LAST UPDATED: July 3, 2019
Best Heated Car Seat Covers: Protect Your Seats and Keep Yourself Warm
Keep your body warm while you drive in the bitter cold with these heated car seat covers
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON July 3, 2019
Sitting in the car during the winter is not a fun experience, especially if it takes a few minutes to warm up; your hands are numb, your feet are aching, and you’re all bundled up. Plus, depending on the type of seats you have, they could be extra chilly when you first get in. Having a good heated car seat cover will not only keep you warm when the temperature drops, but they’ll also protect your seats. Here are the best-heated seat covers we found to warm up your seats and keep you from freezing in your vehicle.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Heated Car Seat Covers
- Keep yourself and passengers warm. Driving while you’re cold can be unpleasant. Heated car seat covers heat up your seats to warm you up and keep you from shivering while driving. They are each separate from each other, so you can have different temperatures for each seat and passenger in your vehicle.
- Protect your car’s interior. You are constantly getting in and out of your car, and this could scratch or tear your car seats. Using durable heated car seat covers can help increase the life of your vehicle’s seats and protect them from excessive wear and tear.
- Increase the resale price. Cars are a pricey item to purchase, and you may want to resell yours one day. Keeping your vehicle’s interior in excellent condition can help you get a higher price if you decide to sell it. A good set of heated seat covers can help with that.
- Add a unique look to your ride. If you’re not a fan of the way your standard seats look, having a set of the best car seat covers is a good way to make them stand out. Since heated seat covers come in many different colors and designs, you’ll be able to personalize your vehicle’s appearance.
- Lumbar support. Many car seats cover come with an added bonus of support for your body. This is a way to keep your spine straight and aligned while also healing any back pain.
Types of Heated Seat Covers
All vehicles, whether a car, truck or boat, have 12-volt power sockets, otherwise known as 12-volt auxiliary power outlets or cigarette lighters. They provide power to portable objects like phones, GPS devices, and heated car seat covers. You may even find multiple sockets throughout the car to power more covers.
Sojoy was founded in 1990 and has its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. The company creates and designs heated, cooled, and massaging seat cushions for cars. One of its top products is the Sojoy SJ154A Universal 12V Heated Car Seat Heater.
Heated Car Seat Covers Pricing
- $20-$60: Heated car seat covers range in pricing but generally won’t be too expensive. Typically, they won’t be more than $60, unless they are fitted with more power options and settings.
Many heated car seat covers come with their own automatic shut-off feature, to control how hot the fabric gets. The auto shut-off kicks in when the temperature reaches a high level or after a specified amount of time. With automatic shut-off, you don’t have to worry about turning the cover off after a certain time.
Number of Temperature Settings
Some heated car seat covers have their own heating options. These include controlling the temperature by choosing how hot you want the cover to reach. This feature could be a specific temperature; for example, 74 degrees Fahrenheit, or it could be as simple as a few buttons that control the range of heat. Consider purchasing a heated car seat cover that has a few options or controls for temperature settings.
Some heated car seat covers have an indicator on the cord or seat itself that lets you know when it is functioning. The indicator lights up when the cover is on and turns off when the cover is off, or it may also show a green or red light. This will allow you to look at the indicator to determine if the cover is on without having to touch it.
- Quantity: You’ll need to think about the number of seats in your vehicle to know how many heated seat covers to purchase.
- Cord Length: Twelve-volt heated seat covers have a cord that is a few feet in length. This will enable you to reach the nearest power outlet and use the product in either the back seat or the front seat. If you have a longer car, such as a truck or tractor trailer, you may need to use an extension cord.
Best Heated Car Seat Cover Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Aside from being one of the best-rated heated car seat covers, this one is especially soft, and the cushion is comfortable to sit on. It’s made of a thick foam padding to help preserve the material and heat the entire cover. It also comes with durable and securable elastic straps to hold it tight to any seat—one feature we found extremely useful. This way, it doesn't slide around underneath you while driving or getting in and out of the car.
The heated car seat cushion features two temperature controls: high and low. At its maximum setting, the cover will reach a temperature of 114 degrees Fahrenheit. That heat output is enough to reach through layers of clothing as well. The cover is fitted with a power-off function, so you don’t have to unplug it each time you leave the vehicle. It is also available in two color options: a black or gray velour covering.
However, even though it is at a much lower price, there are a few cons to this cover. It’s difficult to gauge the difference between the low and high heat setting and it may take a while to reach its full heating capabilities. Also, leaving it plugged in without the engine on will drain the battery quickly.
This heated car seat cover is built to fit in most vehicles and plugs into a 12-volt power socket. Its non-slip design helps it hold tight to any seat surface to give you the most comfortable driving experience. The breathable, high-quality soft polyester fabric is a great addition to help make sure you get the most heat from the cover.
The cover reaches a temperature of up to 115 degrees Fahrenheit in a short amount of time. Sojoy claims it can reach the highest setting within just three minutes. It comes with a high, low, and off setting to give you complete control over how warm you want to be during your drive. It’s even fit with a 45-minute timer so it doesn’t continue heating up without your knowledge. You can even tell when it’s working with the built-in LED light set onto the plug.
While it may say it won’t slide around when you fasten it to your seat, we found it does move a little and will require adjusting from time to time. Also, many pointed out the highest heat setting can actually be too hot at times, but not enough to leave any damage.
The Relaxzen seat cushion gives excellent vibration massages. The 10 massage motors are quite powerful and designed to target the upper, middle, and lower back and thighs. They cover five zones and have five modes and eight intensity levels, so you get to adjust the power and speed according to your preferences. The cushion features a user-friendly design and comes with a handy remote, so setting up and switching between different modes should be very simple.
The main benefit of this car seat cushion is the lumbar heating mode that keeps drivers warm during the winter. It even features the extra foam to cover the powerful massage motors. The plush polyester fabric is super soft and durable and provides enough comfort on long rides. All you need to do is plug the unit into the socket in your car, office, or home.
Those who enjoy intense massages, however, might be disappointed with the intensity of the highest vibration mode of this cushion. Another issue might be the size. Double-check the dimensions because this cushion might be too small for some people. Lastly, the straps tend to run a little short, so securing them around the car seat might be challenging.
The Zone Tech heated seat cover is another quality product that keeps drivers warm and comfortable during long winter days. The cover promotes blood circulation and helps with maintaining a healthy metabolism. It warms and soothes sore and tired muscles and provides instant relief and comfort.
The cushion features high-quality straps on the back and the bottom. They keep the cover in its place yet are elastic enough to fit any seat type. The installation is quite simple. Once you set up the cover, you only need to plug the cord into a 12V outlet. The seat will warm up instantly, and you'll be able to adjust the heating modes according to your needs. The temperature can go up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, the Zone Tech seat cover is designed to fit different vehicle types and proves to be highly portable, so you can easily switch it between your car, RV, truck, and more.
Zone Tech offers this product in a pack of two, which makes it easy on the pocketbook but not very intuitive for the installation. The cord on the passenger's seat is awkwardly positioned and makes reaching the cigarette lighter very difficult. It also might be hard to reach the on/off button.
If you want to get a car seat cover to keep you warm in an icy vehicle during winter, the Tvird one might be an excellent choice. It's a high-quality cushion that warms up quickly and ensures more comfort for your sore and freezing muscles. It even provides relief for chronic pain and promotes healthy metabolism and blood circulation.
The cover plugs into a 12V socket, so you get to use it in your car, office, home, and more. It warms up to 150 degrees Fahrenheit within three to five minutes. There are also high/low and on/off switches for easy handling and more safety on the road. You get to install it in a breeze and secure it with quality straps that go over the back and the bottom of the car seat.
The cushion does tend to slide down the car seat, though. The straps are firm and secure, but there are only a few of them, and they can't hold the cover tightly. The other minor issue is that the wiring is not rugged, especially in the part where the cord joins the control switch, so a little extra care is needed here.
Zento Deals offers a high-quality heated car seat cushion worthy of your attention. It's a powerful device that has a lot of useful features to offer. The cushion warms up to 150 degrees in a few minutes and allows for easy and quick temperature adjustments. It plugs into a 12V outlet, which means it's versatile and suitable for different vehicle types.
The cushion is quite powerful yet completely safe for use. The wires are extra-coated for more protection, and the materials are non-flammable. Thanks to the high-quality polyester, the seat cushion is very durable. It even features a thick foam padding and soft satin for more comfort during the rides. The package also includes a remote control for easy use.
The power switch is not very intuitive, however, and it might take some time to figure out how to use the temperature control feature. It's a little bit confusing. Also, some buyers noticed that the cover doesn't sit very well in all vehicles and that some wires might come out and become visible.
- Due to their internal wiring, the majority of heated car seat covers should not be cleaned in a washing machine. You should also never get them soaking wet.
- It’s recommended to wash your heated seat cover by hand using a mix of soap and water. Be sure to unplug the cover first and make sure it is completely cool to the touch before cleaning it.
- Do not dry heated seat covers in a dryer. Instead, let them air dry by opening the windows of the vehicle or setting it outside or in the garage. Ensure that it is completely dry before plugging it in again.
- Replace your heated seat cover if you notice frayed wires. They can be dangerous and lead to it improperly functioning.
- When you are not using the heated car seat cover, make sure to turn it off and unplug it. For safety reasons, it is not advisable to leave the cover on without supervision.
Q: How long does a heated car seat cover take to heat up?
A: This really all depends on the cover. While some heated car seat covers will begin to warm up shortly after you plug them into a power source, others can take several minutes before reaching the desired temperature.
Q: How long do heated car seat covers retain heat after they’re turned off?
A: Heated car seat covers can retain heat for a short time after they're powered off. Some may remain warm for between 15 to 30 minutes. Eventually, though, they will cool off and act as a regular, non-heated seat cover.
Q: Are heated car seat covers safe?
A: Some heated car seat covers have an automatic shut-off timer to prevent them from reaching dangerously hot temperatures. Heated car seat covers that remain on indefinitely have the potential to reach high levels of heat, but shouldn’t get hotter than 120 degrees Fahrenheit.
Q: Will a heated car seat cover stay on when the vehicle is off?
A: This depends on the type of 12-volt plug you have in your vehicle. Some will only function when the car is on or when it is placed in accessory mode. If the 12-volt outlet works without the engine running, the cover will stay on while the vehicle is turned off.
If you need a high-quality and fast-working heated car seat cover, check out the Wagan Soft Velour 12V Heated Seat Cushion.
The Sojoy SJ154A Universal 12V Heated Car Seat Heater is also a great, more budget-friendly heated car seat cover that will keep you warm when you need it most.