We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more ›
It’s common knowledge that the best place to install speakers to create the best audio experience in your vehicle is in the doors. Most cars will come with factory door speakers, but they may not give you the right kind of sound quality you want. That’s why you should invest in a set of aftermarket units to create a better sound system in your car. Read this guide to find out more about some of the best door speakers.
Pioneer TS6900PRO SERIES
Extended tweeters that might not fit well in all car doors.
Pyle 6.5” PL63BL
Rockford Fosgate P132
FlexFit mountings that allow for slight adjustments when mounting. Great midrange and highs. A wide frequency range of 120 to 22 kiloHertz.
Why Buy Door Speakers?
- Better sound quality. Chances are that the quality of sound coming from your factory-installed speakers is quite mediocre. Most hide some of the mid and low frequencies in some audio files. Consider installing some of the best aftermarket door speakers for better quality sound. You could go for full-range car audio speakers that will give you a variety of sounds from the highs to the lows.
- Louder volume. Most aftermarket car door speakers can handle a high power output and this means that you get a higher volume of non-distorted music. If you like to play your music loud, then aftermarket door speakers paired with high-quality head units, amplifiers, and subwoofers may be the car audio upgrade that you need to turn your car into the best listening room.
- Durability. Because most of these door speakers come from top brands in the industry, you can expect them to last longer than most factory-installed speakers. Car door speakers from reputable companies come with protection grilles and rubber surroundings that ensure the units are protected from any kind of damage that may cut their life short.
- Cheap upgrade. If you would like to upgrade your music system without spending a great deal of money, then consider installing door speakers. Some of these speakers are full-range units that will give you enough bass to save you from buying more expensive woofers.
Types of Door Speakers
Also known as coaxial speakers, full-range speakers are units that have everything rolled up in one speaker. The simplest form of a full-range speaker comes with a woofer for the low frequencies and a tweeter to provide the highs. There are models that feature other drivers such as super-tweeters and midrange speakers. Coaxial speakers are available in different sizes, and generally, make great OEM replacements for factory speakers.
Component speakers use superior designs aimed at providing the best sound quality possible. A basic component speaker will come with a separate woofer for the base, tweeters, and detached crossovers that ensure realistic sounds are sent to the different drivers. The units are designed to work harmoniously together, but are installed in different parts of a car.
Pioneer Corporation, colloquially known as just Pioneer, is a Japanese digital entertainment manufacturing company. The multinational company was founded in Tokyo, Japan, where it's headquartered, by Nozomu Matsumoto. This company focuses on the production and sale of automotive navigation systems, PC drives, DVD players, DJ equipment, and car audio systems. One of Pioneer’s top car audio products is the Pioneer TS6900PRO SERIES door speaker.
Pyle Audio is an American company that makes consumer electronics and a range of audio equipment, sold through online stores and storefront retailers across the world. The company also manufactures stereo systems, DVD players, tablet PCs, projectors, metal detectors, and digital cameras. The company was founded in 1960 and is currently headquartered in Brooklyn, New York. One of its bestselling 6.5-inch speakers with good bass is the Pyle 6.5” PL63BL.
Rockford Corporation is an American company that specializes in making mobile audio amplifiers, subwoofers, speakers, moto-marine source units, and mobile auto security. The company was founded in 1980 and is currently headquartered in Tempe, Arizona. This company is popularly known for its car speakers that are sold internationally. The Rockford Fosgate P132 and the Rockford Fosgate R165X3 are some of the company’s affordably priced door speaker units.
Door Speaker Pricing
- Under $50: The speakers in this category may be cheap, but most will have all the necessary components and features for great sound quality. The sound may not be better than the more expensive units, but the majority are better than factory speakers.
- $50 to $100: Speakers in this category have good quality sound, are designed for high sensitivity, and are made of durable materials. Most of the speakers here are sold in pairs and have great power output.
- Above $100: If you are looking for crisp, clear sound from high-end products, this is the price category to choose from. Most of the speakers here are from top audio system manufacturers, and typically have great designs that fit in almost all vehicles. You can also expect to get the clear sound across all the highs and lows, including great bass.
The power-handling capacity of a speaker lets you gauge how much power the speakers can handle without blowing out. This criterion will largely be affected by the power rating of the car stereo or amplifier; either unit will provide the power output for the speakers. Therefore, if the stereo or amplifier system has low output, buying a speaker with a high RMS power may not be a good idea.
In an effort to achieve a clean separation of frequencies that reach the woofer and tweeter, the speaker should have an external crossover. This will ease the work of the tweeter and the woofer as they will only receive frequencies they can handle. The crossover typically directs the high frequencies to the tweeter and low frequencies to the woofer.
When you are shopping for new door speakers, make sure you know everything about your factory speakers. If you are ready to replace them, take them out, and take the correct measurements. Fortunately, most manufacturers make custom-made speakers for almost every car model, and you can get one that matches your factory speaker’s configurations.
Sensitivity refers to the measure of the sound produced by the speaker with respect to the power it gets from the audio system. If you have a low-power stereo system or head unit, you should consider buying high sensitivity speakers because they will work towards giving you high-quality sound. If the system has a high-power output, low sensitivity speakers will work just fine.
- Mounting Depth: Go for speakers with a shallow mounting depth. Then you won’t have to make any modifications to your car door to ensure that the speaker fits. Also, you may not have to think about buying a speaker enclosure.
- Surround Materials: The materials that surround the woofer cone determine how well the speaker delivers quality sound. These materials, therefore, need to be durable, highly flexible, and strong enough to withstand extreme temperatures. Rubber is the best material for the job.
Best Door Speaker Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- To enjoy the best music playback, you may want to stick to high-quality files. Most of these files will take up more space, but the quality you get is worth it. Avoid compressing your music files, as that might compromise the quality of your music.
- Consider buying an amplifier with your new aftermarket speakers, as it can significantly improve the quality of sound. It will prevent your speakers from blowing out or the connecting wires from burning. Make sure you select the best quality and make the necessary settings.
- If you want to bring the bottom octave of your music to life, you should add a good quality subwoofer to your car audio system. The subwoofer will relieve the burden of the lower frequencies from the full-range speakers and offer a better audio experience.
Q: Are all aftermarket speakers compatible with all car models?
A: Not necessarily. There are many speakers that will not fit in some cars due to extended features like the grille or tweeters. To be on the safe side, take the measurements of your factory speakers and go for aftermarket speaker options that advertise similar configurations.
Q: Do I need an amplifier with full-range speakers?
A: An amplifier is not necessary, but it is a good option for better sound quality. Amplifiers send a cleaner audio signal to the speakers compared to a head unit or a car stereo. An amplifier also regulates the power that the speakers receive to prevent blown out speakers, and enhances the volume output of the speakers.
Q: Does the cone shape of a speaker make a difference in sound quality?
A: Yes, it does. The cone shape (whether made from synthetics, treated paper, or composites) creates a conducive environment for lower frequencies and reproduces a stronger bass note. On top of that, it’s also easier to mount a cone-shaped speaker than a 4 by 6 speaker system.
Our top pick is the Pioneer TS6900PRO SERIES. It’s one of the best car speakers for sound quality and bass.
If you are looking for an affordable car door speaker, you can check out the Pyle 6.5” PL63BL.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more