LAST UPDATED: August 15, 2019
Best RV Accessories: Everything You Need for Great Camping Trips
The right RV accessories can make or break your camping trip
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON August 15, 2019
With vacation season in full swing, there are some items you may require to deck out your RV and enjoy camping to the fullest. In this buying guide we’ll show you everything you need when it comes to the best RV accessories on the market. They will enhance your outdoor experience and make your trips much more enjoyable.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Accessories
- Keep your motorhome tidy. An item such as a pop-up trash bin is super helpful for keeping everything neat and tidy. You’ll find it a useful tool when you’re having big summer BBQs.
- Drive safely. An important part of a great camping experience is getting to the campground safely. To do that, you need to make sure that your tires are in good condition and pressurized correctly. One way to do that is by investing in a tire pressure monitoring system.
- Lock the tires. To properly park an RV, you should always use wheel chocks. There are many different ones on the market, so you’re sure to find one to fit your needs.
- Eliminate waste. We all know that emptying out a sewage container can be a pain. To make it a little easier, consider investing in a new sewer hose kit. It might not make things more pleasant, but at least there won’t be any leaks.
- Electricity where you need it. When you’re out in the wild, you might still want to have some creature comforts. To do just that, ensure that you have a heavy-duty outdoor extension cord on hand.
One of the biggest names in RV accessories, Camco has your back, whether you need a sewage hose kit for your holding tank, a water filter, an extension cord, or an RV circuit analyzer. Based in Sayre, Penn., they’ve got a couple of best sellers. Check out the company’s wheel chocks, which are very important when traveling.
An oldie but a goodie, Winegard has been making antennas for decades. The Iowa-based company stresses excellence in its engineering when it comes to antenna design and manufacturing. A best seller is the Pathway X2 antenna.
Based in Garden City, N.Y., Mikasa is a division of Lifetime Brands, which makes a number of kitchen accessories. Its RV accessories are quite popular for two main reasons: they’re great quality and they come at great prices. One top product includes this Gourmet Basics Storage Caddy.
RV Accessories Pricing
- Under $20: A number of quality RV accessories can be found at this price point, but it really depends on what you’re looking for. If you want small kitchen accessories, chances are you’ll find some good stuff. However, if you want a circuit analyzer for this price, you’re probably out of luck.
- $20-$100: There are a wide variety of accessories available at this mid-range price point. Again, it all depends on what you’re looking for, some items include wheel chocks, tire pressure gauges, and storage caddies.
- Over $100: In this price range, you’ll find a myriad of high-quality accessories, from TV antennas to heavy-duty RV covers. If you’re looking for long-lasting accessories, it’s worth investing a little more.
No matter what type of item you buy, you want the quality to be on par with the price. Plus, you want to make sure that what you’re getting will be durable. Look for the common hallmarks of a good quality item: a reputable brand, good workmanship, and solid material choices and construction.
This is worth repeating: you get what you pay for. However, there are cases where spending more will not get you a better product. For example, RV TV antennas tend to be pricey, but ones that cost a couple of hundred dollars will often be just as good as pricier models.
- Compatibility: Will the item work with your RV kitchen? Will the coupling fit onto the sewage pipe? These are the kinds of questions you should consider when making a purchasing decision for new RV accessories.
- Fit: If it has a size or other specification that makes it unique, make sure that it works with your RV. For instance, RV covers come in quite a large range of styles and sizes, so you’ll want to ensure a perfect fit for an item like this.
- Style: This will matter more to some people than others, but if you value aesthetics, you’ll want to consider the style and look of the accessories you’re buying and make sure they’re consistent with what you’ve already got.
Best RV Accessories Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The Tri-Lynx Lynx Levelers are an RV accessory that absolutely every RV owner will want to have onboard his or her camper. This 10 pack of modular-designed levelers is versatile, stackable, and able to be configured in just about any way to meet your leveling needs.
There’s nothing worse than an uneven campsite that throws your RV off balance — and this RV accessory can fix that problem. You can use these levelers as a support base by stacking them in a pyramid to the height your RV needs, placing them under wheels, axles, and even jacks.
They measure 8.5 x 8.5 inches and are 1.5 inches tall. The levelers interlock for secure stability, and they can withstand up to 40,000 pounds of weight. Even more importantly, these durable levels are backed by a 10-year warranty to ensure you’re getting the support and stability you need.
This water filter is designed for RVs, campers, motor homes, and more, so users don't have to deal with sediment, odors, or bad taste in their drinking water. The filter removes chlorine, VOC, THMs, and other contaminants. The filter is NSF certified and features coconut shell activated carbon.
One of the best things about this filter is that it’s simple to attach it to a standard water or gardening hose. It filters out rust, heavy metals, and other materials you don't want to consume. It's a good value for what you get, and it does a good job of purifying the water. ExcelPure has a six-month return policy and a lifetime warranty on every filter.
However, the threads have a tendency to strip fairly easily, so you have to be careful during installation or else the filter won't adhere properly to the hose, and it will leak. It may also not be as high quality as some rival products.
There aren't many things that are more important than your RV toilet, and that’s why Walex Porta-Pak Holding Tank Deodorizer Drop-Ins are a great accessory. Cleaning your RV’s holding tank is a critical, but it’s a dirty job. This RV accessory makes the tough task easy by providing unbeatable odor prevention and cleaning in a single drop-in pod.
These deodorizer pods are biodegradable and formaldehyde-free, and they dissolve quickly. Once inside your RV’s holding tank, they deliver a fresh fragrance, eliminate odors, break down waste, break down toilet paper, and clean the holding tank.
They offer seven full days of powerful odor control to keep your RV’s toilet smelling fresh, and they’re suitable for holding tanks up to 40 gallons in size. There’s no need for messy liquids, chemicals, or other cleaning products — these pods will do it all with one flush.
- For RV covers, make sure that they always dry out before you fold them and put them away. Otherwise, you might end up with a mildew and mold problem.
- Likewise, RV covers tend to bleach with direct sunlight on them, so make sure that whichever one you buy has a UV coating to minimize the damage the material will take.
- RV TV antennas can be a little finicky, so to get the best reception make sure you’re in an open area and you don’t have any interference nearby.
- For other accessories, like couplers, towers, and other cables and fittings, ensure that you’ve got a model that will fit your RV.
- Wheel chocks and other similar wheel blocking items need to be large enough to block off whatever wheel size you have. Make sure you measure properly and use one size bigger when in doubt rather than one size that’s too small.
- If you’re purchasing RV gadgets that are usable and disposable (i.e., trash bags, motor oil, paper towels, etc.), see if you can get a better deal by purchasing larger packs. This can be a great way to save on what you need, and it’s always good to have an extra on standby.
Q: What RV accessories do I need?
A: That depends a lot on you and your RV. For example, what kind of camping do you like to do? What destinations do you frequent the most? These factors will affect the kind of RV accessories you need. There are, however, basics that every RV owner should have, including circuit analyzers, tire pressure gauges, wheel chocks, a water pressure regulator, and a good RV cover. A fire pit is optional.
Q: Should I get a TV antenna for my RV?
A: The obvious benefit is that you can watch TV wherever you are, which is useful on longer trips and if you have kids who might otherwise quickly get bored. Other than that, it’s really a personal preference whether or not an RV TV antenna is a necessity. If you don’t want TV, you could also consider adding wifi via a charger hotspot instead (a great addition for cell phone calls too).
Q: What should I look out for when buying an RV cover?
A: Quality is most important. You’ll want one that is made out of UV-safe materials and that’s been manufactured in a way that makes it durable. It should also be water repellent or even waterproof.
Q: Can I buy a kit with all the must-have RV accessories?
A: Kits can and do exist, but we suggest buying each item separately so that you have full control over the quality and quantity of the items. Take your time to research everything so that you make the right purchasing decisions for your RV life.
Our top RV accessory pick is the Tri-Lynx Lynx Levelers. Safety is super important, so making sure your RV won’t budge while it’s parked is essential.
Another great, lower-cost RV accessory is the EXCELPURE Inline RV Water Filter. It’s a great addition to make your potable water even better.