Best Waterproof Car Covers: Protect Your Car’s Paint
Add an extra layer of protection for your parked car with these waterproof car covers
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Worried that your car may be affected by the harsh elements of the weather? Let us help you out by pointing you to the best waterproof car covers. Not only will using a car cover block out rain, but the covers will also protect your vehicle from bird poop, dust, rust, and strong UV rays. Waterproof covers come in handy, especially if you don’t have a garage to park in. If you happen to be a first-time buyer, this buying guide has narrowed down the best-rated car covers for your vehicle that are affordable and of good quality.
- Best OverallOxGord Signature Car Cover CoverSummarySummaryThe OxGord cover is designed with a five-layer waterproof cover that offers maximum waterproof protection.ProsPros
Consists of five layers of protection; breathable fabric that prevents the growth of molds; comes with a storage bag and antenna patch; actively repels water; durable.ConsConsMaybe too large for some vehicles. Specifically, the length of the cover is different from the product description.
- Best ValueKayme Waterproof Weather CoverSummarySummaryThe Kayme cover has a reflective strip, which provides additional visibility, and durable polyester material that provides protection against water.ProsProsAvailable in a variety of sizes; lightweight; zipper access to the driver’s door; actively repels water.ConsConsThe stitching and fabric are flimsy and prone to tearing in windy conditions.
- Honorable MentionLeader Accessories Waterproof CoverSummarySummaryOverall, the Leader Accessories cover is affordable and offers great protection. The cover is also biodegradable, making it earth-friendly.ProsProsComes with windproof straps; earth-friendly with a biodegradable fabric; cover only weighs 2.5 pounds; good fitting.ConsConsNo reinforcement patches for the antenna. Difficult to use in windy conditions with securing the cover with extra straps or tape.
Why Buy a Waterproof Car Cover?
- Protect your vehicle from strong UV rays. Strong UV rays can really destroy your car’s paint job. To prevent this, you need a good-quality car cover. Taking your car to the shop for a new paint job can be quite expensive. If you get a good car cover, this is an expense that you’ll certainly be able to avoid.
- Combat harsh weather conditions. Severe storms can occur anywhere. Hail, rain, heavy winds, tornados, ice storms, and heavy snow can all lead to paint damage. Getting a rainproof car cover will safeguard your car from rusting.
- Keep your vehicle clean. Car covers protect your car from dust, debris, water, and bird bombs, and also ensure that you don’t waste money going to get it cleaned every so often.
Types of Waterproof Car Covers
Universal car covers are cheap but don’t fit properly on the vehicle. Although not the best car covers for outdoor storage or indoor storage, they can be quite useful when it comes to protecting your vehicle from harsh UV rays.
Semi-Custom Fit Covers
These definitely provide customers with value for their money. Being a much better option than the universal covers, they are designed to fit the length, height, and width of most vehicles.
As the name suggests, they are designed to fit your vehicle perfectly. They also have mirror pockets as well as antenna provisions.
Leader Accessories is a well-to-do brand that has been around for over 30 years. This trusted manufacturer designs and sells outdoor products, with one of its best offerings being car covers that provide maximum protection to your vehicle. Leader Accessories offers a wide selection of waterproof car covers with its Mid Grade car cover being among the most popular.
OxGord Car Covers
OxGord is a company that has been in business since 1987. As a world-renowned manufacturer of high-quality auto parts, its waterproof car covers ensure maximum protection from intense weather conditions as well as other environmental elements that may affect your vehicle’s bodywork. Its Signature Waterproof Car Cover is without a doubt one of the best waterproof car covers in the market.
Kayme All Weather
Kayme is a brand that is quite popular in the car accessories spot. The company has been around for over 18 years, during which it has developed great-quality covers for a wide range of vehicles. The aluminum stripes present in all its covers is a unique feature that you probably won’t find from other manufacturers. The stripes aid in improving visibility to other drivers and protecting your paint job from the sun’s harmful UV rays. The Kayme car cover for automobiles is definitely one of its bestselling products.
- Under $30: There are a number of waterproof car covers that fall in this category. You might, however, have to contend with the fact that the type of material used isn’t as effective as those that are a bit pricier.
- $31-$40: You can find quite a number of good, quality covers within this price range. This price range includes all waterproof and dust-resistant covers for your SUV, sedan, and almost every other type.
- $41-$50: At this range, you can get up to seven layers of protection and a snug fit for your vehicle. These covers are perfect for outdoor use.
- Over $50: It might seem too pricey, but for the best waterproof car cover, this is the range to consider. These covers are made from great materials with more than enough layers of protection.
The main reason for purchasing a car cover is to safeguard your paint job against harmful weather conditions. The cover’s material should be strong and sturdy to provide maximum protection from rain, hail, snow, and strong winds.
- Breathability: This allows the free flow of air, which in turn reduces condensation. Little or no condensation ensures that the car doesn’t rust, especially if it’s not in use for a long time. A car cover that uses good-quality, breathable fabric will help keep moisture that’s outside out and expel any moisture that’s underneath.
- Soft Interior: A soft interior makes sure that your vehicle is touched with care and doesn’t leave any scratches or dings on the paint job. Nothing is as annoying as getting a cover to prevent any damage and then ending up with unforeseen paint destruction.
Best Waterproof Car Cover Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Waterproof Car Cover Overall: OxGord Signature Car Cover
The OxGord Signature Car Cover is among the best car covers on the market. It is designed with a five-layer, heavy-duty waterproof cover and three layers of polypropylene. This means that the cover offers superior protection from rain, bird droppings, and other sturdy weather conditions.
With a breathable film, there’s no condensation, which prevents the buildup of mold or mildew. On top of that, its reinforced seams ensure the cover will stay put during strong winds and prevent any damage to the car’s body. Its soft cotton fabric prevents any unexpected scratches on the paint job. An elastic hem also ensures that the cover fits snug on the vehicle.
This cover, however, might be too large for some vehicles. Definitely not a good choice for sedans. It’s important to always check for features before purchasing any cover. Also, there have been some complaints that the cover cracks easily especially when used outdoors. This is in areas that experience harsh weather conditions.
Best Value Waterproof Car Cover: Kayme Car Cover for Automobiles
The Kayme Car Cover has a layer of polyester that is durable and soft. It also keeps water out with a good water-repellent fabric, so your car should remain dry during harsh storms and heavy rains.
The aluminum layer shields your car’s exterior, as well as the interior, against harmful UV rays. When buying a new vehicle, it is important that the paint job is protected as much as possible. This prevents unnecessary visits to the body shop every now and then. Cars are among our most valuable items, which means we have to take extra measures to ensure that they serve us well.
The stitches might be a bit flimsy and you need to be cautious when installing the cover. This is especially along with the straps. The side pockets don’t align well on some vehicles, such as an older chevy model. Definitely not a one-size-fits-all type of cover.
Best Waterproof Car Cover Honorable Mention: Leader Accessories Waterproof Cover
The car cover from Leader Accessories is a good choice for outdoor use. Its breathable material prevents mold and mildew, which ensures that the paint job is kept in good condition. This cover actively repels water and protects the car’s body from harsh UV rays. With sizes from 157 to 200 inches in length, you can get the perfect fit for a wide range of vehicles. Its weight of only 2.5 pounds makes it very easy to carry around.
Besides the cover being 100-percent dustproof, the straps at the bottom also make it windproof, hence protecting your car cover from strong winds. The good thing with this cover is that it costs way less, yet you get all-season protection.
There are no reinforcement patches for the antennae on this particular cover; you might have to cut out the antenna hole yourself. The material is also thinner which makes the car’s exterior prone to scratches during strong rains. The elastic doesn’t last long compared to other covers that cost 2-3 times more.
Tips & Advice for Waterproof Car Covers
- Make sure you get the correct size when buying your car cover. Many buyers often estimate their car’s measurements, then end up disappointed when the cover is too big or too small. Also, when buying a new car cover, have in mind the year/make/model of your car, as some websites have readily-saved dimensions for a variety of cars.
- Get a cover that has fit-in straps. Straps make the cover windproof, safeguarding it from being blown away by strong winds. Also, there’s added protection against dust and rain. A car cover that easily budges during storms isn't the perfect choice.
- Buying a breathable cover protects against mold or mildew buildup. Breathable car covers prevent moisture from being trapped underneath the covers. This, again, ensures that the paint job is not affected.
Q. Is there a correct way to install a car cover?
A. Make sure to always cover the front all the way to the rear bumpers. When it comes to covers with mirror pockets, be sure to place the pockets over the mirrors first. On some older car models, you might find it a bit difficult to install the cover if you start with the front part or the rear bumper.
Q. How often should I wash my cover?
A. Vehicle covers should be washed depending on how often you use it. Be sure to check for the instructions when the washing.
Q. Are all water covers universal?
A. Not all covers are universal. When a cover is considered universal, it means that it can be used on a number of vehicles as long as the length, width and height of the body are almost similar. Some covers are custom-made for specific vehicles and cannot be used on other models.
Q. Can I use a cover for long term storage?
A. If you intend to cover your car for a period of over two months, be sure to get one that has straps. The straps safeguard the cover from being blown away. Also be sure not to cover your vehicle for a long period in areas where the weather is very damp. It is important that you remove the covers every so often to let in some air.
Q. Will the Car Cover Scratch my Car?
A. This depends on the type of cover you get. Some covers come fitted with a cotton-like layer underneath which ensures that the paint job is not damaged, and protects the exterior of the vehicle.
Q. Will my car’s aerial interfere with the cover?
A. Car aerials are normally detachable hence this is not a big issue. Most covers come with instructions on how to deal with antennas and other car accessories.
Our top pick for the best waterproof car cover is the OxGord Signature Car Cover. It provides maximum protection against harsh UV rays and actively repels water while also being a great fit for larger vehicles.
If you’re on a budget, the Kayme Car Cover for Automobiles has proven to be a great rainproof car cover. It includes an aluminum stripe that stands out and offers increased visibility, especially in the dark.
Leave a comment below on what you think would be the best cover for you.
- RELATEDBest Windshield Covers: Guard Your Car From Snow and DebrisMake sure you have a windshield cover with you to protect your windshield from the elementsREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Car Scratch Removers: Our Top Picks to Cover BlemishesCorrect your paint with our top picks for the best car scratch removersREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Side Mirror Covers for Cars: Protect Your Mirrors with These Top PicksEasily replace or customize your side mirrors with these durable coversREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Spare Tire Covers: Our Top Picks for Clean SparesKeep your spare tire in tip-top shape with a good tire coverREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Motorcycle Covers: Top Picks for Outdoor Motorcycle StorageProtect your bike in the garage and outside with these top motorcycle coversREAD NOW