Best Sunglasses Holders For Cars: Never Lose Your Glasses Again
Check out these top sunglasses holders for cars so that your spectacles stay safe and sound
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Ashutosh Bhosale / LAST UPDATED ON October 7, 2019
Have you ever lost your sunglasses only to find them broken under your car seat? We’ve all been there. Car sunglasses holders help keep your sunglasses safe so you don't have to worry about losing or breaking them. Check out our top picks for the best sunglasses holders available.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Sunglasses Holders for Cars
- Protection. If you got stylish new shades and tried to store them in your vehicle, you probably ran into an issue of finding space. Sunglasses never stay put on the seats or the center console. They tend to wander around, falling on the floor and getting heavily scratched in the process. That's why sunglasses holders are so beneficial. They keep your shades in one place during rides and prevent scratches, dents, and other possible damages.
- Reachability. With a sunglasses holder, you don't have to search for your shades during rides and take your eyes off the road. Your favorite accessory stays in a convenient and easy-to-reach place, so you can grab it in a second and stay focused on the ride all the time.
- Convenience. Having a sunglasses holder in your vehicle will allow you to be more organized. The car's interior will look neat, and you'll always know where your stuff is. Furthermore, you'll never lose your fashionable shades ever again.
Types of Sunglasses Holders for Cars
Sun Visor Clip
This is the most common and most popular option among drivers. A sun visor clip allows you to keep your sunglasses from damage in a convenient way. This accessory attaches to the sun visor, which means it stays out of the way and is easy to reach during rides. It also comes in several designs to accommodate one or two pairs of shades.
Air Vent Clip
Some drivers also opt for sunglasses that attach to air vents. These are convenient and easy to reach during rides, allowing you to keep your sunglasses in front of you all the time. However, these holders tend to rattle and sway on bumpy roads. They might even block the air vent and prevent proper air circulation. Thus, it's crucial to consider whether they'll fit your vehicle model before the purchase.
Dashboard holders are beneficial for those who can't use air vent or sun visor clips in their vehicles. They are less common but quite practical, and the installation is super easy. All you need to do is to attach the holder to the dashboard by using a provided adhesive pad. Dashboard holders usually have a ring or a pocket for accommodating sunglasses.
Croakies was founded in 1977 and is located in Bozeman, Mont. It all started with a local ski patrolman from Jackson Hole Mountain Resort designing an eyewear retainer for his alpine adventures. Today, the company produces all kinds of eyewear retainers, as well as eyewear replacement parts and accessories. The Croakies Shade Dock Visor Clip is one of its most popular products among car enthusiasts.
Sunglasses Holders for Cars Pricing
- Under $10: Inexpensive sunglasses holders are mostly suitable for just one pair of sunglasses. They are useful and convenient but might lack some extra features to protect sunglasses to the highest degree.
- $10 and up: For a couple of more bucks, you can get double sunglasses holders with extra padding for more protection. Those who are not on a limited budget might even consider getting an organizer for documents, sunglasses, and other stuff.
First and foremost, you want to be sure that a particular sunglasses holder will fit your vehicle type. We recommend checking whether a sun visor or an air vent clip would work best for your vehicle, or if you need a dashboard holder. You can do that by comparing the size and the design of a holder with the design of your car's air vents, sun visor, and dashboard.
Take some time to determine which sunglasses holder design you like the most. Because the accessory will be in a visible place in your vehicle, you'll want to have something elegant and stylish to complement the interior.
You can also pick single or double sunglasses holders. The first option is compact and barely noticeable in the vehicle, but it can hold only one pair of shades. The second model is more suitable for those who have several pairs of sunglasses or have passengers frequently.
- Construction. Don't forget to double-check the materials used for the sunglasses holder construction. You want to get a sturdy and durable item that will last despite the road conditions. High-quality holders won't detach from sun visors, air vents, and dashboards or break due to rattling on bumpy roads.
- Extra Protection. Some sunglasses holders come with extra padding to protect your shades from scratches, bumps, and more. They usually have an inner cloth that cushions the accessory and prevents its movements. Some even have UV protection. Before you pick a particular sunglasses holder, consider whether you need these features.
Best Sunglasses Holders for Cars Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- While making a purchase decision, be sure to choose a small sunglass holder. Do not buy anything too big as it will obstruct your view and will also look out-of-place.
- Sunglasses with thick plastic frames work well with all types of sunglass holders. Don’t worry about whether you need to buy slide-in style or clip-on style sunglass holders, just choose based on your personal preference.
- If you have a clip-on style sunglass holder, attach it to the visor sideways to make it easier to hang or remove your sunglasses. Note that this cannot be done with wide, strap-on style organizers.
Q: I have thin, wire-framed sunglasses. Will the sunglass holder bend the frame?
A: A slide-in style sunglass holder carries the risk of bending thin wireframes. Instead, you can consider buying a clip-on style sunglass holder with soft cushioning on the clips, which will not bend the steel frame.
Q: My visor is too thick. Will the clip fit?
A: Most sunglass holder clips are designed to fit visors of all shapes and sizes. However, you can also consider buying a sunglass holder that has elastic bands that can be strapped onto the visor.
Q: Will the sunglass holder clip leave a mark on my visor?
A: It depends on the strength of the clip and the thickness of your visor. However, if a sunglass holder does leave marks on your visor, they are only temporary, so you don’t have to worry.
The ReadiSpex Eyeglasses and Sunglasses Holder is the best option since it has a steady metal frame that can fit almost all types of eyewear.
If you keep two pairs of sunglasses in your car, you may prefer our budget pick, the Superior Essentials Double Sunglasses Holder.