The Best RV Covers: Keep Your Camper Safe From Sun, Dust, and More
Keep your RV in good shape and protect it from the elements with these best RV covers.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Lisa Conant / LAST UPDATED ON August 20, 2021
We know you love your RV and that one of the most challenging parts of camping is having to close it up and get it ready for storage at the end of the season. You’ve invested a solid chunk of change in your motorhome, so it makes sense that you want to do your best to protect it from the elements when it’s not being used.
If you don’t happen to have an oversized garage or shed to store your RV in during the off-season, it’s imperative to invest a little bit of money in a durable and rugged RV cover. This will significantly help extend the life of your RV, protecting it from damaging wind, rain, snow, and harsh sunlight.
If you’re in the market for a new RV cover, You don’t want to get duped into buying an overpriced, gimmicky, glorified tarp. A quick read through our top product recommendations and our in-depth buying guide will teach you all you need to know to ensure you’re getting a reliable and high-quality RV cover that will last you all year.
This durable RV cover is reinforced with a lightweight, breathable multi-layer construction that makes it great for high moisture climates. Adjustable front and rear panels and an elasticized hem ensure a snug and secure fit.
- Chemically coated to protect against damaging UV rays
- Inner liner is extra soft to protect your RV’s paint from scuffs and scratches
- Comes backed by a three-year warranty
- Straps may not hold up very well
- Not the strongest material for use in snowy or very cold climates
- Corners may tear due to exposure over time
This affordable cover is constructed from fully waterproof 300D material. It’s designed to fit motorhomes, RVs, and 5th wheel trailers between 20-25 feet in length and 120 inches in maximum height.
- 300D material is fully waterproof, UV-resistant, and tear-resistant
- Reinforced straps and adjustable front and rear panels ensure a snug fit
- One of the most affordable RV covers on the market
- Not compatible with all RV styles
- Does not include wheel covers
- Installation instructions can be vague and difficult to figure out
This well-designed polypropylene RV cover is made for travel trailers and toy haulers with a maximum height of 118-inches from the ground to the top. It has a durable PolyPro3 outer layer and a soft, breathable PolyPro1 bottom fabric that gives secure but gentle protection for your RV.
- Backed by a three-year warranty.
- Strategically placed vents allow for air flow underneath the cover.
- Elasticized hems and adjustable rear and front panels give a snug, all-around fit
- Front panels tend to wear out along the corners if there is too much tension on the cover
- Material is not as durable or waterproof as 300D polyester
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Covers
- Protect your RV against the elements. Since RVs tend to be left outside in the heat for long periods of time, the sun’s harmful UV rays can cause the paint to look dull and leave cracks on the dashboard. Plus, there’s more to fear than the frying power of the sun, as animals can scratch, dent, or find a way inside. A cover keeps your camper from being damaged by the sun, dust, animals, snow, and any other potentially harmful outdoor pollutant.
- Save money on future repairs. Protecting your RV can extend how many years it will have on the road. This saves you the money you would otherwise spend on maintenance or costly repairs.
Keep your camper looking new. A high-quality RV cover is made up of a breathable fabric to protect the camper from dew, dust, and mold. The cover is also a way to prevent the dashboard or any plastic from cracking under the pressure of the heat.
- Deter thieves. An RV cover may also deter any would-be thief from breaking into the camper while you’re away. You can easily lock up one of the zippers to prevent it from being unzipped. Covers can also take some time to remove. This can make it more difficult for a thief to gain access and make it more obvious if someone is trying to break in.
Types of RV Covers
A polyester RV cover is made up of several layers of yarns or fibers. They are best at protecting against the sun’s UV rays if the RV is left outdoors.
This type of cover is functions best in colder environments but also works well in warmer weather. The material is the same found in many long-sleeve shirts. Polypropylene RV covers are more resistant to acid damage, cracking, and water; however, they are not waterproof.
Perhaps one of the more common types of material, polyethylene is found in grocery bags, shampoo bottles, toys, and bulletproof vests. As an RV cover, it is a strong fabric that is water and tear-resistant.
Carcovers.com is a Pittsburg, California-based company that prides itself on providing its customers with rugged and superior vehicle protection options. Free shipping and hassle-free returns and customer service are two of the company’s biggest selling points. It also offers a wide variety of vehicle covers, including the Weatherproof MAX Shield Jet Ski Cover and the Platinum Shield Motorcycle Cover.
This company was founded in 1983 in Seattle, Wash. It began manufacturing automotive accessories like seat belt pads and steering wheel covers. Later, the company specialized in covers for cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, golf carts, and boats. Two of its top products are the Classic Accessories OverDrive PolyPro 3 Deluxe Teardrop R-Pod Travel Trailer Cover and the Classic Accessories OverDrive PermaPro Heavy Duty Cover.
North East Harbor
North East Harbor is a division of KapscoMoto, a Canadian-based manufacturer of automotive and motorcycle parts and accessories. Founded in 2006 by Chris Kapsalakis, KapscoMoto strives to deliver top-quality products at impressively low prices and is backed by excellent customer service.
RV Cover Pricing
- $100 to $200: This price range features RV covers with basic forms of protection from wind, rain, UV rays, and dust. They will also include a storage bag when you need to stow the cover away. However, one glaring drawback of this price range is that the covers may not be able to withstand super intense weather conditions.
- $200 and up: It is in this price range that you will find the best RV covers for a wider variety of campers. The covers have more upscale features to protect the RV while left outside or indoors. The covers may also have a more breathable fabric to protect against mold and rust. They may also come with reinforced seams for a more durable and tear-resistant design.
It is important for a cover to have a good, breathable material to keep out mold or rust while parked. This also ensures moisture does not get trapped inside the RV. This is especially good for campers left outdoors in rainstorms or parked inside where mildew can build up over time.
Some covers come with an elastic cord and non-scratch grommets to ensure the cover does not blow away in a strong wind. The best, high-quality covers should come with cable locks and clips to keep the cover tied down securely.
While many covers are water-resistant, getting one that is completely waterproof or rainproof will ensure your RV is protected against mother nature. Ones built with ultrasonic seam technology hold the fabric together tightly with extra layers of stitching to prevent water from pouring through.
- Size. Make sure to get an RV cover that properly fits the size of your RV. Check the measurements to your RV then compare it with the size of the cover to ensure it has a snug fit. You may also be able to find a universal RV cover.
- Environment. Consider getting an RV cover that protects against the environment you will be parking it in. For instance, if you will be in a hot temperate region, get a cover that is more resistant to heat.
Best RV Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- We suggest you wash your RV before putting the cover on. This is one way to prevent the cover from transferring dirt from one surface to the other.
- Consider picking a lighter colored cover. Lighter colors help reflect harmful UV rays more effectively. Darker covers will trap heat and make the inside of the RV hotter.
- Those who travel to campsites or across the country should consider getting a lighter cover. This, obviously, makes for an easier process when taking it off and putting it back on.
- If you park your RV indoors, you don’t need to concern yourself with a heavy-duty cover. Consider a lightweight cover that focuses on keeping out dust, dirt, and mold.
Q: Will the cover scratch the RV’s paint?
Most high quality RV covers come with a soft, protective layer on the underside of the cover that’s specifically designed to prevent paint scratching. Double-check before purchase to be sure, though, if this is a concern for you.
Q: How do I wash an RV cover?
The cover should come with instructions on how to properly and effectively clean it. The best way to ensure the cover is washed is to spray the cover with a hose then brush or scrub away dirt and grime with a brush.
Q: Are all RV covers waterproof?
Many RV covers are waterproof, but most of them are water-resistant, so double check before you invest in a cover, especially if you’re storing your RV in a particularly rainy or snowy climate.
Now that you know the key factors in selecting a durable and high-quality RV cover, it’s easy to see why the Car Shield Deluxe Shield Class C RV Cover is our top pick. This RV cover is rugged and reliable and features zippered door access.
For a great value buy, check out the North East Harbor Waterproof RV Motorhome Fifth Wheel Cover. This affordable cover is one of the only ones on our list that is entirely waterproof.