Best RV Covers: Keep Your Camper Safe From Sun, Dust, and More
Keep your RV in good shape and protect it from the elements with these best RV covers
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON July 22, 2019
Travel trailers, campers, motorhomes and RVs keep you safe from the elements on trips, but what about keeping them safe when you’re not using them? They are prone to the damaging effects of sun, dust, and scratches but can easily be protected by an RV cover. Whether you leave it for the summer in the heat or stow it away for cold winters in a garage, the best RV cover ensures your camper isn’t damaged. Here are some of the top-rated RV covers to consider.
- Best OverallKing Bird Extra-Thick-4-Ply Deluxe Camper Travel Trailer CoverSummarySummaryThis durable RV cover is reinforced with a thick, four-ply fabric that makes it tear-resistant and wind-resistant. The material provides the camper with weather protection against powerful gusts, UV rays, snow, dirt, and scratches.ProsProsIt’s extra breathable with the six vents on both sides of the cover. It’s also fit with yellow reflective panels to ensure it is visible at night and to deter anyone trying to break inside.ConsConsThe straps may not hold up very well. Hemming on the seams may be weaker and not able to stand up to powerful wind gusts. Also, pulling on them may weaken the seams, causing them to pop off. You may also find it can tear more easily around corners of your RV.
- Best ValueClassic Accessories OverDrive PolyPro 3 Deluxe Teardrop R-Pod Travel Trailer CoverSummarySummaryThis cover is fit with custom adjustable front and rear tension panels and elastic hem corners to fit snugly around the RV. The triple-ply top and single-ply sides protect against the elements and keep out dust, mold, and dirt.ProsProsAn integrated air vent system combined with the additional quick-drying polypro material reduces wind stress while also venting inside moisture.ConsCons
This cover may not be compatible with all RV types.
We found that it might rip and tear at the corner seams. It’s also not fully waterproof, so you may not want to leave it out in the rain for long periods of time.
- Honorable MentionAmazonBasics Trailer RV CoverSummarySummaryThis RV trailer cover is made up of a triple-layer top panel fabric and one-ply, breathable side panels. It protects the RV against rain, snow, scratches, and dust.ProsProsThe motorhome cover is fit with a quick-drying integrated air vent system that provides airflow throughout the fabric. This reduces the amount of inside moisture and wind lofting.ConsCons
The cover is on the thinner side. This means you may end up tearing or ripping it more easily if you aren’t careful when putting it on or taking it off. It also may be a little large for some RVs.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Covers
- Protect your RV against the elements. Since RVs tend to be left outside in the heat for long periods of time, the sun’s harmful UV rays can cause the paint to look dull and leave cracks on the dashboard. Plus, there’s more to fear than the frying power of the sun -- animals can scratch, dent, or find a way inside. A cover keeps your camper from being damaged by the sun, dust, animals, snow, and any other potentially harmful outdoor pollutant.
- Save money on future repairs. Protecting your RV can extend how many years it will have on the road. This saves you the money you would otherwise spend on maintenance or costly repairs.
Keep your camper looking new. A high-quality RV cover is made up of a breathable fabric to protect the camper from dew, dust, and mold. The cover is also a way to prevent the dashboard or any plastic from cracking under the pressure of the heat.
- Deter thieves. An RV cover may also deter any would-be thief from breaking into the camper while you’re away. You can easily lock up one of the zippers to prevent it from being unzipped. Covers can also take some time to remove. This can make it more difficult for a thief to gain access and make it more obvious if someone is trying to break in.
Types of RV Covers
A polyester RV cover is made up of several layers of yarns or fibers. They are best at protecting against the sun’s UV rays if the RV is left outdoors.
This type of cover is functions best in colder environments but also works well in warmer weather. The material is the same found in many long-sleeve shirts. Polypropylene RV covers are more resistant to acid damage, cracking, and water; however, they are not waterproof.
Perhaps one of the more common types of material, polyethylene is found in grocery bags, shampoo bottles, toys, and bulletproof vests. As an RV cover, it is a strong fabric that is water and tear-resistant.
This company was founded in 1983 in Seattle, Wash. It began manufacturing automotive accessories, such as seat belt pads and steering wheel covers. Later, the company specialized in covers for cars, motorcycles, snowmobiles, golf carts, and boats. Two of its top products are the Classic Accessories OverDrive PolyPro 3 Deluxe Teardrop R-Pod Travel Trailer Cover and the Classic Accessories OverDrive PermaPro Heavy Duty Cover.
ADCO was founded in 1955 and began as a family-owned sewing business. It makes RV, windshield, motorcycle, vehicle, and tire covers. One of its popular products is the ADCO Designer Series SFS Aqua Shed Travel Trailer RV Cover.
Founded in Greensboro, N.C., Camco has been around for 50 years. It develops products for ATVs, boats, RVs, and plumbing. One of its top-rated RV covers is the Camco Ultraguard Class A Cover.
RV Cover Pricing
- $100-$200: This price range features RV covers with basic forms of protection from wind, rain, UV rays, and dust. They will also include a storage bag when you need to stow the cover away. However, a drawback in this price range is the covers may not be able to withstand more damaging weather conditions.
- $200 and up: It is in this price range that you will find the best RV covers for a wider variety of campers. The covers have more upscale features to protect the RV while left outside or indoors. The covers may also have a more breathable fabric to protect against mold and rust. They may also come with reinforced seams for a more durable and tear-resistant design.
It is important for a cover to have a good, breathable material to keep out mold or rust while parked. This also ensures moisture does not get trapped inside the RV. This is especially good for campers left outdoors in rainstorms or parked inside where mildew can build up over time.
Some covers come with an elastic cord and non-scratch grommets to ensure the cover does not blow away in a strong wind. The best, high-quality covers should come with cable locks and clips to keep the cover tied down securely.
While many covers are water-resistant, getting one that is completely waterproof or rainproof will ensure your RV is protected against mother nature. Ones built with ultrasonic seam technology hold the fabric together tightly with extra layers of stitching to prevent water from pouring through.
- Size. Make sure to get an RV cover that properly fits the size of your RV. Check the measurements to your RV then compare it with the size of the cover to ensure it has a snug fit. You may also be able to find a universal RV cover.
- Environment. Consider getting an RV cover that protects against the environment you will be parking it in. For instance, if you will be in a hot temperate region, get a cover that is more resistant to heat.
Best RV Cover Reviews & Recommendations 2019
This durable RV cover is reinforced with a thick four-ply fabric that makes it tear-resistant and wind-resistant. The material provides the camper with protection against powerful gusts, UV rays, snow, dirt, and scratches. While the fabric may be thick, it is also extra breathable with six vents included on both sides of the cover.
One of its great features is the rollable zippered doors on the cover. This gives you easy access inside the RV and to the engine areas if you need to do any repairs. The cover is also fitted with yellow reflective panels to ensure it is visible at night and to deter anyone trying to break inside. The cover also comes with straps to hold it tightly and securely to the RV.
Overall, the cover is one of the best for protecting your RV, but the straps don’t hold up as well as some other brands. Hemming on the seams may be weaker and not be able to stand up to powerful wind gusts. Also, pulling on them may weaken the seams causing them to pop off. You may also find this cover can tear more easily around the corners of your RV.
Smaller RVs and travel trailers need covers too, and Classic Accessories has you covered. This cover is fit with custom, adjustable front, and rear tension panels and elastic hem corners to fit snugly around the RV. The triple-ply top and single-ply sides protect against the elements and keep out dust, mold, and dirt.
The cover has an integrated air vent system combined with the additional quick-drying polypro material, which reduces wind stress while also venting inside moisture. It’s also equipped with zippered panels, giving you easy access to the RV and engine compartment. Locking it to the RV is simple. The undercarriage locking strap system provides a durable and quick way to lock the cover down.
While it may be an easy cover to fit over a travel trailer, we did find that it might rip and tear at the corner seams. It’s also not fully waterproof, so you may not want to leave it out in the rain for long periods of time. It may also not fit all R-type trailers, so you will want to check your trailer to see if it is compatible with this cover.
Honorable Mention: AmazonBasics Trailer RV Cover
This RV trailer is made up of a three-ply roof fabric and one-ply breathable side material. The fibers help protect against rain, snow, scratches, and dust. You also get adjustable front and rear panels with elasticized hem corners for a more custom fit to your RV.
The cover is fitted with a quick-drying integrated air vent system that provides airflow throughout the fabric. This reduces the amount of inside moisture and wind lofting. One of the best features is the inclusion of a toss bag. The simple addition removes the need for you to crawl under the trailer to lock down the cover. You also get a storage bag to stow the cover away conveniently when you don’t need it.
We did notice the cover was on the thinner side. This means you may end up tearing or ripping it more easily if you aren’t careful when putting it on or taking it off. It also may be a little large for some RVs, but the tiedown straps should alleviate any overhang.
- We suggest you wash your RV before putting the cover on. This is one way to prevent the cover from transferring dirt from one surface to the other.
- Consider picking a lighter colored cover. Lighter colors help reflect harmful UV rays more effectively. Dark colored covers will trap heat and make the inside of the RV hotter.
- For those who travel to campsites or across the country, consider getting a lighter cover. This makes it easier to put it on the camper.
- If you park your RV indoors, you don’t need to concern yourself with a heavy-duty cover. Consider a lightweight cover that focuses on keeping out dust, dirt, and mold.
Q: Will the cover scratch the RV’s paint?
A: It should not scratch or rough up the paint on the RV if you are careful when you put it on and remove it. To ensure you don’t scratch the paint, make sure all straps are tied down securely and the cover is flush with the RV.
Q: How do I wash an RV cover?
A: The cover should come with instructions on how to properly and effectively clean it. The best way to ensure the cover is washed is to spray the cover with a hose then brush or scrub away dirt and grime with a brush.
Q: Are all RV covers waterproof?
A: While many RV covers are waterproof, not all of them are. Ones designed to be used specifically indoors may not be fully waterproofed. However, they may be water-resistant and act as a water repellent instead.
If you need a top-rated and high-quality RV cover that’s breathable and tear-resistant, consider the King Bird Extra-Thick-4-Ply Deluxe Camper Travel Trailer Cover.
You can save some cash and still get a great cover by checking out the Classic Accessories OverDrive PolyPro 3 Deluxe Teardrop R-Pod Travel Trailer Cover.