The Best Adult Electric Scooters (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These are the best electric scooters for adults who need a new ride
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON January 4, 2021
Are you bored with riding a bike? Tired of hitting the sidewalks and streets on a basic kick scooter? Not really into skateboarding during your daily commute? Whether you’re looking for something new for work or play, an electric scooter is a perfect choice. Electric scooters exploded in popularity not too long ago, becoming many people's favorite way to catch a ride around town. And these exciting spins on traditional scooters aren’t going anywhere. With higher speeds — and less effort required — they’re ideal for commuting, running errands, meeting up with friends, and riding around the neighborhood on the weekends. Even better, many electric scooters are built for adults. If you’re thinking about getting yourself an adult electric scooter, here’s which scooters we think are worth your attention.
A powerful scooter that’s designed for commuting, with impressive range and high speed.
- Sturdy, durable construction
- Ergonomic and comfortable to ride
- High level of quality for the price
- Battery gauge can be inaccurate
- Throttle is very sensitive
- Cruise control difficult to use
An affordable scooter that’s designed for long-term durability.
- Designed for older riders
- Great torque for its low price
- Middle-of-the-road speed great for cruising
- May be too slow for commuting
An advanced, top-tier quality scooter with an impressive list of features.
- Both safe and comfortable to ride
- Uses advanced technology for cool extra features
- Covers an impressively long range on a single charge
- Large size can make it hard to transport
- Too heavy for some to carry
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Adult Electric Scooter
- Great alternative to bikes. If you’re looking to break away from bike riding or simply want something different, an electric scooter requires little effort and can get you where you need to go just as quickly — or maybe even a bit faster.
- No license required. When you’re behind the wheel of a car, you need your license. An electric scooter for adults is easy to learn and navigate, and there’s no special license or permit you need to carry.
- Compact. Perfectly portable, an electric scooter can easily navigate traffic and crowded sidewalks. These scooters are also compact and light enough to carry when you aren’t riding.
- Eco-friendly. You don’t need any fuel to operate an adult electric scooter, and there are no emissions when you ride. You’ll reduce your negative impact on the environment and reduce how often you’re filling up your car if you use your scooter often.
- Easy and safe to use. Simple and straightforward to master, you’ll be perfectly safe on an adult electric scooter. You can easily learn how to control your speed, and features like easy-to-use brakes, headlights and taillights, and even cruise control are available.
Types of Adult Electric Scooters
Electric Kick Scooters
Electric kick scooters essentially sum up most electric scooters for adults. These scooters are the most popular type — and even other types of electric scooters are kick scooters, just with extra features or special capabilities. Powered by a battery and a motor (or dual motors), these scooters require you to push with your feet, or kick off, to get them started.
All-Terrain Electric Scooters
All-terrain electric scooters are a more specialized variety of electric kick scooters. These adult scooters run on batteries and electric motors, but they’re equipped to ride over all different types of terrain. An all-terrain adult electric scooter typically features bigger, more rugged tires to handle bumpy roads and uneven surfaces as well as the ability to climb inclines.
Foldable Electric Scooters
Foldable electric scooters are another variety of electric kick scooters. These adult scooters are designed to fold up compactly for easy carrying or tossing in the trunk of a car. They’re especially great for adults who use their scooters to commute since you can fold your ride and stash it easily. They’re also a good choice if you want the most portable kind of electric scooter.
Since 2000, Razor has been one of the biggest names in scooters. After modernizing the scooter over 20 years ago, Razor expanded to create high-powered, high fun, and highly efficient electric scooters for adults like the Razor E300 Electric Scooter and the Razor E200 Electric Scooter.
Segway is a name that just about everyone associates with futuristic electric transportation. Since its founding in 1999, Segway has created personal transportation devices with innovation and advanced technology. Now, adult electric scooters like the Segway Ninebot Max Electric Kick Scooter are top-tier choices with cool, smart features.
Adult Electric Scooter Pricing
- Under $200: These scooters aren’t of the best quality, but they’re designed for fun and relaxed riding over relatively short distances.
- $200 to $400: This middle price range includes scooters of great quality, and these scooters also tend to offer more features, more power, and more speed.
- $400 and up: The most expensive adult electric scooters fall in this price range, offering the best power and most innovative features.
An electric scooter’s range is critically important — it determines how far you can ride. The range is the distance an adult electric scooter can travel before running out of power. So, if you choose a scooter with a limited range, you’ll be quite restricted. However, larger batteries can deliver great range, allowing you to go miles before the scooter is depleted.
You’ll only be able to ride as fast as your scooter’s top speed. The top speed of an adult electric scooter can vary, but most can travel around 15 miles per hour. Some higher-powered, more advanced scooters may be able to hit speeds of as much as 40 miles per hour. Look for a speed that suits your kind of riding, such as commuting, off-roading, or simply having fun.
Many other features, like range, speed, and efficiency, all depend on an electric scooter’s motor power. Typically equipped with more powerful motors than kids’ models, electric scooters for adults can start at 200 watts and reach over 1,000 watts. Some models even feature dual motors to offer more power. Extra motor power can result in higher speeds and better capabilities, like tackling hills.
You can’t forget about the brakes of an electric scooter — without them, you can’t control your speed or safely come to a stop. You need a quality braking system to stay safe while riding an adult electric scooter. Some scooters have mechanical brake systems, like foot brakes or disc brakes, while others use more high-tech electronic braking systems.
- Battery Capacity. A larger battery capacity can help you save time. You won’t need to recharge your scooter for hours as often if you opt for a larger capacity, in addition to enjoying a larger range for riding over long distances.
- Charging Time. Don’t expect an electric scooter to recharge as quickly as your smartphone or your laptop. These scooters can take upwards of 10 hours to fully recharge, which means you’ll need to plan if your scooter’s battery is running low and you’re about to head out.
- Safety Gear. Just like any other kind of moving vehicle — a bike, a skateboard, or even a basic kick scooter — you might want to don some protective safety gear before you hop on your adult electric scooter. A helmet can keep you safe from dangerous injuries, which is particularly important when you’re traveling at high speeds.
Best Adult Electric Scooters Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Practice with your electric scooter before you take it out onto any roads or city streets to make sure you’ve mastered it and can ride safely.
- If you plan to use your scooter to commute, it’s a good idea to opt for a folding model so you can easily store it at your desk.
- Even if your adult electric scooter runs out of battery, you can still ride it — you’ll just have to use it as a traditional non-electric scooter.
- It may take some time to master the brake system of your electric scooter, especially when you’re traveling fast.
Q: Can electric scooters go up hills?
Most adult electric scooters can travel up small inclines just fine. However, you’ll want a higher-powered model if you’ll be riding up larger hills or facing hills frequently.
Q: Do you need to wear a helmet for an electric scooter?
It’s best to wear a helmet to prevent dangerous — or deadly — head injuries while traveling at fast speeds on your electric scooter. It’s just like any bike, skateboard, or kick scooter.
Q: What is the range of an e scooter?
A typical electric scooter can get between 35 and 40 miles on a single charge.
The Gotrax GXL V2 Commuting Electric Scooter is our top pick for the best adult electric scooter with great versatility and capability. We also like the Razor E200 Electric Scooter, which is an affordable option that’s built for durability. Let us know which electric scooter for adults is your favorite.