LAST UPDATED: April 14, 2021
Best Leather Seat Covers: Our Top Picks for Upgrading Your Style
Leather seat covers are a great option for upgrading your car’s interior.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON April 14, 2021
If you’ve got a car whose seats are starting to look a little worn and worse for wear, or if you’re looking to protect your car’s seats from damage, purchasing a new set of car seat covers can be a quick and economical way to revitalize your ride. If you want something a little classier looking or more subdued than printed seat covers, consider leather seat covers.
For not much more than you would spend on fabric seat covers, you can get the added durability and style of leather with synthetic or polyurethane leather seat covers. They’re rugged and durable, easy to clean and come in colors and styles to match almost any vehicle on the road. Check out our comprehensive product review and our in-depth buying guide to help you find just the best leather car seat covers to suit your needs.
A seat cover that comes in 10 different colors, you’re sure to find one that suits you. High-quality material at a suitable price.
- 3D air mesh with center perforation for breathability
- Extra padding on the cushion
- Unencumbered air bag function
- Easy installation
- Although the fit claims to be universal, you’ll definitely want to check out the dimensions of your seats before ordering
A full coverage seat cover for your car’s front seats. They’re constructed from a combination of microfiber and faux leather.
- Super budget-friendly, these seat covers offer complete protection from spills, stains, and debris
- Waterproof and easy to clean
- Installation is a quick, 3-step process
- These covers aren’t as durable as some others on the market
- They’re very limited in color choices, only coming in black with different colored accents
Comfortable, stylish, and high-performance, these covers are a great pick if you’re looking for something to invest in.
- Super soft perforated faux leather
- 3mm foam padding for bulk-free padding
- Integrated headrest covers
- Universal fit
- Buckles are a little more fragile than we like and need to be readjusted quite often
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Leather Seat Covers
- Protect your seats. Leather car seat covers can do wonders for protecting your car’s interior. They’ll keep your seats safe from the wear and tear of frequent use, saving you cash on fixing up the seats.
- Upgrade your style. Not only do seat covers offer a protective element, they also improve the overall look of your car’s interior. If you’ve always wanted leather seats but had to opt for fabric instead, this is a great way to make them look nicer without spending a lot of money.
- Increase your resale value. A well-cared for interior is a major factor in calculating the car’s resale value. If your seats are free from rips and wear, your resale value will be that much more improved.
Based in Beloit, Wis., Leader Accessories has been around for a number of years, making all kinds of gear. Its top products include camping equipment, automotive accessories, and garden goods. Check out their high-quality SUV seat covers.
A web-based provider of fine automotive goods, Big Ant has been around for about a decade. It specializes in good-quality seat covers made at affordable prices, making them a consumer favorite. Among the top sellers is the Wrapping Front Cushion Leather Cover.
Founded in 2007, Car Pass is based in Texas and specializes in producing seat covers, and only seat covers. That’s a great indicator of the passion and dedication that goes into every design. Top products include its Universal Air Fresh Seat Covers.
Leather Seat Cover Pricing
- Under $20: Leather seat covers vary over a large price range. In the budget price class, you can find a variety of different picks, which will all differ greatly in their quality and durability. The old adage holds here—if it looks too good to be true, it probably is. Most will be quite basic, but some are worth spending money on.
- $20 to $50: In this price range, you’ll find a wide range of good options, from basic seat covers to sleeves and pads. The quality will be good overall, with great durability and stylish options. You’re better off investing a little bit more for better quality.
- $50 and up: If you’re looking to invest in your car’s interior, this is the way to go. You’ll find a number of great options, many of which imitate the look of high-quality leather. At this price, you’ll also find a couple of options that come as a set, saving you some cash.
Size and Fit
One of the most important things to look out for is the overall size and fit of the product. A good fit is critical to ensuring a seamless look and a comfortable seating experience where rolls and bulges just won’t do. Make sure to measure your seats and only invest in a product that matches the dimensions well.
Make sure that the straps (if your seat covers have them) fit well, are adjustable, and don’t get twisted or in the way. A good-fitting cover is a long-lasting cover. You’ll also want to make sure that the material of the straps is similar to that of the entire cover—not only is that a mark of quality, but it also ensures a more seamless look. Avoid shoddy elastic straps and instead opt for durable, adjustable straps that you can tighten down once they start to stretch out, as they inevitably will.
In terms of quality, the type and thickness of the material are a big indicator of the overall durability. You’ll want to look out for the craftsmanship of the seams, the edges, the straps, and any elastic components. Also, make sure that the leather isn’t too thin or flimsy, or you’ll end up with rips in no time.
- Type. Watch out for leather covers that are just the front side of a seat. You’ll want something that encompasses most of your seat for a seamless look.
- Headrests. How the leather seat cover handles your headrest is also important. You’ll want to ensure that it’s covered well and that the overall look matches the rest of the seats.
- Water Resistance. Not all covers are made equally. If you’re someone who frequently has a beverage, or has kiddos who like to eat and drink in the car, make sure that the covers you choose are water resistant so a spill doesn’t stain your seat.
- Cushioning. Some seat covers also feature built-in cushioning. If you want some extra padding, look out for that feature.
- Warranty. Consider purchasing a set of seat covers that come backed by a solid manufacturer’s warranty, or at least a timely refund policy. Measuring and selecting leather seat covers isn’t an exact science, and sometimes items arrive and are much different than you expected. It’s good to be able to return or exchange them without being stuck with something that doesn’t suit you.
Best Leather Seat Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Our top pick comes in 10 different colors, so you know you’ll find one to match your car’s aesthetic. The material is a 3D air mesh with a center perforation that adds extra thickness and offers comfort and breathability. That’s an important feature, especially on longer car rides. The design itself is sideless, which allows integrated airbags to function unencumbered by the seat cover and support built-in seat belt holders. As the material is easy to clean and machine washable, cleaning up spills is no problem. Likewise, the universal fit is made to work with almost all seats, and non-slip backing keeps the covers solidly in place. The installation is also easy — simply slip them on and you’re ready to go. The back also features storage pockets, which makes stowing snacks on road trips a breeze. Finally, the integrated headrest cover allows for a seamless look.
All the great features aside, one drawback is the fit. Although it’s touted as being universal, be sure to check that the dimensions fit with your seats at least approximately. Final adjustments can be done with the straps, but besides that, you’ll want a fit that’s already decently close to the size of your factory seats.
These seat covers are constructed from a sleek-looking combination of microfiber and faux leather designed to make your car seats look just like new and protect your original upholstery. These covers offer complete seat protection that protects against spills and stains. Not only are these car seat covers budget-friendly, but they’re also quick and easy to install. Just follow the simple three-step installation process that’s outlined in your user manual, and you’ll be ready to roll in minutes.
While these seat covers are designed to fit most front bucket seats in a wide variety of cars, trucks, SUVs, and minivans, be sure to take measurements of your car’s seats before purchase. One thing to note is that these car seat covers aren’t the most rugged or durable on the market. If you’re looking for something that can withstand some significant wear and tear, maybe consider other options.
This leather seat cover set made our list for several reasons. The material is a very soft, perforated faux leather with 3mm foam padding for comfort that doesn’t add bulk to your seats. They also come with integrated headrest covers, so make sure that your headrests can be detached before you invest in this set. As with most well-designed seat covers, these are also side airbag compatible. If you’re looking for something to add some pep to your interior, these might be the way to go. Their sleek black leather look is the perfect choice for refreshing your aged seats. The elastic side fabric and adjustable straps ensure a good fit in a wide variety of different cars, making this a great choice for sedans, vans, and SUVs alike.
One of the things we dislike about these covers is the size and hold off the integrated buckles. On some versions of this set, they can come undone rather quickly, which is a definite drawback when you’re looking for something that will always stay in place. That being said, you can definitely DIY a solution to keep them solidly in place.
This attractive set of five covers is designed to create a tight fit on most SUV seats. It’s made out of high-quality PVC leather and is meant to withstand all types of wear and tear. The seams are finely stitched to prevent frays. Worried about staining? These covers are waterproof and won’t wear down quickly. A key feature is a sleek design that matches most vehicle styles. Though the covers provide a secure fit, you don’t have to worry about them damaging your upholstery. Since the system is compatible with airbags and leaves your buckles exposed, it is a very safe option. By incorporating pockets for easy storage, you get both style and convenience.
While these seat covers fit with most SUV and CUV setups, it is best to check the compatibility with your vehicle. Provided it fits, you can place them easily with the help of the included user manual. Attractive and long-lasting, these covers resist scratches and fading. For a long-lasting solution, this is a great option.
Coming in four different colors, these cozy leather seat covers are subtle yet effective. The set comes with two pieces, meant to cover both front seats. It wraps easily into place, requiring limited effort and no tools. Made of high-quality leather, the fabric promotes airflow to prevent it from getting sticky in humid environments. Featuring a rubber base, you don’t have to worry about the covers losing their grip when you move. This also prevents damage to your existing upholstery. Since it comes with accessories meant to ensure a firm fit and access to your seat belt buckle, it is a very safe option. With a high-rising seat, you get both comfort and protection for your car.
While these covers are excellent, they do not go over the back of the seat. As such, they are great for protecting from some (but not all) spills. Primarily used for comfort, these seat covers are a great choice for those who spend a lot of time on the road.
When seeking the benefits of leather while remaining eco-conscious, these covers are a great choice. Made out of faux leather, you get the benefits of a tight hold without using animal products. The set comes in 10 different colors and styles, letting you cultivate the best possible look for your vehicle. Durable and long-lasting, these covers go over the whole of your seat. This keeps both your legs and back comfortable as you ride. It also prevents issues from scratches and spills to the upholstery. Designed to offer a universal fit, the seats are a great choice for vehicles of all sizes (provided the base is smaller than 57 inches). Stylish and comfortable, these covers keep your car or truck’s surfaces safe.
Despite touting a universal fit, the installation process can be somewhat time consuming. There are specific instructions to follow, and usually, you will be done in less than an hour. Once in place, these breathable covers are gentle on the skin and built to last over the long term.
These sleek covers are both attractive and high functioning. Blending a black base with red accents, the covers offer a subtle style that works in most vehicles. The set comes with two covers that are meant for the passenger and driver’s seats. Made out of high-quality polyurethane leather, the covers are backed with suede for added gentleness. A key benefit is how easy these covers are to clean. Since the material is waterproof, you don’t have to worry about spills or stains. Simply wipe them down and they are back to prime condition. The leather material is very resistant to wear, so friction won’t cause flaking. By fitting into place with a user-friendly elastic, installation is quick and efficient.
Even though the covers are odorless and work with both airbags and seatbelts, they only work for the front end of your vehicle with exactitude. Covers for the rear side of your vehicle use a Velcro attachment to provide the fit you need instead of the elastic for the front end. Nonetheless, the seats let you retain all safety features while adding comfort and style to your ride.
This set comes with a single piece to enhance the comfort of the driver. The design is most accommodating in cars, so for the best results, check compatibility first. As long as it fits, this single cover offers optimal protection for your upholstery. It promotes a longer life for your seat, keeping scratches, spills, and fabric damage at bay. The cover goes over the base of the seat instead of incorporating a headrest. This means you get a lot of comfort and protection where wear and tear are most likely. This set is available in multiple colors, letting you choose the right style for your car’s design. Each of the selections is made out of synthetic leather. With strong stitching and optimal breathability, you get the advantage of long-lasting comfort.
While this selection offers high utility, incorporating a pocket and letting you access airbags, it does only cover one seat. It’s well-suited to lengthy car rides since it is almost a half-inch thick. Powerfully resisting wear and tear, this seat cover is excellent for convenience and comfort alike.
These seat covers are designed to cover the base of your car seat, not the back support. Constructed from premium PU leather, they offer a comfortable, soft texture that’s great to sit on year-round. They’re fully waterproof and super easy to clean. They also come in various colors to match most typical vehicle upholstery décor, or you can choose a completely different color to act as a stylish accent. Measuring 21.26 x 20.86 inches, these seat covers are compatible with most SUVs, minivans, and pick-up truck bucket seats. They feature a durable wrapped edge bottom for better protection and fit. In some cases, they will look exactly like your car’s original upholstery. The heavy-duty non-slip bottom and anchoring system ensures that these seat covers won’t shift around.
There have been a few customer complaints about some missing parts upon arrival, but quick customer service response times rectify any issues.
These universal fit car seat covers include a total of 11 pieces: two front seat cushions, two backrest cushions, one Velcro armrest cover, two rear bases, one middle base mat, one headgear, and two head pillows. They're compatible with most five-seat cars, SUVs, and pick-up trucks. The sideless design allows for easy access to all seat belts and won't block airbag deployment. These covers even feature small pockets for storing small items neatly and securely. The back seat covers are substantially adjustable and utilize zippers and Velcro for secure anchoring. The seat covers themselves are constructed from plush, environmentally-friendly luxury PU leather suitable for year-round use. The pillows and areas of the sides and tops of the covers are constructed from leather vinyl that is waterproof and easy to clean.
Even though some users report difficulty installing these seat covers, they are very secure and don't move around once they're in.
- Cleaning most leather seat covers is a pretty easy task. For basic maintenance, just wipe them down with a damp cloth and then a dry one to avoid water stains.
- If you’ve got high-quality leather, you’ll want to ensure that it keeps its luster. Regular oiling of your seats should be a part of your maintenance routine.
- If you really want to invest a lot in great seat covers that will last you a long time and look really good, consider a custom-fit or a semi-custom option. They’re made especially to fit your seats perfectly, offering the best user experience.
- If you’ve got an adjustable seat cover, make sure that the straps aren’t too tight. This will result in stretching and warping, which will mess with the shape of the cover in the long run.
Q: What’s the best material for seat covers?
Synthetic or genuine leather is one of the best materials you can choose for a durable and stylish seat cover. Not only does it looks classic and classy, but it’s also ultra-rugged and super easy to clean compared to some other materials.
Q: Will seat covers work with side airbags?
All of today’s modern seat covers are designed to work with your car’s side airbags without compromising deployment time or function. All of the seat covers you can buy currently have been tested for safety and approved for purchase.
Q: Is faux leather a good option?
Faux leather is an excellent option if you’re looking for low maintenance and budget-friendly seat covers under $100. Many of today’s faux leathers are virtually impossible to differentiate from genuine leather. They’re an animal-friendly, environmentally friendly, and wallet-friendly alternative to real leather.
Q: How do I install seat covers?
If you want your seat covers to look good, they have to fit right and be properly installed. To do that, ensure that you’ve got an extra set of hands helping to make quick adjustments. Start by placing the cover over the front of the seat (for covers that strap in the back) or directly over the seat (for slide on covers). Then adjust and tighten as needed.
Q: What about covers for my backseat?
Many seat covers are made for the front seat only, leaving the question of what to do with the backseat. Car seat protectors don’t have to be custom-made in order to work on a split bench. You can achieve the perfect fit on your cloth seats using auto seat covers designed for the back.
Now that you’ve seen some of the top-quality options available for leather car seat covers, it’s probably easy to see why we chose the FH Group Leatherette Seat Covers as our top pick. They look great, are super comfortable, and come in lots of different colors to suit your needs.
If you’re looking for something a little more budget friendly, check out the Motor Trend MTSC304 Gray Plush Leather Covers. They’re a great option for refreshing the look of older seats without breaking the bank.