Best Car Trash Bags: Our Top Picks to Keep Your Car Fresh
Keep your car neat and tidy with the best car trash bags
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Keeping your car neat and tidy can be a bit of a struggle. If you’ve got friends, colleagues, and especially children as frequent passengers, a messy back seat and potentially sticky floor are just some of the things you might need to deal with. Not to fear, there is a quick and easy solution in the form of a car trash can. Read on to find out everything you need to know about the best car trash bags out there.
The original leakproof car garbage bag that stands up to the challenge.
- Able to contain 3 gallons of trash, heavy-duty strap, and a stain-proof liner that’s easy to clean.
- Heat-sealed seams are not as sturdy as stitched seams, meaning this one is not quite as durable as competing models.
This car trash bag is leak-proof and contains any food or liquid spills. It is collapsible and takes up very little space in a car.
- The trash bag is versatile and also serves as a storage bag for clothes and toys.
- It is made from quality materials and is strong and durable.
- It is not ideal for people who have kids, as it is quite small in size (about 10 inches tall).
- It also takes up legroom, as the Velcro is on the bottom and not on the side.
A space-saving, leakproof garbage bin that will contain odors when in use.
- Compact design, 1.5-gallon capacity, StuffTop lid that keeps odors under control, durable vinyl lining, and storage pockets.
- Unfortunately, this one doesn’t work with every center console due to the strap design.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy a Car Trash Bag?
- Less mess. The biggest benefit of having a car trash bag is you’ll have a designated place for wrappers, empty bottles, and other items that need to be disposed of, so you’ll never have to deal with a messy car again.
- Neat and tidy. If you’ve ever been embarrassed to offer a ride to your mom or boss because of that fast food container you’ve got sitting in the back seat, a car trash bag can make those worries a thing of the past.
- Extra storage space. Car trash bags often come with additional pockets on the outside of the container for storing small items like water bottles, juice boxes for the kids, or even snack packs. That makes them an ideal road trip companion to keep everything organized. Plus, you have the added bonus of a trash receptacle right where it’s needed the most.
- Sleek appearance. Sure, your car trash bag needs might be met with a conventional plastic bag or even a brown paper sack, but compare the overall look of those options to a sleek black car trash bag and you’ll know the difference. Not only do specially made auto garbage bags win in the design department, but they’re also much more functional.
- Contain the trash. Simply put, car trash bags excel at keeping trash in a place where it can’t cause an additional mess. Think about a time you used a plastic bag as a trash bag in your car. Chances are stuff fell out—auto trash bags don’t have that problem. Plus, you’ll be able to attach the bag securely somewhere it won’t be in the way.
Drive Auto Products
Headquartered in Byron Center, Michigan, Drive Auto Products has made a name for itself in the last decade. Making a variety of organizational products for your car, its car bins are some of the best on the market with their innovative liners. Top sellers include The Drive Bin and The Drive Bin XL.
High Road Organizers
Based in Portland, Maine, High Road Organizers is one of the top brands in the automotive organizer business. Its innovative designs and high-quality craftsmanship have been honed since its foundation in 1990. Some of its bestsellers are the StashAway Car Trash Can and the TrashStash Leakproof Trash Can.
Founded in 2016, EPAuto is quickly taking the automotive accessory market by storm. From its Walnut, California headquarters, it has been designing and improving a number of products, from air filters to car trash bags. Its most popular products include the Waterproof Car Trash Bin and the Lidded Car Trash Can.
- Under $10: At this price point, you’ll find a variety of basic bins that may or may not be water, leak, or spill-proof. If you’ve got kids, we recommend investing in a bin that has these features so you can avoid a sticky mess.
- $10-$20: A wide variety of premium-quality car trash bags are available in this range. Most of these will have a lid, a sturdy mounting mechanism, and leakproof.
- Over $20: If you’re looking for something that also doubles as an organizer, this price range will have what you’re searching for. Most models at this price are durable, well-designed, and aesthetically pleasing, making them worth the investment.
Keep your car and the earth clean from your trash.
Waterproof and Leakproof
The best models will be both waterproof and leakproof. Depending on the type, there will be either a removable liner or a permanent one that has to be spot cleaned. We recommend getting a model with a removable liner to make cleanup quick and easy. Plus, you’ll have another layer to protect against messy spills.
Check out the type of mounting system each car trash bag option has. Some tend to attach to the middle console with a simple strap, while a few have a more sophisticated and sturdier system. Other models attach to the back of a headrest using hooks or straps, while others still rely on being jammed between the middle console and a seat.
If you’re keen on keeping messes properly contained, a car trash bag with a lid is a must-have. Not only can a lid help keep smells at bay, but it can also keep messy trash where it belongs. Another plus is that a lid can hide the garbage, making your car appear neat and tidy.
- Size: Bigger bags hold more trash and larger items like bottles or cups. If you prefer going a long time without having to empty it, or if you go on long road trips, a larger car trash bag is the way to go. Keep in mind that these will be a bit bulkier overall, so if you’re short on space, consider a smaller model instead.
- Shape: An important consideration, especially if you have a small car with a cramped back seat, is its shape. A number of models feature a basic square or rectangular design that can be quite bulky, while others are higher but flatter, saving you some width. Others still are cylindrical in shape and take up the most space.
- Material: You’ll want something that’s easy to clean, especially if your model doesn’t have a removable liner. Waterproof vinyl materials are the most user-friendly, with other plastic-based materials coming in next. Velcro attracts a lot of dirt and crumbs, so it’s best to avoid models that use this material.
- Pockets: If you want your bin to double up as a storage space, pockets are the way to go. They’re also great to hold snacks for your kids on road trips and have the added benefit of being right next to the trash bag, keeping everything neat and tidy. We recommend mesh pockets as these are easy to use for kids and adults alike, and easy to clean.
Best Car Trash Bags Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you’ve got a standing car trash bag, consider adding a small weight to the bottom of the bin to prevent it from tipping over. A good solution to this is a small Ziploc bag filled with sand.
- Even if your car trash bag has a permanent liner, it’s a good idea to add another trash bag over it to keep things neat. It will also make cleaning out the car trash bag a lot easier, and you won’t have to spot clean sticky messes.
- Your car trash bag can double as a small car organizer when not in use as a bin. Simply make sure it’s clean before use and go ahead and organize your back seat with this great multifunctional item.
- If you’ve got small kids, it’s a good idea to keep the trash bag out of their reach. Otherwise, you might end up with a mess in the back of your car.
A little bit of organization can help prevent messes from growing inside your car.
Q: How much trash fits into one bag?
A: That depends a lot on the size of the bag you get. Some are extra-large and will fit quite a few bottles, wrappers, and other packaging. Others are on the smaller side and are really only designed for the occasional snack bar wrapper. If you know you’ll be using it a lot, invest in a bigger bag.
Q: Do litter bags contain garbage odors?
A: Yes and no. If you’ve got a car trash bag with a lid, chances are any smells will be at least somewhat trapped. That being said, we don’t advise storing anything super smelly in your car trash bag. They’re really only meant for food packaging, snack wrappers, and empty bottles and cans.
Q: Can I use any trash bag as a liner?
A: You definitely could, but keep in mind that the dimensions of random trash bags probably won’t match up to the dimensions of the car trash bag. That could lead to some messy (and sticky) situations. If your car trash bag is designed to be used with a liner, we suggest using the liners recommended by the manufacturer.
Our top pick is the High Road TrashStash Leakproof Trash Can. Its large size and sturdy design make it an ideal option for keeping your car neat and tidy.
If you’re looking for something a little more wallet-friendly, check out the Zone Tech Universal Portable Trash Can. It will keep your trash where it belongs.