The Best Car Speakers For Bass (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
These car speakers will take the bass of your vehicle’s sound system to new heights.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Heather Fishel / LAST UPDATED ON March 29, 2021
The speakers might not be the first feature you consider when you’re checking out a car, but they’re very important. Who wants to drive or ride with subpar sound? From crisp clarity to deep bass, the details of your car’s speakers can make a big difference when you stream music or turn on the radio. And if you want strong bass performance from your car’s sound system, you likely aren’t getting it from your basic stock speakers. However, swapping out your current speakers for an upgraded set with more bass, more power, and more of the sound you want is easy. You just have to find the right car speakers, speakers that are designed to really deliver the bass.
If you want to swap out your current speakers for a set of the best car speakers for bass, you’ll want to check out our picks right here.
A pair of speakers that deliver a full range of sound with extra volume and detail.
- Well-articulated mids and lows
- Great bass reproduction
- Crisp sound with a wide range
- Exterior plastic ring around the speakers can be weak
- May require adjustments to fit perfectly
Durable and well-protected against wear and tear to last long while delivering clean, clear sound output.
- Speakers perform very well for their small size
- A lot of bass for their price
- Strong sound clarity
- Can shake at max volume
- May not fit as many models as the product claims
Impressive quality in both speaker materials and construction, with increased efficiency and better bass response.
- Rich high frequencies and smooth, deep lows
- Extra bass is clean-sounding
- Wide frequency range is great
- Not very long-lasting, especially for the price
- Installation can be tricky in some vehicles
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Car Speakers For Bass
- Creates a different driving experience. You’ll add satisfying lows and new details to every song you play while you’re on the road. It’s like listening to your music in an entirely new way.
- Adds power to your favorite sounds. Extra bass brings extra power, giving you new surprises and sounds without rattling your car windows. You’ll feel a depth and different low frequencies with bass-enhanced speakers.
- You’ll enjoy more customized sound. A set of car speakers for bass can help you fine-tune your vehicle’s audio performance. You can opt for speakers with different sensitivity, power, and more.
- Offers a simple upgrade. Car speakers with more bass can be a simple and easy change to make, but you’ll notice the effects immediately. The right speakers with the right amount of bass make a big difference.
Types of Car Speakers For Bass
Coaxial car speakers, or full-range car speakers, are convenient and comprehensive. These speakers include absolutely everything you need to upgrade your car’s sound system, making it easy to replace your factory speakers without any fuss. Coaxial speakers contain all of the necessary components in a single house, featuring a tweeter, a woofer, and more. You can opt for different varieties of coaxial speakers, like three-way and four-way systems, for extra customization. They’re the most common type of all-inclusive car speaker system, and they come in many different shapes, sizes, and prices to suit your vehicle’s existing speaker locations.
Component speakers are a more specialized type of car speaker setup. They offer the highest quality sound, and they’re made up of separate speaker components that are all housed individually. The sound systems’ tweeters and woofers are installed separately, and you may need special mounts for these components. Component speakers tend to have a more complicated installation process — for example, you might need to cut holes in your door panel or mount items to the dashboard — and work best when a professional installs them. This speaker setup can also be more expensive.
JBL is just one brand from the storied audio company Harman International — you might recognize its sibling, Altec Lansing. Since the 1940s, JBL has produced impressive audio equipment, innovating to bring quality sound to customers in new ways. Products like the JBL GTO939 3 Way Car Speakers and JBL GTO629 Premium 6.5-Inch Speakers show off the quality car sound systems JBL has to offer.
Pyle, or Pyle USA Electronics, is a leader in car audio systems. First founded in the 1960s, Pyle got its start by manufacturing high-quality, highly advanced woofers. Now, Pyle’s lineup of car audio equipment includes premium speakers meant to turn your vehicle into the perfect listening environment with products like the Pyle 6.5” Three-Way Sound Speaker System.
If there’s a brand that’s serious about car audio, it’s Rockford Fosgate. All of the products in the Rockford Fosgate lineup are designed and created by car audio fanatics to offer the absolute best listening experience on the road. Speakers like Rockford Fosgate R165X3 Prime 6.5” Coaxial Speakers are evidence of the high-performance options you can buy.
Car Speakers For Bass Pricing
- Under $50: Budget car speaker options can be found for less than $50. However, you won’t have the most refined or high-quality sound with speakers within this price range.
- $50 to $100: This is the mid-range option for car speakers with bass. Speakers at this price point can upgrade your factory speakers with crisp, smoother sound and stronger power and bass.
- $100 and up: In this price range, you’ll find car speakers with quality components, construction, and sound. These speakers are more advanced and more specialized, and they can offer enhancements that lower-priced options typically do not.
Power handling is the amount of power that car speakers are able to handle. Measured by watts and RMS power, there are low power systems that can handle low energy levels and high power systems that do the opposite. For more bass, you’ll want more power. But it’s also important to consider the amount of power that your speakers will need to handle.
Car speakers’ ability to create awesome bass depends on the woofer — and the woofer’s materials. The woofer handles low sound frequencies, and it’s where bass comes from. So, you’ll want to choose speakers that have a quality woofer. Look for woofers made with rubber for flexibility, which can create exceptionally deep bass and woofer cones that are lightweight yet stiff. A woofer cone made out of polypropylene is one of the best options.
Speaker sensitivity determines how well your car speakers can deliver sounds at different power levels. While many car speakers are low powered, you’ll want to choose speakers with a sensitivity level that matches your vehicle. For example, a car stereo that features a power rating of 10 to 20 watts RMS would be great when paired with high-sensitivity speakers of 90 or more decibels. If you have a high power system, you can opt for low-sensitivity speakers.
- Measurements. It’s important to measure both the diameter and the depth of car speakers so you know whether or not they’ll fit your car. Don’t assume that all speakers are the same size or that they’ll fit your exact make and model.
- Frequency Range. Speakers’ frequency ranges determine the audible frequencies that they can reproduce. If you’re looking for a lot of bass, you’ll want speakers that have a lower bottom frequency — you can find speakers with frequencies as low as 20 kHz for better, stronger bass.
- Two-Way vs. Three-Way Speakers. Consider whether two-way or three-way speakers will better meet your bass needs. Two-way speakers have just a tweeter and woofer. With a mid-range component as well as a tweeter and woofer, three-way speakers can add benefits like a higher frequency range for added crispness no matter what you’re listening to.
- Crossovers. Speakers without crossovers will mix signals and frequencies, which can result in less-than-ideal performance. If you choose car speakers with a crossover, you’ll have more finely tuned sounds and be able to use an equalizer to achieve the perfect mix of bass and more.
Best Car Speakers For Bass Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure you carefully measure the available space for speakers inside your car, including the speaker size and mounting depth, to get the right fit.
- Speaker power and volume are closely tied to each other, so consider the kind of power you’ll need to turn up the volume at your preferred level.
- Look for car speakers that offer the best quality for their price. A mix of quality components and quality sound at a price within your budget offers the best value — and it can make a significant difference to your car’s audio.
- If heavy bass is your goal, you’ll want to look for car speakers that have dedicated woofers. These speaker setups are better equipped to deliver the bass you want with the right power and attributes.
Q. Which car speaker is best for bass?
There are a number of excellent choices for car speakers that’ll offer better bass. Our choice is the Pyle 6.5” Three-Way Sound Speaker System, which offers great bass reproduction and results.
Q. How can I increase the bass of my car speakers?
There are a few ways you can get more bass. You can add a subwoofer and amp to your car’s sound system, which will deliver the most powerful results. You can also adjust your bass and treble tone controls to fine-tune the sounds coming out of your speakers.
Q. How much does a car speaker for bass cost?
The price of car speakers can vary widely. You can find speakers for less than $50, and some options can cost upwards of $100 to $200. It depends on the type of speaker you choose as well as the quality.
The Pyle 6.5” Three-Way Sound Speaker System is our pick for the best car speakers for bass, with well-rounded smoothness in addition to bass. If you’re looking for a lower price and good quality, Boss Audio Systems CH6530 Car Speakers are a solid option. Let us know which car speakers are your favorites for upping the bass and making an impression.