Best Trucker Bluetooths: Add Some Advanced Connectivity to Your Truck
Great options for using your phone with your truck
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 13, 2019
Want to use your phone in a safe way while driving a truck? If so, a basic Bluetooth receiver or transmitter is your best bet. Common in older cars, these Bluetooth devices work just as well in any truck cab that may lack the advanced connectivity features of more modern vehicles. Here's our handy guide to help you find the right solution for your truck's connectivity.
- Best OverallKinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Car KitSummarySummaryThe best way to add Bluetooth capability in any truck with a basic 12-volt cigarette lighter.ProsProsIt offers hands-free operation with almost any smart device available today. It can be used for wireless music streaming and phone-based GPS navigation.ConsConsThe wire between the main unit and the 12-volt plug can be difficult to conceal along the seams of a truck's dashboard.
- Best ValueNulaxy Bluetooth FM TransmitterSummarySummaryOne of the better Bluetooth devices that add support for Siri and Google Assistant to any trucker's cab with a 12-volt plug.ProsProsOffers basic smart device control and music playback (via a micro SD card). Generally good connectivity with most phones.ConsConsAudio quality is lacking compared to modern built-in Bluetooth systems. Compatibility with some older phones is lacking as well.
- Honorable MentionTaoTronics Bluetooth Receiver/Car KitSummarySummaryAn audio-based Bluetooth receiver that offers the most basic Bluetooth capability in trucks with a standard audio jack.ProsProsPlugs right into most stereos and vehicle-based audio systems. No 12-volt plug is required for use inside a truck or car. Good, consistent performance.ConsConsSome songs skip intermittently when playing music. The range of the Bluetooth is only around 30 feet before the connection begins to cut out.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- If you just want some basic music streaming capabilities for your truck, buy a simple Bluetooth receiver.
- Advanced smart device control and playback require a transmitter capable of "talking" with the device.
- Make sure your truck automatically powers off when devices are left plugged into audio ports or 12-volt outlets to avoid draining the battery with a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.
Q. Why do I need a Bluetooth receiver or transmitter in my truck?
A. While many modern trucks offer built-in Bluetooth capabilities, older ones tend to lack this feature. Therefore, a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter add some advanced functionality to older vehicles.
Q. What is the difference between a receiver and a transmitter?
A. Receivers are basically used when the phone streams audio to the Bluetooth device so it can pipe it through the truck's audio system. Transmitters, on the other hand, offer the ability to control the phone.
The Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Car Kit is a good all-around Bluetooth transmitter and receiver that works with almost any vehicle around.
The Nulaxy Bluetooth FM Transmitter earns our top budget spot due to its price tag and extra value.