Best Cooling Car Seat Cushions: Cool Down and Enjoy the Ride
Stay cool and relaxed with these high-quality cooling car seat cushions.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Keeping cool on a hot summer day can be difficult, especially during long drives where your body is stiff and exhausted. A cooling car seat cushion can help you cool off and beat the heat. It can lower your body temperature quickly to reduce the risk of heatstroke, help if your car doesn’t have the best air conditioning, and lower back pain. Here are the best cooling car seat cushions to consider before you hit the road in the heat.
This seat cushion is made of memory foam and gel material, which retains its shape and won't deform.
- Comfortable and supportive
- Has silicone friction beads on the bottom so it won't slide
- Cover is waterproof
- It may raise your height a little, which can affect your driving position
- Insert may get gummy
The cooling technology can reduce back pain and sciatica symptoms. The cushion is made out of a thick gel memory foam for improved comfort.
- Has a non-slip rubber bottom to ensure it stays in place no matter what
- Has an included handle for easier transport and a seat strap
- Thickness of the foam will make you sit higher, so you will have to adjust your seat if you can
- It may be a little stiff as well
The material acts like a mini fan to cool you down. It circulates air through hundreds of tiny holes to cool you down on the hottest days.
- Fabric is breathable and reduces body heat and perspiration
- Comes with temperature control, so you can pick and choose how much air flows through the material
- Fan is loud even on the low setting
- Tiny holes may rip if pierced by keys and impact the design and amount of airflow
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- To clean a seat cushion, you should scrub it with a damp cloth or towel. Make sure it’s powered off and is not plugged into any outlet. It should never be submerged in water.
- To dry a cool car seat cushion, let it air dry by opening the windows or leaving it in a light breeze. Make sure it is completely dry before using it again.
- You should not use a cooling car seat cushion if you notice any frayed or damaged wires. They can be dangerous and lead to the device not working properly or catching on fire.
- Make sure you unplug and turn off the cushion when it is not in use.
Q: How long will it take the cushion to cool down?
A: This will vary from cushion to cushion, but they all should begin working in moments. Some may be stronger than others and have an improved amount of airflow, while others may take a few minutes to cool you off.
Q: Do cooling car seat cushions fit in all types of vehicles?
A: Since car seat cushions are lightweight and foldable, they should be able to fit in all sorts of cars. However, you should consult with the manufacturer just to be sure before making a purchase.
Q: Will a seat cushion raise the height of my seat?
A: It is possible the car seat cushion will impact how you sit in the car. If your vehicle’s seat can’t be adjusted, you may run the risk of sitting too high on the seat. However, the majority of vehicles come with adjustable car seats, so you shouldn’t have an issue.
Q: Will a cooling car seat cover stay on when the car is off?
A: This depends on the type of 12-volt plug you have in your vehicle and the connection the cushion requires. Some will only function when the car is on or when it is placed in accessory mode. If the 12-volt outlet works without the engine running, the cover will stay on while the vehicle is turned off.
For one of the best seat cushions to keep you cool and comfortable in the sweltering heat, consider the AUTOTRENDS Cooling Car Seat Cushion.
A less expensive alternative is the VivaLife Cooling Gel Car Seat Cushion, which can reduce back pain, cool you down, and help prevent symptoms of sciatica.