Best RV Step Covers: Keep Your Vehicle Clean
Keep the dirt out of your RV with an RV step cover.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Noelle Talmon / LAST UPDATED ON February 26, 2021
Getting an RV is an exciting adventure, and most users want to get on the road right away. However, you may need to customize it a bit before you leave for your first trip. One accessory that is often overlooked is an RV step cover. Many neglect this piece of equipment until they realize how convenient RV rugs can be. For example, one of the main reasons RVers use them is so their pets can more easily climb the stairs into the camper.
RV step covers also trap stones and other debris, so you don't track mud into your home away from home. They're a great addition to nearly any type of RV or camper. However, it can be challenging to choose the right product because there are so many options available. We list some of the best RV step covers available on the market today in our buying guide below.
This step rug is 22 x 18 x 1 inches and fits manual or electric steps 8-10 inches deep. It comes in eight colors.
- Easy to install and clean
- Mold- and mildew-resistant
- Price is a little high for one rug
- Shiny look may not be appealing
This step rug is 18 inches wide and 17.5 inches long. It works on steps that are 8-10.5 inches deep. It can be used on both manual and electric steps.
- No glue, screws, or tools required
- Sturdy and durable
- Won’t fit curved steps
- Spring isn’t the best quality
This step cover comes in two sizes and four colors and features a TPE backing to keep it tightly in place.
- Easy to install
- Weather- and mildew-resistant
- Durable and long-lasting
- Looks nice
- Colors online may not represent true color of the rug
- Can be tough to clean
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Step Covers
- They remove debris. One of the best things about RV step covers is that they can remove some of the dirt and debris that sticks to the bottom of your shoes, so you don't track it inside.
- They provide grip. RV steps have some grip, but they can get slippery when it rains or snows, so RV step covers can ensure better footing when you enter and exit your camper. This is convenient for both people and pets, who sometimes struggle when hopping into an RV.
- They create a customizable look. RV step covers come in various colors and materials, so you can choose a brand that matches your camper's aesthetic.
Types of RV Step Covers
The nice thing about rubber step covers is that they are lightweight and easy to install. They're also simple to maintain and can be washed with soap and water. If you clean them once a week, they should last a decent amount of time. Also, rubber is mold-resistant. However, rubber can get slippery in certain weather conditions.
PVC and Plastic
PVC and plastic are lighter and cheaper than other types of materials used in RV step rugs. Cleaning step covers made of PVC or plastic is a cinch and requires just soap and water—the material dries quickly, too. One downside is that PVC and plastic don’t hold up well when exposed to a lot of sunlight and can crack.
RV owners like polyester step covers because they do a better job of trapping dirt and debris than other types of material. They're also easy to clean using a vacuum. One problem with this type of step rug is that it accumulates mildew and mold a little easier.
Camco is a well-known name in the RV industry. Based in Greensboro, N.C., the company has been in business since 1966 and makes various products for RV owners, including RV hitch covers, heaters, grills, and RV step covers like the Camco 42925-A 18" Rv Step Rug.
A former Arizona plumber founded Prest-O-Fit in 1980 after finding a market for a universal RV sanitation adapter. Today the company produces patio rugs and RV step rugs like the Prest-O-Fit 2-0205 Wraparound Radius RV Step Rug.
Based in Spring Valley, Calif., Shade Pro has been equipping people with camping and RV gear for over 30 years. It makes everything from RV awnings and RV door holders to fifth wheel skirts and step covers like the Shade Pro RV Step Cover.
RV Step Covers Pricing
- Under $15: You can find some brands that sell RV step covers for an affordable price. However, you may be limited by the color selection and the number of features provided.
- $15-$30: Most RV rugs fall within this price range. They are available in different materials and sizes. Some also include UV protection and other features that cheaper models won’t provide.
- $30 and up: Should you choose to buy more than one step cover in a single purchase, expect to pay a little more money. It’s a good idea to buy a set if you have multiple steps, and you may save by buying in bulk versus buying three individual packages.
Before ordering new RV step covers, measure the steps on your camper. Be sure to write down both the width and the depth and perhaps the height. It's important to choose a product that is compatible with your steps, or it will not fit correctly. Also, take note of the number of covers that are included in each package.
Some users like thicker RV step covers because they are more comfortable to walk on. However, it can be difficult to close some steps if the rug is too thick and bulky. Check the dimensions and read reviews to see how thick a product is before you make a purchase.
Most RV step covers have grommets, and you attach springs with hooks to hold them in place. All hardware is typically included in the purchase, and you don't usually need any tools to affix them in place. Some brands have zip ties instead of springs, and you will need scissors or wire cutters for a better fit.
- UV Protection. While this feature isn't essential, it's nice to have since it prevents your step covers from fading over time. If they're exposed to a lot of sunlight, you may want to consider a product that has this type of protection. Otherwise, you may find yourself replacing the rugs because they start to look a little shabby.
- Style. As we've already noted, RV step covers come in a variety of colors and materials, so you can customize the look of your camper based on the type of rug you install on the steps. Whether you choose brown, gray, black, or another shade, you can make sure it provides a complementary look to your RV.
Best RV Step Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When cleaning your RV step covers, it's a good idea to let them dry in the sun regardless of whether you leave them on the steps or remove them to maintain them.
- As we noted earlier, you may have to remove the rug(s) to fold your RVs steps into the storage position. If this is inconvenient, consider getting a thinner step cover or one that is designed to easily attach and detach.
- To truly assess the durability and quality of a step cover, read the reviews. RV enthusiasts are quick to let others know whether a product is worth the investment.
Q: How do you install RV step covers?
The good news is that most RV step covers are simple to install. They often come with springs that you simply loop around the rugs into the existing holes in your camper’s steps.
Q: How should you take care of and clean RV step covers?
The best way to clean an RV step cover is by hosing it off to remove stones and other debris that gets trapped in the material. You may need to scrub some products for better results.
Q: How do you measure the size for RV step covers?
Measure the width and depth of the step and match the dimensions to the product you want to purchase.
Q: How long do RV step covers last?
That depends on several variables, including how often you use your RV. If you are a frequent RVer, you may need to replace the step covers at least once a year to best protect your RV.
Our pick for the best RV step cover is the Prest-O-Fit 2-0205 Wraparound Radius RV Step Rug. It fits both electric and manual steps and is very easy to install and clean. Also, it's mold- and mildew-resistant with protection against UV damage. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Camco 42925-A 18" Rv Step Rug.