Best All Weather Floor Mats: Protect Your Car Year-Round
Trap water, mud, sand, and all kinds of dirt before they get to your car’s carpet.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Norah Tarichia / LAST UPDATED ON April 19, 2021
If you reside in an area that receives heavy rainfall and snow, then you are no stranger to the muck and yuck that gets stuck on your boots and ends up on your car floor. Since the dirt makes your shoes slippery, you risk slipping and falling when you hurriedly try to get out of your vehicle and escape into the warmth of your house. Well, all-weather car mats can help prevent such accidents from occurring. They not only help to keep the dirt from penetrating your car’s carpet, but they can also provide extra grip when you try to enter or leave your vehicle.
Besides that, we can agree that how good a vehicle looks is also judged by the design and quality of the accessories in the interior. While regular car carpets can also serve the purpose of protecting the flooring, most aren’t as elegant-looking as weatherproof car mats. The latter feature rugged designs made of either plastic or rubber, and gives your interior a sporty look. So if you are looking to upgrade your car’s look and also make it a more sanitary environment, then we have got you covered.
These are rugged-looking all-weather mats that come as a three-piece set for the front and rear of Dodge Ram and crew cab pickup trucks.
- Sporty design upgrades your vehicle’s interior
- Can be trimmed to provide a perfect fit
- Features raised ridges to better capture dirt and spills
- Mat doesn’t fit properly in all cars without some trimming
- Price is high compared to other models
These are budget-priced car floor mats that come as a three-piece set. They are a universal fit for most vehicles but can be trimmed for a perfect fit.
- Sturdy and skid-resistant rubber construction
- Stain-resistant and easy to clean
- Ideal for any weather condition
- Can be trimmed for a precise fit
- May need to be aired out to get rid of the chemical odor
- May be a bit flimsy
These are vehicle-specific seat covers that come as a three-piece set for front and rear placement. They are designed for the seven- or eight-passenger 2017-2021 Chrysler Pacifica.
- Offer a high-end look
- Anti-slip and easy to install
- Made of odor-free and 100 percent recyclable material
- Backed with a lifetime warranty
- A bit pricey
- Doesn’t fit hybrid models
- May not lie perfectly flat at the edges
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of All-Weather Car Mats
- Durability. All-weather car mats are made from heavy-duty rubber which makes them last longer than other types of mats. The material is sturdy, yet flexible, allowing it to withstand wear and tear. They will also withstand constant contact and rubbing of shoes.
- Trap moisture and dirt. The surface is waterproof, allowing it to trap spillage. All-weather mats also effectively trap dry particles like sand and dust.
- Easy to clean. The materials are very easy to clean and wash. Spillage can easily be washed or sprayed with water and soap. No odor is left when the mats dry.
- Interior protection. Mats provide the best interior protection for the car floor by keeping the carpet dry and clean.
- Visual appeal. All-weather car mats will add class and color to your car by accentuating the car’s interior look.
Types of All-Weather Mats
Rubber Car Mats
Rubber car mats are very resistant to moisture and water. In wet conditions or on rainy days, all-weather mats might be your best option. They come with lines and ridges to help keep moisture or water in place. This prevents spillage on the car floor. Rubber car mats are all-weather because they capture moisture as well as dirt.
Plastic Floor Mats
Plastic floor mats are typically easy to install, and most can make your feet feel comfortable, as they are resistant to heat and water. You can either have a transparent mat or a solid color that complements your vehicle’s interior. The main downside of this type is that plastic can have a strong, unpleasant odor when new, which may take a while to go away.
For more than 30 years now, WeatherTech has been thriving in the floor liner business. The company is recognized for its high-quality and durable car mats. It makes floor mats from Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE), a rubber-like compound that doesn’t have harmful PVCs, is 100% recyclable, and is OEM-approved. The mats are designed to fit according to the car model and type. Some of its best-selling car mats are the WeatherTech 446071 FloorLiner and the affordable WeatherTech 445424 Rear Floor Liner.
Husky Liners is based in Winfield, Kansas, and has been in business since 1988. The company mainly focuses on trucks and SUVs. Hence, Husky Liners’ floor mats are not available for many cars. Its floor liners are categorized into Weatherbeater, X-Act Contour, and Heavy Duty, all of which provide protection in all weather conditions. Its best-selling product is the Husky Liners Weatherbeater Front and 2nd Seat Floor Liners, as well as affordable options like the Husky Liners Black Weatherbeater Front Floor Liners.
Motor Trend offers customizability above all else. Its all-weather car mats can easily be trimmed to fit your car with just a pair of scissors. The mats are durable and easy to clean. The company designs the all-weather mats with rubber to make them odorless and long-lasting and offers affordable options such as the Motor Trend 4pc All-Weather Heavy Duty Floor Protection and the Motor Trend FlexTough Contour Lines All-Weather Protection.
All-Weather Car Mat Pricing
- Under $80: Here you will find a variety of all-weather car mats that should suit your short-term needs in terms of quality and strength. You can easily find mats in this price range that are durable and designed to precisely fit your floor contours. However, if you are looking for a mat that will protect and sustain your floor for a long while, you should consider higher price ranges.
- $80 to $150: This is a sweet spot if you are looking for top brand car mats that both fit and protect your floor all through the season without breaking or cracking. You will also find quality, customizable all-weather car mats in this price range.
- $150 and up: In this price range, you should expect to spend more if you are looking for all-weather car mats that provide excellent protection and also give your car a premium look. The mats have good durability and provide excellent protection in all weather conditions, making them a good choice if you don’t want to keep replacing your car mats every so often.
Ridges and Rims
The ideal all-weather floor mat should have higher ridges or edges forming the perimeter of the mat. This is effective if you are looking to prevent spillage to your floor. Look for ridges or grooves that can channel or move water that accumulates behind the pedal into a catch basin to keep the surface under your feet free from water.
Ideally, the best car mat’s backing should have nibs or teeth that can sink and grab the carpet. Look for one that has a system for locking it and to prevent it from sliding all over the floor space.
Thicker car mats are better than thin ones. Thickness amounts to heaviness so the mat won’t move around the floor space. Thicker mats are less vulnerable to curling, drying out, and cracking. They also offer more effectiveness when you want to handle lots of snow, mud, or gravel.
- Color. Consider the color that matches the interior of your car. All-weather mats should accentuate the interior of the car.
- Fit. You will find many options when it comes to the all-weather floor mat’s fit. You can opt for a universal option designed for all vehicles, something custom-designed for your specific model, or a cut-to-fit option, as long as it suits your resale value.
Best All Weather Floor Mats Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Look for a mat that comes with hooks or fasteners that lock on your car’s carpet to keep it from slipping around.
- Prioritize car mats made of non-toxic and odorless material that doesn’t pose a threat to your health and safety.
- You don't have to wash the mats every week especially if they aren’t dirty. You can simply shake off the dirt or whack it against a surface to dislodge the dirt.
- Consider buying a pressure washer, as it makes it quick and easier to clean heavier chunks of dirt that are stuck on the mats.
- Beyond the addition of floor mats, you need to go a step further and protect your car seats from dirt stains and drink spills with seat covers.
Q: How long do car floor mats last?
It depends on the quality of the material; some may last for several years while other options may only last for a year before they start to wrinkle. The best thing you can do is to buy thick floor mats that can hold up to heavy-duty use. These types of floor mats are usually expensive but you will get more value for your money in the long run.
Q: How do you protect floor mats?
Ideally, you don't need to cover your floor mat, especially if it's protecting your car carpet. You need it to trap all the liquid and dirt that falls on it so it may not be as efficient at keeping your car floor dirt-free if it's covered.
Q: How long does it take for car mats to dry?
If you are working with a weatherproof car mat that’s either made out of rubber or plastic, it will dry up within the hour. However, if it’s an absorbent fabric, it may take up to 24 hours to dry.
Q: Are these floor mats prone to stain?
This depends on the material the manufacturer uses for the mats. However, you should expect a particular level of stain resistance.
Q: What’s a customized-fit car mat?
This is a mat designed to precisely fit your car’s floor contours. Depending on the manufacturer, custom-fit car mats may not be the same as Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) mats.
After thorough research, we have come to the conclusion that Husky Liners Weatherbeater Front and 2nd Seat Floor Liners are some of the best floor mats out there as they offer the best kind of protection for your vehicle’s flooring. They also offer a firm grip, so you can drive safely and get in and out of your car without slipping. If you are looking for a more pocket-friendly option that still offers a high level of protection, consider the OxGord Ridged All-Weather Rubber Floor-Mats.