Best Racing Games: Unlimited Speed and Power
Race around as your favorite characters or in your dream cars with these top-rated racing games
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
From Mario to real-life hypercars, there is a racing game for just about anybody. They let you visit fantastical, made-up lands or cruise around the real-life Nürburgring in the car of your dreams. You can zip around in a go-kart built for two or drive a hybrid supercar designed for speed and power. Here are the top-rated racing games to consider.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Racing Games
- Entertainment. The best racing games will leave you entertained for hours on end. They allow you to become another person and drive any car imaginable.
- Choice. One of the best things about a driving game is there is a wide variety of them. You don’t have to stick with playing the same level or game forever. If you want a more wacky and colorful game, there are ones featuring famous characters and quirky vehicles. Or you could go the more realistic route and choose a game that allows you to get behind the wheel of an actual car.
- Relieve stress. After a long day at work or school, coming home to wind down with a video game is a great way to destress. You can forget about anything that may be troubling you for a while and get lost in another world.
- Fellowship. Racing games can help bring people together who enjoy the racing experience. Hobbyists can play for fun, while gamers who are up for a challenge can work to outrace their friends.
Types of Racing Games
A simulator racing game is one that is based on realism. They include a selection of cars, trucks, SUVs, and more vehicles from everyday life. They also feature NASCAR, Grand Prix racing, and Formula One cars. You are able to choose between manual or automatic driving styles and a number of braking systems, and you can customize the look and style of your car.
Kart-style racing games feature zany and cartoonish graphics and effects. You choose a character such as Luigi from Super Mario Bros. and control a customizable go-kart around a number of tracks. The karts can also fly, be submersible, drive off-road, or go into space or some other impossible place.
An arcade racer combines elements of the two others and is its own unique style. While typically featured in arcades, bowling alleys, and bars and popularized by Sega, there are many arcade racing games you can play at home. They will feature more realistic cars but focus more on unrealistic stunts and gameplay. You can corner at high speeds or jump great distances after hitting a boost.
Racing Games Pricing
- $30 to $60: Here you will find racing games that have either been out for a while or are at a bargain price. Handheld racing games generally start on the lower end, while ones designed for consoles tend to be more expensive.
- $60 and up: The standard price for a brand-new video game will typically be around $60. However, there will be times when a game will be released at a higher price and feature extra bonuses, such as in-game items, statues, and other collectibles.
One top feature of a racing game is the ability to customize the car you are driving. Many, if not all, should allow you to change the paint, improve the look, and enhance the engine for better performance. You may even be able to customize the levels and characters. Racing sims even give you the option to turn on damage to your vehicle, so if you collide with a wall at 80 mph, it will more than likely be totaled.
A racing game gives you the option to go back and replay any level or track you desire. This means you can practice with a certain car or vehicle until you learn the course enough to beat old records or set new ones. Many arcade and kart style games also feature hidden areas you can find to get ahead of the rest of the players.
If you want to, you can join your friends and other racers online to challenge them. This is one way to meet new people that share the same interest or play with friends who may live far away. Many racing games also allow you to drive around in familiar settings and locations in an open world scenario without ever having to leave your home.
Downloaded content, or DLC, is an aspect of nearly every video game out today. It can range from entirely new features for the game, different areas to explore, or enhanced cars. You may have to pay extra for it, or you can buy it with the original game and download it when it becomes available.
- Extra Components: You can buy extra components to enhance the racing game experience. These can include an actual stick shift, pedals, and steering wheel.
- Data Usage: Today, the majority of gaming consoles require you to be online to download and play a video game. If you are on a fixed data plan, downloading a game can be time-consuming and use a lot of data. The game can also use a lot of data when it is up and running. If you have it on your Android or Apple smartphone, then you will either need a data plan or a Wi-Fi signal to ensure it functions properly. However, if you are on a Wi-Fi signal, then this does not apply to you at all.
- File Size: You will want to consider the size of the racing game before you download it to your system. The larger the file the more space it will take on the hard drive. Depending on the size and the manner in which you download it (Wi-Fi versus data), it could take a while before the download is complete.
Best Racing Games Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- You may be able to find a Game of the Year edition that has the majority of the DLC cars included in the game. This will save you money and time downloading the content.
- To get a better feel for racing games, consider connecting a racing wheel and pedals to the system. This makes it feel as if you are driving an actual car.
- For all online racing games, ensure you have fast internet for the best possible connection. If you have multiple people connected to the Wi-Fi at the same time, you may experience lag or loss of connection
Q: Can I cross-play from one console to another?
A: This largely depends on the racing game. While many video games allow you to play against friends with an Xbox and PS4, others will not. Check with the maker of the game to see if they enable cross-play.
Q: If I have two consoles, do I have to buy two copies of the game?
A: In some cases, yes, you will have to buy two copies of the game. For instance, if you have two Nintendo Switches, then you will need two copies of Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. However, if you have two Xbox Ones, you may not need separate copies. Microsoft has set up a system that connects one Xbox to another to allow both to play digital games owner by either owner.
Q: Do all racing games support a racing wheel?
A: No, not all racing games will support the connection of a racing wheel. The majority of PC games will work with one. Xbox, PS4, and Nintendo games may enable the use of one, but you should check with the system you own to see if there is a wheel that works with them.
For one of the best racing games to play with friends and one that is perfect for any age, consider Mario Kart 8 Deluxe.
For a more realistic racing game with a lot of custom cars and real-life tracks, check out Forza Motorsport 6.