Best Garage Floor Mats: Protect and Upgrade Your Garage
Prevent stains and catch oil leaks with these high-quality garage floor mats
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON September 27, 2019
The garage is a major gateway into your house and should be properly maintained. Making sure the floor is clean and free of stains will prevent it from showing wear and tear. That’s where a garage floor mat can help. First, it can easily be placed beneath any vehicle to catch leaks or spills. It also prevents grass, dirt, or grime from being dragged into the house. Here are the top-rated garage floor mats to consider to better protect your garage and home.
- Best OverallArmor All Garage Floor MatSummarySummaryThese large, car-length floor mats are specifically designed to protect the floor against stains and spills. The dense fabric can absorb and contain moisture to prevent the liquid from leaking or soaking through to the floor.ProsProsYou can easily install the mat by using the affixed double-sided tape. The strong adhesive polyvinyl rubber clings firmly to the ground, enabling you to park on top of it. It’s also simple to cut with scissors, and the firm edges will not fray or split.ConsConsEach mat is rather expensive and may come with wrinkles that may not fade over time. The mats are also a bit thin and may not hold a ton of water but can handle most garage spills.
- Best ValueDrymate Large Premium Absorbent Garage Floor MatSummarySummaryThis mat is simple to set up and is capable of trapping and containing all types of vehicle liquids, such as motor oil, radiator fluid, and power steering fluid. It also keeps grass and dirt from entering your home.ProsProsIt is designed with waterproof backing and long-lasting polyester fiber that is easy to clean with soap and water. Each is developed with a non-slip backing to prevent the mat from sliding around.ConsConsIf you want to cover a large space you will have to order multiple mats. The material is not heat-resistant, and being left in extreme temperatures may weaken the fabric.
- Honorable MentionProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Garage Floor MatSummarySummaryThese high-quality and thick EVA foam floor mats are soft and provide an extra layer of protection for your feet and cars. Each one is water-resistant to handle liquids and also noise-resistant.ProsProsThe mats are lightweight and can be moved around easily by hand to connect each one together. Plus, it covers a 24-square-foot area. They also contain no trace of toxic phthalates and are eco-friendly.ConsConsTheir size means a large amount of weight can move them around. You may need to hold them down with heavy-duty tape. Plus, they can tear if forcibly moved. If you order replacements, the new set may not match the old set.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Garage Floor Mats
- Prevent damage. The best garage floor mats are designed to keep the ground from being harmed from chemicals, such as oil spills, power steering fluid, gasoline, and any other drips or leaks from your car, truck, or SUV.
- Remain clean. The garage is one of the common entrances to your home, and you want to keep it clean. A containment mat can also be used to wash off the bottom of your shoes before you step foot inside to prevent any mud or grass from getting on your carpet.
- Provide a cover. While garage floor mats are developed to absorb liquids and fluids, they can also be used to provide a soft cover on the ground. Think of it as a picnic blanket for your garage. If you ever need to lie on the ground and do some work on your vehicle or work out in the garage, they are a great choice for both.
Types of Garage Floor Mats
This is the most common type of mat and perhaps even the most durable of garage flooring materials. These mats are designed with a strong and thick layer of fabric built to absorb nearly any type of fluid. The material is capable of holding fluids to stop them from leaking onto the garage floor.
This type of mat is commonly seen in gyms or yoga studios and is made up of tough yet bendable, high-quality polymer foam. Each foldable EVA mat can be interlocked with another to create and build your own custom design for all garage floors. They are versatile and convenient to carry and move around as you create your own DIY garage.
Perhaps one of the most well-known names in the world of cars, Amor All designs cleaning products. The company operates out of Danbury, Conn., and began in 1962 with a formula designed to protect rubber, plastic, and vinyl. One of its best floor protectors is the Armor All Garage Floor Mat.
This Minnesota-based manufacturer began its business more than 30 years ago. The company began its focus on creating a waterproof blanket. Today, it continues to create and design all types of waterproof and water-resistant floor mats, including the Drymate Large Premium Absorbent Garage Floor Mat.
Garage Floor Mats Pricing
- $10-25: Here you will find garage floor mats that are smaller and perhaps easier to place and move around. These are typically foam tiles that interlock with one another or ones you can quickly set up when needed. They will be made of high-quality materials capable of absorbing any fluid that comes from your vehicle.
- $25 and up: In this price range you will find much larger garage floor mats, and they are designed to stay beneath a vehicle while it is parked. They can take up more room, may even fill the entire garage, and feature the same quality of materials as the cheaper mats.
When choosing a garage floor mat, you need to find one that suits your particular needs. If you constantly deal with leaking fluid, you will need a mat that is capable of absorbing a lot of liquid. Many can only take so much before the fluid begins to damage them and run through to the floor. Foam garage tiles may not be that absorbent but can still do a great job at handling a certain amount of liquid. Fabric mats will generally provide a more even manner to absorb whatever is leaking.
Mats come in a variety of different sizes. If you need one that fits underneath the entire vehicle, you will want to compare its length with the car. You may also decide you want to cover the entire floor of the garage with a mat. While that is doable, it may be expensive or difficult to do. Foam garage floor tiles may be your best choice for covering more space. Mats tend to be more cumbersome and can be a hassle to move around on your own.
Consider getting a garage floor mat that suits the climate you live in. If you live somewhere that gets a lot of snow or rain, you may want a mat with thicker fabric or more layers so it’s more absorbent. If you live in a hot environment you should think about getting a mat that is heat-resistant.
- Adhesive: Keeping the mat on the floor can also be a hassle. Make sure it has a strong adhesive backing to it to prevent it from moving around while you work on it.
Best Garage Floor Mats Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Overall: Armor All Garage Floor Mat
Armor All is known for making high-quality products that clean and protect your vehicle, and its brand of garage floor mats are highly effective. These large, car-length floor mats are specifically designed to protect the floor against stains and spills. The dense fabric absorbs and contains moisture to prevent the liquid from leaking or soaking through to the garage floor, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning up messes.
Each mat is easy to install by using the affixed double-sided tape provided on the bottom of the material. The strong adhesive polyolefin rubber is capable of clinging firmly to nearly any garage surface, enabling you to park on top of it as a sort of parking mat. It’s also simple to cut with scissors, and the firm edges will not fray or split.
There are a few things to note with the mats, however. Each one is on the expensive side and may come with wrinkles that might not fade over time. The mats are also a bit thin and may not be capable of holding a large amount of liquid all at once. However, they can handle most leaks that come from a vehicle.
Best Value: Drymate Large Premium Absorbent Garage Floor Mat
This mat from Drymate is simple to set up and is capable of trapping, containing, and absorbing a wide variety of vehicle liquids, such as motor oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, and even gasoline. The material is also great at cleaning grass and dirt from the bottom of your shoes before entering your home.
The mat’s fabric is created with waterproof, long-lasting polyester fiber that is simple to clean with soap and water. You can even use a vacuum to pick up any unwanted surface dirt and debris. Each mat is also developed with a non-slip backing to prevent the mat from sliding around beneath you.
One thing to keep in mind before ordering these mats is that they aren’t very big. If you want to cover a large space you will have to order multiple mats. Also, the material is not heat-resistant, and being left in extreme temperatures may weaken the fabric, causing it to bend and fold at the edges.
Honorable Mention: ProsourceFit Puzzle Exercise Garage Floor Mat
These high-quality and thick EVA foam floor mats may be the softest and lightest of our selections. The material is soft and provides an extra layer of protection for your cars as well as your feet. Each one is also water-resistant to absorb and repel leaks and spills to keep your floor safe. They are also available in different colors to add style to your garage.
One bonus is that the mats are lightweight and can be moved around easily by hand. Each one is able to connect to another to fill a space of your choosing. Plus, they cover an area of 24 square feet. They also contain no trace of toxic phthalates and are eco-friendly. Another benefit is they are noise resistant to reduce the sound of whatever is set on top of them.
While they may be able to be set up in a breeze, their size means a large amount of weight can move them around more easily. You may need to hold them down with heavy-duty tape or a strong adhesive. Plus, they can tear if forcibly moved. In addition, if you order replacements, the new set may not match the old set.
- Consider placing a garage floor mat directly beneath the area where the leak on your vehicle originates. Constantly driving over the mat may damage it and reduce its ability to properly hold and catch leaks.
- Make sure you clean the area beneath the mat before placing it down. This can help ensure it stays in the proper place without moving or sliding around.
- These mats are typically not designed to hold leaks from batteries. Over time, the battery acid may damage the mat.
Q: How do garage floor mats handle snow and ice?
A: Garage floor mats are great for small oil or power steering leaks, but they are not designed to handle larger amounts of fluid. If there is any leftover snow or ice packed onto the vehicle after parking it, the mat may become oversaturated and it can leak.
Q: How often should I wash the mat?
A: You should consider washing it after you see a substantial amount of leaks or spills on it. This can prevent any unwanted smells or damage to the mat itself.
Q: How do you clean a garage floor mat?
A: The simplest way is to take it outside, hang it up, and then spray it with soap and water. Once it is dry, you can vacuum it or let it air dry for 24 hours.
Q: Will a garage mat fit the entire length of the garage?
A: This depends on the size of your garage, but probably not. Many are designed specifically to cover the length of a standard car. However, they all should be light enough to be placed exactly where you need them.
Consider the Armor All Garage Floor Mat if you want to prevent leaks from ruining your floor.
The Drymate Large Premium Absorbent Garage Floor Mat is also an excellent choice for its maneuverability and spill-stopping power.