The Best Trailer Hitch Covers (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Protect your vehicle's hitch and add a bit of visual flair
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Jon Langston / LAST UPDATED ON May 7, 2020
If you’ve got a boat, trailer, or camper, then chances are you have a tow hitch on the back of your vehicle. And if you’ve got a trailer hitch, you need a hitch cover. Not only does it hide unsightly parts from view, but a trailer hitch cover can also be a stylish accessory. And since you’re covering it up, you might as well express some originality or personality while doing so.
Even if aesthetics aren’t a concern, a tow hitch cover can be a practical accessory instead of a vanity one. Many of today’s top tow hitch covers increase safety by integrating brake/tail lights. Some even offer a step, making access to the truck bed that much easier.
Even if you could leave your trailer hitch exposed, why would you? There are so many uses for that dead space. Instead, pick up one of these trailer hitch covers and let your truck work as hard as it possibly can.
This plug-in hitch is black and has an LED brake light that features either the Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford, GMC, or Jeep logo.
It's a high-quality product and doesn't rattle. The light should last 100,000 hours, so you won't need to swap it out for a really long time.
The bulb inside may melt the plastic housing. There may be issues getting the wiring to work properly.
This basic rubber trailer hitch cover fits a standard 2-inch receiver. It has a friction fit, and there's no need for a hitch pin or clip for installation.
It's very inexpensive and a no brainer to install. It prevents dirt, water, and debris from getting into the receiver tube and won't rust because it's rubber.
It may slide out and get lost since it's not tethered to the tube. It tends to fall out if you go through a car wash.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Trailer Hitch Covers
- Protect your trailer hitch. Leaving your trailer hitch uncovered can expose it to the elements. With time, it may collect water, debris, and dust. This can cause it to rust and not to mention, it may be a habitat for smaller animals. Using a cover is the best way to keep the trailer hitch clean.
- Accessorize your ride. Add a little flair to your vehicle by adding a stylish cover with a unique design, such as an American flag or a Harley-Davidson emblem. There are many options to choose from that will allow you to show off your style.
- Make yourself more visible. Many trailer covers have integrated LED lights, which not only serve as a decoration but also help make you more visible from the back. It can also serve as an extra brake light to help prevent rear-end collisions.
- Storage. Getting a hitch cover means that you can use the hitch as an extra storage space for your items. You can store spare keys, a flash drive, or anything else you need to be kept safe.
Types of Trailer Hitch Covers
Traditional Hitch Covers
A traditional hitch cover acts as a cap on the drawbar receiving tube. The most basic covers are typically made of plastic and feature a clip-on design. Sometimes they have a hinge, or they may hang prone. Many are designed to match the vehicle and are seamlessly designed to fit in with the vehicle's lines. Some allow the user to show off his or her sense of style. They can feature team logos, boast about one’s Italian heritage, or feature other images that allow the driver to let passersby know what they are passionate about.
Creative Hitch Covers
Manufacturers are very innovative when it comes to designing trailer hitch covers. You can choose one that's shaped (and moves) like a boat propeller or one that resembles a human waving hand. Others feature flopping fish, political statements, and even inspirational quotes, such as "Always take the scenic route.” Some hitch covers a bottle opener, so you always have access to a cold beverage. You can even wire some of them to display a glowing skull or proudly show off a light-up Jeep, Chevy, or Dodge logo.
Bully is a California-based manufacturer of automotive accessories, including trailer hitches, trailer hitch covers, hitch steps, and truck bed covers. Its products are designed to help with customization of your truck and to help preserve the life of valuable parts. Check out the Bully Hitch Cover or the Bully Heavy-Duty LED Hitch Step if you want to try out some of its best trailer hitch covers.
Curt is popularly known for making premium quality towing products, including traditional hitches, gooseneck hitches, and trailer hitch accessories. Its products are made in the U.S. and are tested for safety. They are also quite affordable, and the CURT 22276 Rubber Trailer Hitch Cover is a fine example of that.
Trailer Hitch Covers Pricing
- Under $10: This price range includes basic hitch covers with a one-size-fits-all design that’s easy to install. Most have company logos or emblems on the front plate aimed at enhancing aesthetics. The covers here can last for several months with proper use and maintenance.
- $10 to $30: The trailer hitch covers here are more durable since most are made of stainless steel that’s designed to be more resistant to the elements. They can last for a year or more. Also, most come with extra features such as LED lights.
- $30 and up: Expect to invest in more add-ons and premium construction when buying trailer hitch covers within this price range. Most of the hitches provide a good fit in almost any vehicle. Also, most OE model hitches from vehicle manufacturers are priced this much.
There are five classes of trailer hitches (Class 1 to Class 5), and receiver tubes range in size from 1.25 inches to 2.5 inches. The most common type is Class 3, which works with 2-inch receiver tubes. Before buying a trailer cover, it's important to check the size of the tube and product specs. The good news is that some manufacturers sell products with several mounts so that the hitch cover will fit a variety of hitches.
It can be frustrating to buy a new product that breaks after just a few months of use. That's why it's important to look for hitch covers that are durable and long-lasting. Check to see if the product can withstand various weather conditions and exposure to a lot of water. Some of the best covers are made of stainless steel because they resist rust and corrosion.
- Design: If you don’t want a plain cover sitting on your trailer hitch, explore more options when it comes to the design. You can get one with a creative emblem or one that’s shaped like a step for easy accessibility to your truck bed.
- Installation. Hooking up the cover on the trailer hitch should be fairly easy. It should also remain stable on the hitch even if you drive on rough terrain, take the trailer through a car wash, or drive at high speed.
- Auxiliary Features. Any extra tool or feature on the cover is a plus. Choose covers with extras such as a bottle opener or ones that come with LED lights that make it more appealing.
Best Trailer Hitch Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- The easiest way to get a properly fitting hitch cover is to search for one by entering your vehicle’s year, make, and model. You will get a bunch of suggestions that are compatible with your vehicle, and you will only have to choose the best out of them all.
- Replace your hitch cover if it starts showing signs of wear such as cracks or rust. A worn hitch cover can get lost on the road or in a car wash. If it’s rusted, the rust may travel to the rest of the hitch tube.
- Keep your hitch cover in top shape by cleaning it regularly. You can do that by washing it in a basin of warm soapy water to get rid of dirt, grease, and road grime. Alternatively, you can simply wipe it with a damp cloth.
Q. How do I replace a trailer hitch cover?
A: First, see if your receiver is the standard 2-inch size. If it is, there are a variety of options available both online and in stores.
Q. How do I install the trailer hitch cover?
A: Some merely require a clip. On others, you must slide the mounting piece into the receiver tube and line it up with the holes. Then you use a hitch pin to keep it in place.
Q. Should I get a trailer hitch cover?
A: It's a good idea. It can protect your receiving tube from water damage, dirt, debris, and other elements. It's also a stylish accessory.
We went with the Bully Hitch Cover as our best overall product because it's a plug-and-play device that's easy to install and features a lighted insignia. The CURT Rubber Trailer Hitch Cover is also a great option. Despite being very basic, it's extremely affordable and doesn't require any tools for installation.