Best Seat Cushions For Truckers: Long-Distance Seating Comfort
Some of the best choices for truckers wanting extra comfort on the road
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Michael Trigg / LAST UPDATED ON December 29, 2020
When it comes to truckers' seat cushions that support the lower back, tailbone, spine, and hips, our buying guide contains good choices for comfort and durability at a range of prices. If you suffer from lower back pain—a common affliction among drivers—a good seat cushion designed specifically for truckers is a must.
It has a lifetime guarantee. It has a non-slip gel underpad to keep the cushion in place and is ergonomically designed.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Seat Cushion for Truckers
- More comfort. It can be uncomfortable to sit in the same position for a long period of time, especially if you're a truck driver. This can cause all types of aches and pains that can be alleviated by a seat cushion.
- Upgrade an old seat. Over the years, car and truck seats have been designed to be more ergonomic, but they are not made to fit all body shapes and sizes. A seat cushion can make a worn-out seat much more comfortable.
- Protect your back. There are certain back conditions that can be caused by sitting for hours while you're driving. If you want to avoid back pain, a seat cushion is a good option.
- Extra lumbar support. Many seats do not provide much lumbar support, which can be problematic for those who already have back problems. Chiropractors and specialists recommend that truck drivers use a cushion for extra support.
Types of Seat Cushion for Truckers
Traditional Seat Cushion
Most seat cushions do not feature a backrest. They can be a variety of shapes, such as a U-shape or wedge design, and are constructed to take the pressure off of your spine and promote proper spine alignment. They are typically contoured to match the shape of your bottom and are usually portable, so you can use them at home as well as in your truck.
Cushion With a Backrest
Some seat cushions have lumbar support, which is more comfortable and supportive for some users. This type of seat cushion typically has two sections made out of the same material. You sit on one part of it, and the other section goes behind your back. Many have a strap that allows you to attach it to the seat, so it doesn’t flop around.
Some of the best seat cushions are made of memory foam. They're specifically designed for those who have issues with lower back pain, spinal pain, sciatica, or have a tailbone injury. They are designed to mold to the shape of your bottom. However, they may not suit all types of users.
This type of seat cushion is intended for those who want the ability to adjust the height and firmness of the product. It's very versatile, and you can change it as your needs change or to accommodate a second user. The downside is you may have to experiment to achieve the proper comfort level.
Aylio was founded in 2008 by a student from Hunter College in New York City. He and his licensed occupational therapist wife strive to make innovative seating solutions that promote comfort and well being, including the Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion.
Upper Echelon Products, based in Austin, Texas, manufactures and distributes Everlasting Comfort products. The online retailer designs cushions that are made to alleviate pain and discomfort. We recommend the Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion.
This online retailer manufactures its products in a Southern California factory. The company has decades of experience making gel cushions, gel pads, and other gel products, and it only uses materials that are FDA- or USP-compliant, including the CONFORMAX Airmax Gel Car/Truck Seat Cushion.
Seat Cushion for Truckers Pricing
- $25-$45: Most seat cushions fall within this price range, although you may find the occasional product that’s a bit more expensive. Cushions at this price point are designed to support your back and provide comfort for extended periods of time. They are made of a variety of different materials and fabrics, so choose one that suits your needs.
The number-one reason to purchase a seat cushion is for back support. The aim is to reduce spinal pressure on your discs. The best seat cushions for truckers will support your back for many hours and will not collapse under the weight of your body. They should also be comfortable and not too stiff.
If you're a truck driver, you spend many hours each day behind the wheel. Since you are sitting for a long time, you need a cushion that can withstand long periods of use. It should be made of high-quality materials that retain their shape. It should also have a non-slip fabric that will not rip.
It doesn't matter how comfortable a seat cushion is, if you drive a lot during the summer, you don't want it to stick to your body. The best seat cushions are made of materials that provide good airflow, so you don't sweat. The cushion should also be cool-to-the-touch for added comfort.
- Ergonomic Design: Check that the cushion is wide enough for your backside and tall enough to promote good posture. Some cushions are designed to fit the shape of your back and are made of foam or other contoured materials that cushion the small of your back as well as the lumbar region.
- Size: Check the size of your truck seat before making a purchase. Even universal sized products may not fit the seat, or your bottom, correctly. Measure the seat, and make sure that it is compatible with the cushion. That way, you won't waste your money or have to deal with the hassle of returning the product.
- Fabric: Seat cushions come in a variety of materials, and the type you choose is really a personal preference because each kind, whether it's leather or polyester, has different qualities. You may choose one that matches the interior of your vehicle. And, as we noted above, some materials are more breathable than others.
Best Seat Cushion for Truckers Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- If in doubt about which seat cushion is best for you, purchase two brands and test drive them. You can always sell the other to another driver or keep them both and swap them out from time to time. Comfort and relief from back pain should always override price.
- Keep your seat cushion clean to lengthen its lifespan. A handy device for that chore is a portable, battery-operated vacuum cleaner.
- Cleaning your cushions is an essential part of protecting their look and function, but washing them incorrectly can cause just as many problems. Harsh cleaners and substances may bleach seat materials or even cause the fabrics to break down.
Q: Is the fabric of a seat cushion generally waterproof?
A: It all depends on the manufacturer. If you decide on a make that is not waterproof, a coating of spray-on waterproofing will do the trick.
Q: Is a cushion suitable for a heavy person?
A: Yes, but it will be dependent on the type of foam used and its thickness. There are foams that can carry a weight of 300 pounds.
Q: I have lower back issues. What should I look for in a seat cushion for truckers?
A: A proper seat cushion can help realign the spine and take the pressure off the back and sciatic nerve. A seat cushion is a good investment and, while not a cure-all, it can offer at least partial relief from lower back pain for long-distance truckers.
A good trucker seat cushion will increase the flow of blood to your legs, enable you to sit for long hours without discomfort, and reduce the risk of blood clots. For this reason, the Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion is our top pick. The Everlasting Comfort Memory Foam Seat Cushion is a value choice with its contour design providing good spinal support.