Best Floor Mats: Protect Your Car’s Carpet In Style
Choose a set of quality floor mats to protect your interior and enhance aesthetics
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Our vehicles are a reflection of our personalities, and when it comes to keeping the interior clean, you have some options. Floor mats are an essential step of protecting your car's flooring while adding a level of customization. Today’s floor mats have come a long way, offering unique designs that protect the carpet and more. Check out some of the best floor mats you can buy in the guide below.
WeatherTech W340 Car Floor Mat
BDK Metallic Rubber Floor Mats
Armor All 4-Piece Black All Season Rubber Floor Mat
Benefits of Quality Floor Mats
- Protect your car's floor. First and foremost, no one wants a dirty carpet in their car. A good set of rubber floor mats is preferable for someone who works construction or out in the elements, since tracking mud and debris inside your car can cause the floor to look ragged.
- Stay safe. Quality floor mats are for more than just looks. The best all-weather floor mats will not only protect your interior but also keep your feet from slipping in dangerous driving conditions.
- Add a touch of style. When it comes to personalizing the interior of your car, everything can be made to suit the personality of the driver. Floor mats are another way that you can personalize your interior without going overboard. Most modern sets have a universal fit, which makes choosing one that matches your personality a little easier.
- Contain messy cargo. Let's face it, for most of us, we want to keep our new car looking clean for as long as possible. A new mat set can be used as a cargo liner as well. You’ll notice that a good set of mats can protect your vehicle's backseat from spills and give your floor protection.
Types of Floor Mats
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Fabric Floor Mats
Fabric floor liners have been around since the dawn of the Ford Model T, and they will continue to be an affordable and standard choice in the automotive industry. When it comes to choosing a fabric floor mat, these are the most susceptible to staining. The price point tends to be attractive, but there are more drawbacks if you live an active lifestyle.
When it comes to downright value for the automotive buck, rubber is one of the more effective materials that you can get. Rubber floor mats are easy to clean because you can just hose them off, which makes these ideal for people who have children or active lives. Today's rubber floor mats are designed with ridges and deep curves that trap dirt and debris that would otherwise fall right off of a fabric mat.
All-Weather Vinyl Mats
Driving in the rain is never fun, but if you live on the East Coast or in the Midwest, you deal with this all the time. All-weather vinyl mats are designed for various weather conditions, so you won't have to worry about slippage around the pedals or mud getting onto your carpet during a storm.
WeatherTech, one of the main manufacturers of floor mats, was founded in 1990 by David MacNeil. The company offers a wide range of different floor mat products to choose as well as other weather-protected automotive accessories such as insulated cup holders and more. We recommend that you check out the Weathertech W293 All-Weather Floor Mats.
You’ve probably seen its Hello Kitty seat covers on the shelves of your local auto parts store; the company offers a selection of different pop culture-themed interior accents. Founded in 1968 and based out of Fullerton, Calif., the company has been providing quality floor mats for almost 50 years, with no sign of slowing down anytime soon. Check out the Harley Quinn DC Comics Front and Rear Floor Mats for a unique, comic-book-themed approach.
BDK Auto has been around the block for a while when it comes to providing entry-level floor liners, and the company is one of the most common sights you'll see on the shelf at the local auto parts store. The BDK Classic Carpet Floor Mats are worth looking into if you just need affordable quality floor mats for your ride.
Floor Mat Pricing
- $9-$20: These are typically cheap car floor mats, generally made of fabric. This price range is ideal if you are on a strict budget, and you want to protect your new car’s carpeting without breaking the bank.
- $29-40: This price range is generally filled with heavy-duty car floor mats as well as snow mats for cars and trucks. This product range is generally where you will see vinyl and rubber floor mats, which tend to geared toward a specific application such as all-weather driving or off-roading.
- $40-$125: This price range is where you will see car mats that are custom contoured to your interior, Although you will pay a little more, the long-term quality might be worth considering if you plan on putting a lot of wear into the floor mats.
The best floor mats for trucks and cars protect your carpet and keep your interior looking good for a long time. If you are going to sell your car, the first thing that potential buyers may look at is the condition of the carpet. A durable set of quality floor mats will save you a headache and a sale.
Most modern floor mats contain a rubberized design, which is more durable against moisture. When it comes to damage to a vehicle's interior, moisture is your worst enemy, causing mold and other problems. The feature that most of the floor mat manufacturers have adopted generally includes nubs on the bottom, helping the mats to stay safely in place. The rubber design is easy to clean; just hose down the mats.
- Interior Style: No two floor mats are the same. When it comes to choosing the best car floor mats, you will want something that somewhat matches your vehicle's interior. Nothing is more awkward than having a red interior with a pair of cheap car floor mats that are in a different color.
- Functionality: Determine your needs before you settle on a set of fitted car floor mats because there is a set for just about everything. The best floor mats for trucks are going to be geared toward the consumer who uses a pickup truck for work. Thus, this set of floor mats would not be ideal for a sports car.
Best Floor Mats Reviews & Recommendations 2021
When it comes to an overall pick, the WeatherTech W340 Car Floor Mat is a great choice. The all-vehicle mat is made of a Thermoplastic Elastomer (TPE) compound that is odorless and latex-free. The trim-to-fit design also offers a more customized fit to your vehicle.
The mats provide a blend of style and functionality that car, SUV and minivan owners will appreciate. Plus, the mats meet ISO 9001 standards and FMVSS302 standards, a testament to their quality.
There is a downside to the WeatherTech W340 Car Floor Mat, and that is the limited selection of color options. Also, the floor mats can be a bit slippery in icy conditions, so watch your initial step into the vehicle. Otherwise, this is a straightforward set of quality floor mats that will protect your vehicle’s carpet from the elements and keep that interior looking great.
When it comes to choosing a set of car floor mats, value is important. That's why we recommend the BDK Metallic Rubber Floor Mats. The floor mats include channels throughout the rubber that are designed to trap mud and spills. These ridges also offer a bit of foot traction, which can be helpful when you track in debris.
The BDK Metallic Rubber Floor Mats come in a set of four, which provides protection for the front and back seat areas. Another perk is that they can be trimmed to fit a specific interior. This offers a level of personalization and takes the floor mats out of the one-size-fits-all realm.
These mats are only offered in three color combinations. A drawback to traditional rubber mats is the fact that they turn slippery in icy conditions. This set is still an excellent choice that will provide value and protection to your interior for many years to come.
Best for Cold TempsArmor All 4-Piece Black All Season Rubber Floor MatCheck Latest Price
The Armor All 4-Piece Black All Season Rubber Floor Mats also include universal cut lines, so you can trim them to perfectly fit your vehicle. They are designed for cars, trucks, and SUVs. The mats have carpet claw anti-slip cleats that keep them securely in place and deep tread that traps water, snow, and mud as well as dirt and other debris.
The mats are built to last even in extremely cold temperatures, so they will not curl, crack, or malform. And since they're available in black, gray, and tan, you can choose a color that matches your vehicle's interior. Users report that they're easy to cut, they don't emit an odor, and are made of a thick, flexible rubber material.
Unfortunately, they may not be wide enough for all vehicles, particularly the back mats. Also, the mats for the back don't have claws, so they have a tendency to shift a bit.
This set of four rubber floor mats come in light grey, black, and beige. The front mats measure 17.7 W x 28.35 inches, and the back mats measure 17.7 W x 17.5 inches. Like other products on this list, you can trim along the prefabricated lines for a custom contoured fit to your car.
They offer slip and spill protection with rubberized nibs on the bottom and ridges on the top. You’ll appreciate how durable these mats are thanks to the advanced rubber formula for their construction. They're also easy to clean with a hose, cloth, or vacuum.
One drawback of these floor mats is that they have a noticeable rubber smell. You’ll want to let them air out a bit before placing them in your car. They also scuff easily, which can degrade their look.
This set of three floor mats comes with two front mats and one long rear seat mat. There are several color options, including burgundy, beige, black, brown, charcoal blue, and light grey. The mats have impressive durability thanks to the advanced performance rubber polymer construction.
The mats won’t crack, split, or deform. Nibs on the bottom create grip and prevent the mats from slipping, and ridges on the top give your feet traction. The mats are designed to be trimmed for a custom fit. The front mats measure 30 x 21.5 inches, and the rear mat measures 58 x 18 inches.
Unfortunately, these mats don’t have any way of hooking onto your stock floor mat hooks. You’ll need to either cut holes or lay them on top. They are also very flexible, which can lead to them shifting if you don’t get a perfect fit.
- Heavy-duty car floor mats are an ideal choice for outdoorsmen or tradesmen who track a lot of dirt in and out of the vehicle. However, such a thick floor mat is probably not an ideal choice for a commuter car that only sees freeway driving.
- Choosing a set of fitted car floor mats is a great way to not only protect your carpet but also give your car an individual feel.
- Getting a set of cheap car floor mats can seem like a great deal at the time, but if the quality is poor, you may have to spend money on another set soon.
Q: Are rubber floor mats a good choice for kids?
A: Yes, just imagine leaving the soccer game and stopping for some ice cream. One of the worst things that can happen is your kid drips some vanilla ice cream on the carpet of your brand new car. Rubber floor mats make clean up of small messes a breeze and protect your vehicle's floor from those summertime mishaps.
Q: Are fabric floor mats hypoallergenic?
A: Yes. Obviously, you don't want to put something into your car that is going to induce allergies, but the fabric mats of today are hypoallergenic. This doesn't mean that pet hair won't cause you issues if you allow the dog to ride. If allergies are a concern, rubber floor mats might be a more viable option.
Q: Can you get custom-fitted floor mats?
A: Yes, these are known as fitted car floor mats. You can generally get a set of these directly from the automotive manufacturer to fit your specific vehicle, often at a premium cost. Getting a set of custom floor mats can become an expensive proposition, so many sets can be trimmed to fit.
When it comes to protecting your vehicle's interior from the elements, nothing is more effective than a good set of fitted car floor mats. The Weathertech W293 All-Weather Floor Mats are our choice for the best car floor mats, combining a durable and customizable design with a reasonable price point.
For the value-oriented consumer who is just trying to protect their vehicle’s carpet, the BDK Metallic Rubber Floor Mats are a reasonable value that offers some level of customization while also providing the durability of a true rubber floor mat.
MORE TO READ
Best Cordless Car Vacuums: Keep Your Floorboards and Upholstery Clean
Keep your car clean with one of these cordless car vacuums
Best LED Fog Lights: Shine Some Light in Foggy Weather
See better in inclement weather with these top-rated fog lights.
Best All-Weather Car Mats: Keep That Interior Showroom Fresh
Our top choices cover the entire area and protect against wear. They also protect the footwells from grime and debris.
Best Snow Traction Mats: Our Top Picks for Max Grip
Drive your vehicle out of the snow with these top snow traction mats