The Best ATV Hunting Accessories (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Get the right accessories for your four-wheeler for a fun hunting experience.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Norah Tarichia / LAST UPDATED ON March 8, 2021
Many hunters are turning to ATVs (all-terrain vehicles) to take them away from the expanding suburbia and into the great outdoors. This is because ATVs can take you to the rugged trails where a standard vehicle can’t access. Therefore, it becomes important to equip these vehicles with the right hunting accessories. Ideally, these accessories should help you perfect your hunting skills or at least offer a certain level of comfort that will make your hunt easier and more enjoyable.
But with so many options to choose from, how do you know which accessory is best for your next hunting expedition? Well, our buying guide will help take the pain out of swimming through the many options on the market.
This is a universal phone mount that’s compatible with most Android and iOS devices. It uses rubber caps and spring tension to hold your phone in place.
- Easy to mount and adjust
- Made of sturdy and reliable material
- Maintains a secure grip of the phone
- Includes a rubber tether for added security
- May push the volume button on some Android devices
- Leaves your phone exposed to road dirt and debris
This is a gun or bow rack that mounts on the handlebar. It’s a two-piece set with rubber fins on each mount to provide a secure fit.
- Comes with a universal mounting system
- Can be customized to fit different-sized objects
- Each mount is fully rotatable
- Durable rubber mounts
- Not as secure as most dedicated gun racks
- Smaller than most gun racks
This is a well-built game hoist that can hold 400 pounds of game in the air for hours. It attaches to your ATV’s hitch receiver and balances on adjustable foot support.
- Functional design that’s easy to use
- Can be used for hoisting gear or game
- Foot support relieves pressure from your ATVs hitch receiver
- Installs on trucks, UTVs, and ATVs
- Has a lower load capacity than other game hoists within its price range
- Somewhat unstable with heavy loads
- Can be a bit challenging to assemble
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of ATV Hunting Accessories
- Carry game easily. There are lots of options for cargo racks and storage boxes for your ATV. Most are large enough to hold game and won’t bog down your machine. Also, most ATV cargo units are more resistant to wear so you can use them for years.
- Carry weapons safely. Carrying bows, crossbows, or forearms on your ATV can be risky, especially if the trail is rough and you haven’t secured the weapons correctly. You can get racks and cases that will help you safely transport your weapons to and from the trail.
- Hide your quad. Camouflage seat covers and full ATV covers can make your ATV look more natural in the outdoors. You can also use one to hide your ATV so animals don’t damage your gear.
- Customize your machine. Accessories such as LED lights, aftermarket windshields, cargo carriers, and saddlebags can upgrade the look of your ride by adding more style to it. You can get more decorative items to make your quad look like a mean hunting machine.
Types of ATV Hunting Accessories
Storage units on an ATV can be beneficial to a hunter. You can use them to keep your hunting gear secure or to store a few snacks for your hunting trip. Most ATV storage units are designed with reinforced and weatherproof material so they can withstand being used in the harsh outdoors. You can opt for a simple hunting backpack, saddle-mounted storage bags, a compact storage box, or a cargo rack.
Gun Cases and Racks
Since it can be tricky to transport your firearms and other hunting weapons on an ATV, gun cases and racks make it safer to carry them into the bumpy trails. Gun cases come in a range of sizes that can hold single or multiple firearms, while gun racks come in different styles but leave your weapons exposed to road debris.
For the times when you need to get your ATV unstuck from a mud pit, deep snow, or any low traction area when you are offroading, you need an ATV winch. They come in different designs and will have a standard pulling capacity (typically ranging from 2,000 to 10,000 pounds). They can also be used for a hoisting game to make it easier to skin or you can pull it to a smoother surface so you can dress it easily.
While you can use any other type of ATV cover, a camouflage cover can make your ATV blend in with nature so it doesn’t scare away the animals. The cover will also help protect your ATV from the elements so you can find your machine dry and in good condition for a comfortable ride back home. It will also help to keep your gear and other accessories clean.
Champion Power Equipment
From its inception in 2003, Champion Power Equipment (CPE) has maintained a growing reputation in manufacturing some of the best power equipment in the outdoor and automotive industry. It’s headquartered in California, but has other operating facilities spread out in North America. Some of its products include power generators, pumps, pressure washers, winches, and more.
Kolpin is a Minnesota-based manufacturer of aftermarket accessories for offroad drivers, hunters, ranchers, and outdoorsmen. The company traces its roots back to 1943 when Howard Kolpin started the company to make a few goods that he could use while in the outdoors. Throughout the years, it has grown to make more innovative products, including gun boots, winches, ATV seat bags, ATV seat covers, hitches, and more.
All-Rite Products was founded in 1984 and is popular for being one of the first companies to make ATV accessories with the average hunter, rancher, farmer, and recreational rider in mind. It’s headquartered in Utah. Some of its best-selling ATV gear includes gun and bow racks, fishing rod holders, tool holders, and crossbow holders.
HME Products is a subsidiary brand of Good Sportsman Marketing and was founded in 2000 in Irvin, Texas. HME stands for Hunting Made Easy, which highlights their specialty—they design products that can be used before, during, and after hunting. Some of these products include camera accessories, scent masking sprays, saws, knives, and game hoists.
ATV Hunting Accessories Pricing
- Under $50: While you can find any ATV accessory at just about any price point, budget this much for more portable accessories such as LED lights, phone mounts, seat covers, multitools, compact saddlebags, and more.
- $50-$100: This price range holds a wide range of products with the higher end being well-designed accessories such as storage boxes, saddlebags, tool racks, gun racks, and more.
- $100 and up: This price point typically features better quality products that are more resistant to wear and tear. You can also find permanent fixtures such as winches or larger equipment such as loading ramps.
When in the outdoors, most of your accessories will be exposed to unpleasant weather, road debris, and other harsh conditions on the trail. Therefore, it's important to choose accessories that are designed to hold up to whatever the trail may throw at them. So, on top of choosing weatherproofed material, also look for impact-resistant material that can withstand the shocks and bangs it may experience.
You need an accessory that will fit on your ATV. Carrying bulky items not only makes your ride uncomfortable but can also be hazardous. If you need to install large items such as storage units, take the measurements of your machine and get a unit that can fit within the space available without compromising your sitting space. Alternatively, you can buy accessories that are specifically designed for your ATV so you can get a perfect fit.
- Purpose. Consider if the accessory you need is recreational or hunting-related to determine if it's worth your money. If you only take your ATV out for a hunt once every few months, then you may not need to splurge on items such as a sound system.
- Versatility. It can be beneficial to have an accessory that you can use on other vehicles besides your ATV. For example, you can use the same ATV winch or game hoist for your truck.
Best ATV Hunting Accessories Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Ensure you don't void your ATV manufacturer’s warranty by installing semi-permanent or permanent accessories.
- Remember to carry emergency supplies such as first aid kits, firestarters, multitools, or an all-purpose vehicle emergency kit to be ready for any unexpected situation.
- Consider carrying a compact and portable power generator so you can avoid straining your machine’s battery.
- On top of having the right hunting gear, it’s important to wear the right safety gear for riding your ATV. This includes a helmet, safety gloves, goggles, and riding boots.
Q: Is hunting on the decline?
Hunting may be on the decline for younger people but people over the age of 35 are still aggressive about the sport. However, there’s a high possibility that the younger generation will catch on with the hunting culture.
Q: Which states hunt the most?
The states of Texas, Alaska, Montana, Idaho, South Dakota, North Dakota, Wisconsin, and Minnesota have a high percentage of hunters.
Q: Can you make a living hunting?
Hunting is mostly done for sport but it’s possible to get short-term income from being a hunting guide.
Q: What's the easiest animal to hunt?
If you are a beginner, you can start by hunting squirrels since they are easy to find.
We rated the Ram X-Grip Phone Mount as the best overall accessory since every hunter needs a safe mount for their phone when blasting across the trails. It’s a sturdy phone mount that resists damage even when exposed to the harsh outdoors. If you are looking for an affordable gun or bow rack, we recommend the All-Rite Products Pack Rack Plus.