LAST UPDATED: October 13, 2019
Best Trucker Bluetooths: Add Some Advanced Connectivity to Your Truck
Great options for using your phone with your truck
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 13, 2019
Want to use your phone in a safe way while driving a truck? If so, a basic Bluetooth receiver or transmitter is your best bet. These Bluetooth devices work well in any truck cab that may lack the advanced connectivity features of more modern vehicles. Here's our handy guide to help you find the right solution for your truck's connectivity.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Bluetooth for Truckers
- Ease of use. The best Bluetooth for truckers is simple, portable, and easy to use. Most units are small in size and are equipped with a 3.5mm jack to make them compatible with numerous audio devices. Establishing a Bluetooth connection between the transmitter and another device is also quick and straightforward.
- Does not cause radiation. A Bluetooth transmitter is better for you. You can comfortably make long calls without worrying about the effects of radiation on your body. And unlike a Wi-Fi router, it’s not always transmitting. To connect it to a device, you simply need to make it discoverable until the two are paired. You can switch it off afterwards.
- Multipurpose. With a Bluetooth transmitter, you can conveniently pick calls and listen to music without interrupting your driving. You stay safe on the road and steer clear of accidents. Some transmitters have smart technology and quickly announce who’s calling. Others have Siri and let you make a call simply by mentioning the person’s name.
- Minimal hardware. Bluetooth transmitters are not bulky and don't require any wires for connectivity. As long as the devices you’re connecting have Bluetooth, they can connect directly. There is no extra hardware necessary. A Wi-Fi network, on the other hand, needs a router to provide an access point. To communicate, any devices on the network must use the router.
Types of Bluetooth for Truckers
The class refers to Bluetooth power classes and not Bluetooth device classes. This class of Bluetooth transmitters has an operating range of 100 meters. Its maximum power output is 100 mW or 20 dBm. To communicate successfully over the 100m range, there should be a Class 1 Bluetooth device on both ends. In some countries, Bluetooth devices with a power output that exceeds 20 dB are prohibited.
A Class 2 Bluetooth transmitter has a maximum power output of 2.5 mW or 4 dBm. It is suitable for use by individuals. The device’s operating range is 10 meters and up to 30 meters if there are no disruptions. To transfer files over the 10m range, you need to have a Class 1 or Class 2 device on each end. Since the range is shorter, the transmission speed is faster.
The highest operating range of a Bluetooth class is related to its power output. Environmental factors in the area where the Bluetooth device is used can also cause the range to vary. In Class 3, the maximum power output is 1 mW or 0 dBm. Devices in this category can only connect over a short range of 10 cm up to 1m. Due to the limited range, Class 3 devices are not commonly used.
Approximately six years old, Avantree was established in 2014. The company designs and manufactures high-quality speakers, cables, earphones, and other accessories for different gadgets. Its wireless Bluetooth transmitters are designed for extraordinary sound quality. Its devices are built to last and offer the perfect mix of elegant design and innovative technology. To enjoy stylish functionality, try out the Avantree Bluetooth Transmitter.
This brand belongs to the Sunvalley Group, which was founded in 2007. Its headquarters are in Shenzhen, China. The company owns six consumer brands besides TaoTronics. Out of these, RAVPower, HooToo, and VAVA design and distribute electronics and their accessories. The company has subsidiaries in Singapore, San Francisco, Hamburg, and Tokyo. The TaoTronics Bluetooth Transmitter is a great option for truckers.
Founded in 1998, Sena has become a global pioneer of Bluetooth innovation for action sports, motorsports, and industrial solutions. Its Bluetooth products are designed for both commercial and personal use. The company is dedicated to perfection and is fueled by a passion for adventure. This can be seen in the products it manufactures, like the Sena Motorcycle Bluetooth Headset. Its small and lightweight Dual Stream Transmitter is also worth checking out.
Nulaxy was established in 2015 and specializes in automotive electronics. It also manufactures unique and high-quality electronic accessories like PC and mobile peripherals and tablets and laptop mounts. The company is very keen on making its customers happy. Nulaxy’s products feature superior technology and are compatible with numerous devices. If you are in the market for an advanced noise-reduction Bluetooth transmitter, get the Nulaxy Bluetooth Car Transmitter.
Bluetooth for Truckers Pricing
- $10-$25: These transmitters may require a 3.5mm jack plug to connect. They are compatible with fewer devices. Some have built-in batteries while others don’t.
- $25-$50: These products provide dual connection, have built-in batteries, and are compatible with more devices. The majority connect wirelessly.
- $50-$100: These transmitters offer several connection options, including USB, Bluetooth, and SD card. They connect automatically and feature the latest Bluetooth V5.0.
The best Bluetooth for truckers should be compatible with a wide range of devices. Transmitters are usually manufactured with different devices and operating systems in mind. Therefore, get one that can work with numerous electronic devices. It’s best to have a transmitter that is compatible with iOS as well as Android. It should pair with a variety of devices, from smartphones to iPads.
A Bluetooth transmitter’s range is determined by its class. A Class 1 device has a range of up to 100 meters (330 feet), while a Class 3 device can only cover up to 1 meter. The most popular Bluetooth transmitters are in Class 2 and cover a range of up to 10 meters (33 feet). They are ideal for personal use. To enhance the range, ensure there are no barriers that hinder the Bluetooth signal.
It’s important to know why you’re getting a Bluetooth transmitter. The device can be used to transfer files, for tethering, and to stream audio. You can transfer files from your phone to a computer or to another phone without using a USB device. If your transmitter is hotspot-enabled, it can quickly connect numerous devices via Wi-Fi or hotspot. To enable audio streaming, you can seamlessly pair Bluetooth gadgets with speakers.
- Design. Bluetooth transmitters come in a variety of designs. Pick a transmitter that’s built to last. It should be lightweight and pair easily with Bluetooth devices. It should also be easy to install and have easy-to-use buttons for different functions. Additionally, make sure it has the latest version of Bluetooth.
- Type. There are two main types of Bluetooth transmitters: corded and wireless. Corded transmitters are also known as wired transmitters. They are easy to connect, but you must select the correct cables for them. To pair a corded transmitter with another device, you must use the cable. Wireless transmitters are more common because they can easily connect to any device without experiencing compatibility issues.
- Battery Capacity. Many transmitters require a battery to operate. That’s why you should look at the battery capacity. A high-capacity battery holds a high amount of power and doesn’t run out quickly. Don’t get a transmitter that will regularly need charging when you’re on the road. The most popular transmitters can operate for 7-15 hours before they need charging.
Best Bluetooth for Truckers Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Specifically designed to receive and answer calls, this hands-free Bluetooth car kit can connect to any Bluetooth smartphone, such as iPhone or Android. You can stream music seamlessly from any Bluetooth device that supports aptX technology and enjoy CD-quality audio. For the best performance, the transmitter needs 3.5mm audio input from your car’s stereo. It comes with user-friendly music controls.
Kinivo’s transmitter comes with a built-in microphone that quickly picks up instructions for music or calls and relays them to your phone. You can activate Siri on the device for easier communication. The transmitter’s small size makes it easy to carry around. One of its standout features is that it automatically connects to devices you’ve previously paired it with.
The company offers a hassle-free two-year warranty in addition to US-based lifetime customer support. However, the wire connecting the 12-volt plug to the unit can be difficult to hide on the dashboard. Additionally, since the transmitter doesn't have its own speaker, you may have to get one separately.
It’s always exciting when you buy a multifunctional device like this one. This Bluetooth FM transmitter comes with excellent USB-charging technology. It functions as Bluetooth and a charger and can charge compatible devices four times faster than standard chargers. In just 35 minutes, your device will be powered to 80 percent.
For enhanced safety, the transmitter’s voltmeter displays your car’s battery status. Its seven-color LED backlight creates a visually stunning display. You can use Google Assistant or Siri to send messages, make phone calls, or get directions. The voice control feature allows you to stay fully focused on driving. The transmitter quickly notifies you about incoming phone calls and gives pairing instructions. You can play audio files in your device via USB drive, microSD card, or Bluetooth.
However, the SD card and flash drive ports can only support WAV, MP3, WMA, FLAC, and APE music formats. The transmitter also has other downsides. It is incompatible with some older phones, and its audio quality is lacking.
Given the increasing popularity of Bluetooth transmitters and the numerous choices available, it’s easy to get confused when choosing one. That’s why we’ve taken time to study products like Criacr’s upgraded Bluetooth FM transmitter. It comes with three music-playing modes and can play music via Bluetooth, USB drive, and TF card. Its built-in microphone lets you answer calls, hang up, reject calls, and redial the last number easily. The transmitter supports WMA, FLAC, MP3, and WAV formats.
The upgraded device provides a better sound experience, enhanced anti-interference performance, and a more stable signal. It quickly charges devices thanks to its two USB-charging ports with 5V-2100MA output. Your devices will be fully charged in the shortest time possible. The transmitter obtains power from a car’s auxiliary power outlet and is suitable for different vehicles.
You can connect devices like tablets, smartphones, and iPads to this transmitter. Its microphone is created using CVC technology that suppresses noise and wind.
However, the unit constantly emits a high-pitched static that makes it hard to listen to music. It also has difficulty pairing with iPhones.
- If you just want some basic music streaming capabilities for your truck, buy a simple Bluetooth receiver.
- Advanced smart device control and playback require a transmitter capable of "talking" with the device.
- Make sure your truck automatically powers off when devices are left plugged into audio ports or 12-volt outlets to avoid draining the battery with a Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.
Q. Why do I need a Bluetooth receiver or transmitter in my truck?
A. While many modern trucks offer built-in Bluetooth capabilities, older ones tend to lack this feature. Therefore, a Bluetooth receiver and transmitter add some advanced functionality to older vehicles.
Q. What is the difference between a receiver and a transmitter?
A. Receivers are basically used when the phone streams audio to the Bluetooth device so it can pipe it through the truck's audio system. Transmitters, on the other hand, offer the ability to control the phone.
The Kinivo BTC450 Bluetooth Car Kit is a good all-around Bluetooth transmitter and receiver that works with almost any vehicle around.
The Nulaxy Bluetooth FM Transmitter earns our top budget spot due to its price tag and extra value.