steering wheels are priced at $100 or more, all the way up to $250. This price range includes a wealth of options, like premium sets and mid-level steering wheels.
High Force Feedback
A PS4 steering wheel with high force feedback is critical. The higher the force feedback, the more realistic and responsive your gaming steering wheel will be. Force feedback is what makes a sim racing wheel feel so real — it’s what creates resistance and a natural turning feel while you’re gaming. When you release the wheel, force feedback also naturally straightens it out too. You want a high level of force feedback, ideally 900 degrees, so you can make a full two and a half turns like you would in a real vehicle.
A high-quality PS4 steering wheel will provide you with a realistic driving experience. So, you want to make sure the steering wheel you choose feels like any other real wheel. The best options will vibrate and allow you to feel the results of your driving, like bumps, impacts, and even quick, agile turns while you’re racing through the streets of any game.
Lastly, it’s important to choose a PS4 steering wheel that’s highly sensitive. With high sensitivity, you’ll get a more responsive wheel — one that allows you to drive precisely, quickly, and with agility on screen. Whether you’re playing racing games or games that require quick movements, a highly sensitive wheel will allow you to play better and see the immediate results of your steering wheel’s motions.
- Consider the Internal Parts. You might not want to worry about the tiny internal parts and pieces of a sim racing wheel, but those little components can be pretty critical. Make sure to assess and consider the bearings and how smoothly they’re rated to roll, as this can make a significant difference in your gameplay.
- Don’t Overlook Buttons. You might not think that you need any buttons if you’re switching from a PS4 controller to a gaming steering wheel, but you do. Make sure the steering wheels you’re considering include all the necessary buttons, particularly the ones you’ll find on your usual controller so you don’t have to interrupt your game at any point.
- Think About the Future. While it might seem silly, it’s important to think about the future and your console when you’re shopping for a steering wheel. If you plan on upgrading any time soon or want to spend a lot, you’ll get more value out of your purchase if you choose one that can work with other consoles. For example, a shattering wheel that works with PS4 and PS5 consoles will have you covered well.
Best PS4 Steering Wheels Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Every PS4 steering wheel performs differently and offers a different tactile experience during gameplay. Look for products that create the most realistic feel if you want a true behind-the-wheel experience.
- Simpler can be better if you’re buying your very first sim racing wheel. Consider price over top tier performance until you decide what you like and don’t like about the feel of a gaming wheel.
- The material of any PS4 sim racing wheel isn’t super important. Most gamers have personal preferences when it comes to the material, so you can worry about specialized material later on.
Q: Can you use a PS4 steering wheel on GTA 5?
As long as the steering wheel you choose works with your PS4, you should be perfectly fine to use it while playing GTA 5.
Q: Will any steering wheel work on PS4?
Some steering wheels will work on PS4 consoles and other gaming platforms. However, others are more specialized. It’s important to check the compatibility and system requirements of any steering wheel you’re considering so you’re certain it’ll work with your PS4.
Q: Are PS4 steering wheels worth it?
Using a steering wheel while you play games like GTA, Forza Motorsport 7, or Dirt Rally can make for a more realistic experience. It can also help you improve and hone entirely different skills.
Q: Where can I buy a PS4 steering wheel?
Plenty of online retailers offer PS4 steering wheels, including giants like Amazon, Best Buy, and Walmart. You can also visit brick-and-mortar stores that sell video games to find these gaming accessories.
The Logitech Dual-Motor Feedback Driving Force G29 Racing Wheel is an all-around excellent pick for any PS4 gamer in need of a steering wheel. However, the Subsonic SA5426 Racing Wheel With Pedals is also a great choice, and it offers an affordable price. Tell us what PS4 steering wheels are at the top of your list in the comments below.