Best Sheepskin Seat Covers: Protect and Warm Up Your Car Seats
These top sheepskin car seat covers are comfortable and affordable
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Sheepskin covers are unquestionably some of the softest and most comfortable seat covers available. They help you travel in style and are also great at protecting your car seats from dust, dirt, coffee spills, pet fur, and normal wear and tear. Our buying guide offers a rundown of some of the best sheepskin seat covers in the market for your consideration.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy Sheepskin Seat Covers?
- Comfort. The fleece provides maximum support for your body and relieves muscle aches and pressure points. They offer maximum comfort during long drives and are ideal for pregnant women and people who suffer from backaches when driving.
- All-season versatility. Sheepskin covers promote airflow between your body and the seats to keep you comfortable during all seasons. Even without a heater, sheepskin covers make great insulators that keep your seats warm in the cold winter. They also stay cool during the summer.
- Protection. Most fleeces feature a layer of genuine leather under the fleece, which protects your seats from dirt, dust, and spills from staining the seats. Sheepskin covers are also very durable and can offer more than 10 years of unparalleled protection for your vehicle’s upholstery.
- Promotes health. Sitting on sheepskin can promote better blood circulation and boost the immune system. It may also heal sensitive or inflamed skin. In addition, the covers do not attract dirt and bacteria, which is good for people who suffer from allergies.
Types of Sheepskin Seat Covers
Traditional Long Wool
Traditional long wool sheepskin is made of a luxurious brand of wool that’s long and feels soft to the touch. It’s acquired from natural wool, which hasn’t been shorn and maintains most of its silky properties. It’s typically used to make floor rugs, pillows, chair covers, and car seat covers.
Curly wool has “pig-tail” curls kept at a manageable length to maintain the quality and appeal of the wool. It’s typically acquired from natural wool but is a specific breed of sheepskin to maintain quality. Curly wool pelts are typically the thickest and warmest type of seat covers. However, they can take weeks to dry and may feel itchy on the skin.
Synthetic wools are made from chemicals to create strong fabrics like acrylic, rayon, polyester, and other synthetics that mimic the qualities of natural fabrics. They are the best materials for making seat covers since they are lightweight, non-itchy, and easy to care for. However, they tend to feel clammy to the touch and have a strong odor. Synthetic wools are also highly flammable.
Aegis was established in 2005 and specializes in the production of auto accessories and home décor products. The company manufactures fleece steering wheel covers, seat belt covers pillows, floor rugs, and car seat covers. Its sheepskin covers are designed with European processing techniques and German chemicals to produce strong, comfortable, and durable products. One of its best-selling custom sheepskin car seat covers is the Aegis Sheepskin Cover.
Masque is a car accessories manufacturer based in Brampton, Ontario. It’s a subsidiary brand of The Marklyn Group. The company specializes in making leather, neoprene, and sheepskin car seat and steering wheel covers. Masque products help you accessorize your vehicle with fashionable and premium quality products. Consider buying the Masque Sheepskin Cover, which is a cheap sheepskin seat cover.
Eurow has more than30 years of experience in manufacturing and supplying microfiber textiles. Its products serve the automotive, commercial, and residential industries. The company has a 60,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art production facility in Simi Valley, Calif. Some of its products include towels, rugs, mops, car covers, and seat covers. One of its premium quality genuine sheepskin seat covers is the Eurow Genuine Sheepskin.
Sheepskin Seat Covers Pricing
- Under $100: Most of the fur seat covers within this price range are made of genuine sheepskin, which either covers the entire seat or just parts of it. The higher you are on this price range the more durable and comfortable the cover is. The lower-priced options have a thinner wool layer and are made of synthetic wool, which sheds easily.
- Over $100: At this price range, you are paying for both quantity and quality. You should, therefore, expect to find either a single premium cover for either the driver’s or passenger’s seat, a full back seat cover, or a full set of covers for all your car seats. The covers come with extra seat belt, headrest, and armrest covers. You may also find one that’s sold with a complimentary steering wheel cover.
Design and Color
Choose a seat cover that complements your vehicle's interior design and suits your taste. You can choose your favorite color and a full or partial seat cover. A full seat cover covers the headrest, armrest, and the back of the seat. A partial cover typically doesn't include a side or back cover.
Look at the craftsmanship of the cover in terms of the thickness of the wool, the seams, inner layer strength, and the quality of the attachment straps. These features determine the durability of the cover. If the fabric is thin, it may start to feel uncomfortable and tear in less than a year.
Shop for car seats that match your car seat configurations. You should select covers that match your car's year, make, and model for a perfect fit. You should also consider the size and shape of the passenger and back seat if you want to get a full set of covers.
- Airbag Compatibility: Some seat covers may prevent the side airbag from being deployed in case of an accident. You don’t have to alter the fabric by yourself. Instead, consider buying seat covers that can accommodate the side airbags.
- Maintenance: Sheepskin covers typically require a certain level of maintenance, and the curlier the cover is, the more maintenance it needs. Curly covers tend to hide dirt, and shaking off the covers may not be enough. You can use a dog brush to comb through the fabric. Give priority to soft and straight covers since they require minimal maintenance.
Best Sheepskin Seat Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- You can clean sheepskin covers by shaking them vigorously or vacuuming them since the material naturally sheds dirt. Give them a gentle wash if you want to remove coffee stains from the fabric. Use a cat brush to fluff the wool afterward. You can use mild dish detergents to spot clean the fabric.
- Do not expose the wool to direct sunlight or direct heat from a dryer. The fabric may shrink. Leave the fabric to drip dry by spreading it on a raised surface with the fleece side facing downward. You can also use a cooling fan to dry the wool.
- Switch around the covers in your car seats after a few weeks to promote even wear. For example, put the cover in the driver's seat (which typically wears out faster than the rest) in the back seat to give the wool a chance to regain its shape.
Q: Do sheepskin covers feel comfortable on a motorcycle seat?
A: Yes they do. They are the best covers to keep your bottom cool as you ride in the heat. The cover won't feel hot even when you leave it in direct sunlight for hours. However, the wool needs more maintenance when installed on a motorcycle seat, since its more exposed to dirt and dust. The wool also doesn't last long on a motorcycle seat since direct sunlight thins and shrinks the fleece.
Q: Can I install sheepskin covers on heated or air-conditioned seats?
A: Yes, you can install the sheepskin covers on heated seats, but it will take longer to heat up. The fleece adds an extra layer of protection against heat. For an air-conditioned seat, you will notice that the fleece gets cooler, but you may not feel air passing through the seats. Consider getting perforated or meshed sheepskin covers if you would like to get more heat from your car seat.
Q: Do I have to remove my existing upholstery?
A: Most covers can slip over the existing upholstery and leave enough room for the side airbag and power controls. You can also find a bottom-only cover that you can lay on top of the existing car seat cover. They typically include straps on the back for a secure fit on the car seat.
Our pick for the best sheepskin seat cover is the Eurow Luxury Sheepskin Seat Cover. It is a great fit for low-back car seats and also includes a headrest cover. Its thick wool layer provides utmost comfort on long drives, and the material is good for keeping your back warm during the cold season.
Consider purchasing the Masque Sheepskin Cover if you are looking for something cheap. It’s a black sheepskin seat cover designed to complement your vehicle’s upholstery and to provide maximum back support and comfort to the user.