Best Dog Seat Covers: Keep Your Dog Comfortable on Long Rides
The best options for keeping a dog comfortable and contained in your car
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 10, 2019
Riding around with pets in the vehicle can be difficult without the right setup. Dogs, in particular, can get restless or testy while sitting in the back seat. This is where a good dog seat cover comes in handy, keeping both your pet happy and comfortable and the seat underneath protected. For the best seat cover options, here's our list of considerations and top picks.
- Best OveralliBuddy Dog Car Seat CoversSummarySummaryA large rear seat cover for dogs that can fit into massive interior spaces commonly found in SUVs and trucks.ProsProsInstallation is fairly straightforward. Can fold up when not in use to make room for other people in the back.ConsConsThe straps can sometimes come undone or even break after some use.
- Best ValueBarksBar Original Pet Seat CoverSummarySummaryA basic, hammock-like convertible dog seat cover that can work with other pets as well.ProsProsUses heavy-duty polyester that is waterproof. It comes with built-in Velcro straps to keep everything in place when needed.ConsConsThe cover can slide around in place under the weight of heavier dogs. The dog can also slide around the polyester surface.
- Honorable MentionBarksBar Luxury Pet Car Seat CoverSummarySummaryOne of the best premium-level dog seat covers you can set up quickly without the need for major tools.ProsProsWaterproof materials help keep the cover clean while in use. Fits most large and small vehicle interiors.ConsConsThe bottom of the seat cover can rub against the interior surfaces, degrading the materials.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Think about the size of your dog and your interior space before purchasing a particular seat cover.
- Be careful with how you set up hammock seat covers, since any areas that touch the seats or side panels can rub away.
- Secure all straps and buckles down tightly when installing a cover so the cover doesn't slide around.
Q. Can I clean a dog seat cover?
A. Yes, most covers have materials that can be easily cleaned with a vacuum, water, or laundry detergent.
Q. Do seat covers help with dog hair?
A. A large seat cover can be great for keeping a dog's shedding hair contained instead of getting on the seats underneath.
Our top pick for a great dog seat cover that doesn't disappoint is the iBuddy Dog Car Seat Covers.
Want a more affordable option? Check out the BarksBar Original Pet Seat Cover instead.