LAST UPDATED: April 7, 2021
Best Car Air Beds: Our Top Picks for Back Seat Comfort
A comfortable car air bed offers great rest on road trips or for camping.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON April 7, 2021
Sleeping in a car or truck is not comfortable unless you plan ahead. One of the best ways to make the space more conducive to sleeping is by using a car air bed. It's designed to be placed on top of a vehicle's back seat to provide a more comfortable sleeping spot. Some car air beds are cozier than others, and with so many options available it can be challenging to choose the right one. Our buying guide features some of the top car air beds available.
Versatile and affordable, this air bed features flocked oxford PVC fabric and comes in three different colors.
- Priced lower than most similar beds
- Has a sturdy construction and universal fit
- Can be used for camping and outdoor activities
- Mattress is prone to air leaks, which can be caused by frequent use or colder temperatures
Made of durable, lightweight materials, this air bed fits most cars and SUVs. Its low price and quality offer a solid value proposition.
- 3-inch thick mattress is sturdy
- Takes about one minute to inflate using the included 12-volt pump
- Bed is suitable for trips and camping alike
- Air in the mattress can deflate overnight and spring leaks
- Bed can be noisy if placed on leather seats without a sheet
Helps you have a good rest when you sleep in your car. Also great for vans and SUVs. Unique design that keeps it flat. Made of cushioned, thick materials. Use it for camping, festivals, and long trips.
- Mattress is designed to fill the space between the floorboards and seat
- Mattress itself is made from durable PVC, while the top is soft and breathable
- Ribbing provides superior support for legs, back, and neck
- Includes a portable air pump and two pillows
- Some reports of leaks
- May not fit as described
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy a Car Air Bed?
- It's convenient and cost-effective. If you want to save a few bucks while traveling, you can sleep in your vehicle instead of paying for a hotel room. Once you find a safe spot to park, you can take a nap or sleep overnight in the comfort of your own car or truck.
- It's great for camping. Many seasoned campers know the importance of using an air mattress. While an inflatable car bed is great for your vehicle, it also doubles as a camping air mattress. If you want to wake up feeling refreshed, it helps to have a proper mattress at your disposal.
- Children love them. If you travel regularly with children, you know how cranky they can get if they're uncomfortable. A car air bed or a minivan air mattress is a great option if you want your kids to sleep better when you're driving to see friends or family or getting out of town for a vacation.
- Pets love them. It's also a good idea to set up a comfortable space for your dog or other pet during a road trip. A car air bed provides ample cushioning so your canine companion can relax on the road.
- Transport fragile items. You can also use a car air bed to move precious cargo. If you put it underneath fragile objects that you want to move from point A to point B, it will provide a little bit of protection and cushioning.
Types of Car Air Beds
Back Seat Air Beds
Air beds are designed to universally accommodate the back seats of most cars, including compact cars, sedans, and SUVs. A back seat bed includes two separately inflated “feet” that support the mattress, fit into the spaces in front of the seats, and contour around the console. Made out of lightweight, synthetic PVC, the beds weigh around 6 to 7 pounds and are folded into a carrying bag.
Camping Air Beds
The main differences between a back seat air mattress for cars and an SUV camping mattress are the size and intended use. The SUV bed is designed to lay flat and cover the folded rows of seats. These are made out of a combination of PVC, rubber, and nylon. Some are made out of synthetic TPU, which is more environmentally friendly since it doesn’t have synthetic chemicals.
Top Brands of Car Air Beds
Manufacturing in Hong Kong, FBSport is becoming a household name in outdoor products. The company ships online orders directly to consumers, claiming it can offer “worldwide free shipping” thanks to lower operating costs. One of the company’s most popular items is the FBSPORT BSport Car Travel Inflatable Mattress Air Bed.
Olivia & Aiden
This is a family-operated business that began in 2016. The focus of this small company is to bring quality items that people use in the home right to their doorstep. The company specializes in toys, pet care, and household products. Olivia and Aiden’s Inflatable Car Air Mattress is a hot item.
Sierra Designs got its start in 1965 in California. The company produces all kinds of camping gear, from tents and sleeping bags to backpacks and clothing. We recommend the Sierra Designs 2 Person Queen Camping Air Bed.
KingCamp has been in business since 2004 and is a leader in the outdoor gear community. It sells its products in nearly 50 countries, including the United States, Canada, and France. It owns over 40 patents and has developed tons of products for campers, including the KingCamp Universal Car SUV Inflatable Back Seat Air Mattress.
Car Air Bed Pricing
- Under $30: There is a variety of durable, versatile air beds for cars at this minimal price range. The beds are made out of eco-friendly PVC material and are designed for use in most cars and SUVs. These waterproof air beds often come with pillows/a pump and can be used for camping, in the pool, or on the beach.
- $30-$60: This price range is the sweet spot if you’re looking for a practical car inflatable mattress. Most beds for compact cars and sedans are made of high-quality materials and are designed to last. Most air beds are shipped with a 12-volt pump, so you don’t have to purchase it separately.
- $60 and up: The air beds available at this price range are either larger or offer more features such as better folding combinations. Expect to spend more on a durable SUV air mattress, with a greater choice of colors and designs.
Check the measurements before purchasing a car air bed. While many are universal and designed to fit "most" vehicles, some may not fit in your particular car or truck. For example, some are too narrow and leave a gap between your head and the door, which can be uncomfortable. If the mattress is too large, it won't fit properly in the backseat. Also, check to see how many people it’s designed to accommodate.
Most inflatable mattresses are made of synthetic plastic, which is slippery and may have an odor. Manufacturers use flocked materials to shield the user from the discomfort this may cause. You can opt for a mattress with a flocked top or even memory foam top if you’re sensitive to the feel and smell of plastic or just want additional comfort.
When you are laying down to sleep in your back seat car bed, small pillows go a long way for added comfort. These are commonly included in air bed sets and are made of the same materials as the mattress. You’ll want to cover the pillows with a sheet or cloth since they can be uncomfortable otherwise.
12-Volt Air Pump
The pump is a critical piece of hardware to set up your air bed. The good news is that it’s typically included in the all-in-one set. After you plug it into the vehicle’s 12-volt outlet, it should take about two or three minutes to fully inflate the mattress. You always have the option of supplying your own pump if you find that it inflates the bed faster than the one supplied.
- Construction Materials. More often than not, your travel air bed will be made out of PVC material. Some manufacturers, however, use TPU. TPU is heavier but is also very elastic and durable. Manufacturers wrap flocking material and cloth around the mattress itself for more comfort.
- Ease of Use. The best car air beds are easy to inflate, deflate, and store when not in use. Plus, they should accommodate your backseat comfortably with minimal adjustments. Many air mattresses have extra bolsters or pillows, which make sleeping more comfortable. Also, check to see if it has a double valve, which helps prevent leaks.
Best Car Air Beds Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Choosing the back seat bed that will work for you inevitably comes down to form, function and price. This Haitral brand bed meets and exceeds most expectations. It’s made of soft and high-quality PVC material and, in addition to being used in the car, can also be used during camping as a sleeping mattress or outside, like a small sofa.
The Haitral air bed comes in black, beige, and gray colors, allowing you to match your vehicle’s interior. It weighs just under 6 pounds. Sturdy and durable, the PVC is covered with oxford fabric for a flocked, plush feel.
The mattress may deflate when used for prolonged periods of time or may otherwise develop leaks that may require frequent inflation. Deflation can occur due to extreme temperatures overnight. The bed is also too small for some vehicles with tight interiors like pickups and SUVs.
If you consider price and quality to be equally important, this lightweight FBSport inflatable mattress is worthy of your time and investment. The appeal is its universal fit, and it comes with two inflatable pillows, inflator/deflator pump, a quick repair kit, and a storage bag. Great for camping or road trips, this car air bed offers an overall value that’s hard to find elsewhere.
With a shipping weight of just 5 ½ pounds, the FBSport air mattress is nimble and easy to set up or put away. The mattress is about 3 inches thick (57 by 35 inches long/wide) supported by 17-inch pillar air chambers. This size makes sure it fits snugly into your car or sedan.
Air leaks are a common problem plaguing air beds, and this one is no exception. The bed deflates more quickly when it cools overnight. Placed on leather seats, this bed can also be quite noisy and may require a sheet between the mattress and the seats. The air mattress can also emanate a rubber odor, so it’s a good idea to wash or ventilate it ahead of time.
This car air mattress creates a cushion that is soft and comfortable. It forms a bed using the back seat and the space between the back seat and the front seat. Having a twin-sized bed in the back can go a long way to making your car trips, camping outings, and overall travel more comfortable.
The mattress is designed to stay flat while you sleep and when you’re driving. It has cushions that face downward to fill the gap between the front and rear seats and that also fill the gap between the two rear seats. The bed is made of long-lasting PVC. The top is soft and breathable. The ribs on the mattress provide support for your back, legs, and neck.
You don’t need a tent with this mattress so you can be more comfortable when you go camping, when you go to festivals, or when you are on a long road trip. It saves money, too, because when you sleep in your car, there’s no need to rent a hotel room. Your purchase includes two pillows and a portable air pump.
Be aware that some purchasers report that the mattress might leak. Also, make sure you measure the back seat space in your vehicle against the mattress measurements so you can be certain of a correct fit.
Pittman's air mattress is designed for truck beds that are 6 to 6.5 feet wide. The mattress is 12 inches thick and comes with a portable DC air pump with a 16-foot cord. The mattress includes cutouts that allow it to fit around and over your truck's wheel wells. When fully inflated, it is 72 by 55 by 12 inches.
The mattress's heavy-duty, high-gauge PVC construction makes it puncture-resistant. It also has an integrated air-coil system to evenly distribute weight and a soft-feeling top that keeps you from sliding around. It inflates quickly and comfortably sleeps two adults. It has a small footprint when stored and provides good airflow when it's hot outside.
However, you may have to keep the tailgate down in order to use this mattress. There have also been some complaints that the air pump fails after a short period of use. Also, it doesn't span the width of some truck beds.
This inflatable mattress is designed to fit in the back seat of most cars, SUVs, and other vehicles. It has a weight capacity of 440 pounds, comes with two pillows, and is made of wear-resistant material to prevent leaking. It's easy to clean using a damp cloth and it has a portable air pump for inflation/deflation.
You can adjust the firmness of the mattress based on how much air you put into it. It comes with a storage bag and can be used on the floor of your house as well as in an automobile. It's very comfortable, holds air well, and deflates quickly. It's also very durable, and some users have had success using it with their dogs (which have long nails).
Unfortunately, it is not as long as a regular mattress and is a little too tight for more than one person. It's also not as comfortable for taller individuals. In addition, if you sweat while using it, the mattress may stain.
This air mattress is perfect for an SUV. It features a polymer corduroy surface and double-sided flocking, and it feels soft. It works well in temperatures as low as minus 13 degrees Fahrenheit. It features four separate inflation areas, so you can partially inflate it or fully inflate it depending on whether it's for one or more people.
It comes with a DC 12V air pump, which plugs into your vehicle's 12V socket. The mattress can support up to 570 pounds, so more than one person can sleep on it at a time. It's easy to inflate and deflate, is comfortable, and fits perfectly in a variety of SUVs, such as the Nissan Rogue, Toyota Highlander, and Chevy Tahoe.
One issue is that it may deflate in colder temperatures or when more than one person uses it at a time. Also, if you inflate it too much it can feel a little bouncy. Another drawback is that it emits a slight odor.
The Sierra Designs 2 Person Queen Camping Air Bed Mattress includes a built-in pillow and accommodates two people. Made of PVC and phthalate-free materials, this air bed measures 77.9 x 55.9 x 10.2 inches when fully inflated and uses standard queen-size sheets.
It comes with an oversized storage bag and a battery-operated pump that requires four D batteries. Users like that it's easy to pack up when not in use because it's surprisingly small when deflated. Also, it doesn't take too long to fill with air. It's firm, made of heavy-duty materials, and is comfortable to sleep on. It's also easy to use and stays inflated for several days. Overall, it's a great option for the price. Plus, it comes with a one-year warranty should you experience any issues.
However, while it's listed as a queen-sized mattress it's a little small for some users, who report that it seems more like a full-size air bed. Also, it's not as thick as some other options.
Designed for SUVs, trucks, and minivans, this mattress comes with two pillows, a pump, a sleep mask, earplugs, and a repair pad. It is 53 by 35 by 13 inches and features an anti-collision design for head protection and a backrest for added comfort. It's also quick and easy to inflate and deflate.
One neat thing about this mattress is that it comes with a couple of inflatable blocks that you put under the mattress between the front and back seats to prevent sleepers from falling into the crevice. It holds air well, is very affordable, and it's sturdy enough to support two people.
However, the air compressor has a very short cord, so inflating the mattress can be a little challenging. It may also emit a strong odor, and you may have to add air frequently as it can leak overnight.
The KingCamp Universal Car SUV Inflatable Back Seat Air Mattress can accommodate 485 pounds. It works with a variety of vehicles, from sedans to SUVs. When inflated, it measures 55.5 x 35.4 x 17.7 inches. It's just 15.4 x 12.6 x 4.7 inches when not in use. The air bed has a skin-friendly coating as well as a waterproof flocked top.
We like that the anti-slip material on the bottom of the air bed keeps it securely in place. The mattress is easy to clean using a damp cloth, and it takes just a couple of minutes to inflate with a pump. It also comes with a durable storage bag, so you can easily fold it and pack it up when it's not in use. Users report that it is easy to inflate and holds air for a good amount of time.
Unfortunately, it's not wide enough for certain vehicles, such as a Ford F-150, because it leaves a gap. Also, it's a little short for taller individuals.
The Zone Tech Car Inflatable Air Mattress measures 53 by 35.4 inches with a 19.7 by 31.5-inch headrest. It's made of PVC flocking material that is soft, strong, durable, comfortable, and washable. It comes with pillows, a pump, and a carrying pouch. The air bed takes just minutes to inflate, features a double valve to prevent leaks, and is easy to deflate.
Overall, it's easy to use, clean, and store when not in use. It's comfortable and has a section designed to block a vehicle's center armrest, which is convenient. The material is tough, and it repels water. People use this air bed both in the car and while camping, so it's a versatile product.
One downside is that you may need to add air periodically, depending on how long you use it. There have also been some complaints that it emits an odor that can take some time to dissipate.
- For SUVs, minivans, and pickups, it’s more practical to sleep with your head towards the front of the car. Doing this will give you more elbow space. Position yourself so your head is above your feet. If possible, make sure you park on flat pavement.
- Adding a foam mattress pad on top of the car air bed can give it a more comfortable feel. For long trips, this can provide the peaceful rest you’ll need to get back behind the wheel or to take over driving duties from someone else.
- Inflate the bed a few days before your planned trip or excursion, then re-inflate it again right before you use it. This will allow the material to stretch and reveal any potential leaks.
Q: Is TPU better than PVC?
TPU is more environmentally friendly because it doesn’t contain the industrial chemicals that are found in PVC. However, PVC is more commonly used and more lightweight.
Q: What is the typical weight capacity of an air bed? Can two people fit?
The weight capacity for most car air beds is upwards of 800 pounds, so two average-sized people can fit. The mattress is about the size of a twin-sized bed. If you’re over 6 feet tall, however, you may find the room lacking.
Our top pick for the best car air bed is the HAITRAL Car Inflatable Bed. It’s durable, designed to fit most cars, SUVs, and minivans, and can inflate in a few minutes.
If you’re looking for a bargain-priced back seat bed from a reputable manufacturer, you’d be remiss not to consider the FBSPORT BSport Car Travel Inflatable Air Mattress.