Best Waterproof Car Covers: Protect Your Car Paint
Keep your vehicle dry when it’s parked outside with a waterproof car cover.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you don't have a home garage, a portable garage, or any sort of overhead protection for your vehicle, then having a waterproof cover for your car could help keep your asset in pristine condition for a longer period. Leaving your vehicle outside exposes the paintwork to the effects of rainwater, and especially acid rain. Rainwater contaminates your paintwork by leaving watermarks. Watermarks are not only unsightly but can also be tough to get rid of.
When your vehicle is outdoors, it's exposed to dust, dirt, bird droppings, sun damage, and more, so getting a car cover is imperative to giving your vehicle the best level of protection. To save you the cost of re-waxing, polishing, or repainting your paintwork, we will guide you through getting the best waterproof car covers.
Ultimate Shield Car Cover
This cover features a heavy-duty multilayer construction that makes it great for indoor and outdoor use. It’s also designed to offer all-season protection.
- Multilayer construction is nearly impenetrable
- Helps prevent water and heat damage
- Features a durable construction that resists rot and mildew
- Backed with a 10-year limited warranty
- May be blown off by strong winds
- On the expensive side
Audew 6-Layer Car Cover
All-season protection that wins Best Value because of its versatility. It fits sedans and SUVs, ranging from 175 to over 200 inches in length.
- Semi-custom design fits snugly over side mirrors and fin-shaped radio antennas
- Breathable material naturally resists rot and mildew
- Backed with a five-year limited warranty
- Can’t withstand strong winds
- May need modifications to accommodate a wire antenna
Platinum Shield Car Cover
This cover offers all-rounded protection against dirt and weather elements. It’s made of durable synthetic material that resists rot, mold, and mildew. The cover is available in two universal sizes.
- Lightweight enough for easy installation
- Features a soft fleece liner that protects your bodywork from scratches
- Keeps your vehicle cool on hot days
- Provides a snug fit
- Needs more reinforcement to protect it from strong winds
- Somewhat expensive
Why Buy a Waterproof Car Cover?
- Protect your vehicle from strong UV rays. Strong UV rays can really destroy your car’s paint job. To prevent this, you need a good quality car cover. Taking your car to the shop for a new paint job can be quite expensive. If you get a good car cover, this is an expense that you’ll certainly be able to avoid.
- Combat harsh weather conditions. Severe storms can occur anywhere. Hail, rain, heavy winds, tornados, ice storms, and heavy snow can all lead to paint damage. Getting a rainproof car cover will safeguard your car from rusting.
- Keep your vehicle clean. Car covers protect your car from dust, debris, water, and bird bombs, and also ensure that you don’t waste money going to get it cleaned every so often.
- Keep thieves away from your vehicle. A car cover can go a long way in deterring thieves from targeting your vehicle. If you add a lock to the cover, it will be even harder to steal since it will take a longer time to get to your car.
- Prevent minor cosmetic damages. Covering your vehicle can help protect it from scratches, dents, and dings from falling tree branches or other forms of flying debris.
Types of Waterproof Car Covers
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Universal car covers are cheap but don’t fit properly on the vehicle. Although not the best car covers for outdoor storage or indoor storage, they can be quite useful when it comes to protecting your vehicle from harsh UV rays.
Semi-Custom Fit Covers
These definitely provide customers with value for their money. Being a much better option than the universal covers, they are designed to fit the length, height, and width of most vehicles.
As the name suggests, they are designed to fit your vehicle perfectly. They also have mirror pockets as well as antenna provisions.
Leader Accessories is a well-to-do brand that has been around for over 30 years. This trusted manufacturer designs and sells outdoor products, with one of its best offerings being car covers that provide maximum protection to your vehicle. Leader Accessories offers a wide selection of waterproof car covers with its universal fit car cover being among the most popular.
OxGord Car Covers
OxGord is a company that has been in business since 1987. As a world-renowned manufacturer of high-quality auto parts, its waterproof car covers ensure maximum protection from intense weather conditions as well as other environmental elements that may affect your vehicle’s bodywork. Its Signature Waterproof Car Cover is without a doubt one of the best waterproof car covers in the market.
Kayme All Weather
Kayme is a brand that is quite popular in the car accessories spot. The company has been around for over 18 years, during which it has developed great-quality covers for a wide range of vehicles. The aluminum stripes present in all its covers is a unique feature that you probably won’t find from other manufacturers. The stripes aid in improving visibility to other drivers and protecting your paint job from the sun’s harmful UV rays. The Kayme car cover for automobiles is definitely one of its bestselling products.
- Under $30: There are a number of waterproof car covers that fall in this category. You might, however, have to contend with the fact that the type of material used isn’t as effective as those that are a bit pricier.
- $31 to $40: You can find quite a number of good, quality covers within this price range. This price range includes all waterproof and dust-resistant covers for your SUV, sedan, and almost every other type.
- $41 to $50: At this range, you can get covers with up to seven layers of protection that offer a snug fit for your vehicle.. These covers are perfect for outdoor use.
- $50 and up: It might seem too pricey, but for the best waterproof car cover, this is the range to consider. These covers are made from great materials with more than enough layers of protection.
The main reason for purchasing a car cover is to safeguard your paint job against harmful weather conditions. The cover’s material should be strong and sturdy to provide maximum protection from rain, hail, snow, and strong winds.
You want a cover that fits snugly on your vehicle so it doesn't get blown away even by mild winds. We recommend buying covers that are specifically designed for your vehicle's year, make and model. Alternatively, you can measure your vehicle's dimensions and get a universal cover that meets the specification.
- Breathability. This allows the free flow of air, which in turn reduces condensation. Little or no condensation ensures that the car doesn’t rust, especially if it’s not in use for a long time. A car cover that uses good-quality, breathable fabric will help keep moisture that’s outside out and expel any moisture that’s underneath.
- Soft Interior. A soft interior makes sure that your vehicle is touched with care and doesn’t leave any scratches or dings on the paint job. Nothing is as annoying as getting a cover to prevent any damage and then ending up with unforeseen paint destruction.
- Securing Mechanism. Be sure to get a cover that can be secured to your vehicle so it doesn't fall off after you've installed it. Besides an elastic hem, ensure the cover has metal grommets so you can add tie straps or cables that secure under the vehicle.
Best Waterproof Car Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Ultimate Shield Cover features an almost impenetrable five-layer construction with a soft fleece lining to help protect your vehicle's finish and prevent cosmetic damages. One of the materials used is an oil-based multi-layer polypropylene with a micro-porous film sandwiched between the layers to improve breathability. This helps to prevent rot or mildew from attacking the material. For all-weather protection, the material is UV-treated and also includes a coating that repels water. The seams are also ultrasonically welded to help keep water out. An elastic hem at the front and rear offer a snug fit, and there's a label sewn into the front to help you install it the right way on your first try.
While it may be a heavy-duty cover, it's only designed to hold up to mild winds. As a result, you need to purchase extra straps to secure it during the windier times of the year.
The cover's layers include a non-woven and reflective protective coating, a UV-resistant aluminum film that's sandwiched between two layers of waterproof and dustproof polyethylene, a waterproof EVA layer, and finally, a soft cotton inner lining to protect your paintwork. It offers all-season protection by effectively keeping out water, snow, dust and preventing heat damage. Five reflective stripes at the front, middle, and rear help improve your vehicle's visibility at night. The cover is available in two universal sizes: one that can fit sedans ranging from 175 to 192 inches in length and a larger size that can fit SUVs measuring 190 to 201 inches in length.
Despite having tie-down straps, users claim it can still be blown off by strong winds. Therefore, consider having your vehicle indoors when it's extremely windy or purchasing extra straps.
This cover is made of woven polyester fabric that’s layered with a reflective urethane coating to help reflect sun rays and keep water out—rain droplets bead on the surface and roll to the ground. The material is also breathable, so it resists rot, mold, and mildew. On top of all-weather protection, the cover helps to keep your car clean by protecting it from dust, dirt, tree sap, bird droppings, and other harmful pollutants. Installing it is a one-man’s job as it only weighs 10 pounds. An ultra-soft fleece liner ensures that you don’t scratch your vehicle’s paintwork. For a snug fit, it’s fitted with an elastic front and rear hem and also comes with an anti-theft cable and lock.
However, just like the other covers from CarCovers.Com, this won’t be able to hold up to strong winds. Also, it’s a bit more expensive in comparison to the alternatives.
This car cover from Kayme comes in a variety of different sizes to fit both small and large vehicles. It's made of heavy-duty PE and EVA material that is 100 percent waterproof. The cover blocks UV rays and has a zipper on the driver's side for easy access. It also includes reflective stripes, mirror pockets, and straps on the front and rear to keep it in place during windy conditions. The material is thick and strong, yet soft enough on the inside so it won't scratch the finish. It takes about a minute or two to put it on your vehicle, and the elastic at the bottom and around the cover keeps it in place. It also has eyelets on the passenger and driver's side, so you can use a bungee cord or a few feet of rope and tie it between them for extra support.
However, when installing or removing the cover, the clip fasteners can drop or drag across the car paint if you're not careful. Also, the clips themselves aren't the best quality, and you have to be extra careful to order the proper size for a correct fit.
This cover is designed for sedans measuring 185 inches long by 70 inches wide by 60 inches high. It has a silver reflective color to block UV rays and reflective stripes for night visibility. The cover is made of high-density polyester and is waterproof, windproof, and scratch-proof. It has an elasticized hem, hooks, and several straps to prevent it from blowing away in heavy wind. The fabric is thin and light, yet durable and breathable, with strong elastic corners that are built to last. The cover is very easy to put on and includes pieces for the side mirrors as well as a storage pouch. It's simple to manage and provides perfect protection against tree sap, sun, etc., and dirt does not penetrate.
One problem with this cover is it may blow off your vehicle if you don't tie it down to the wheels and the body. Also, it's almost impossible to fold it up to put it back into the storage bag, and the straps can tear off or fail after a short period of use.
This waterproof car cover sports a multi-layer construction made of propylene and is infused with a layer of microporous film between the layers to promote breathability. Therefore, the fabric remains resistant to rot and mildew for longer. Plus, it includes a non-abrasive lining, so it slips on with minimal resistance and doesn't scratch the paintwork. The material is UV-treated and is also highly resistant to water. The seams are reinforced through a process of ultrasonic welding to prevent water penetration further. The cover weighs only seven pounds and comes with the front side labeled for quick and easy installation.
As for the drawbacks, this cover cannot hold up to strong winds unless you install extra straps to secure it firmly to your vehicle. Also, it doesn't come with a hole for a wire antenna, but you can purchase an antenna patch kit and include one.
The OxGord Signature Car Cover is among the best car covers on the market. It is designed with a five-layer, heavy-duty waterproof cover and three layers of polypropylene. This means that the cover offers superior protection from rain, bird droppings, and other sturdy weather conditions. With a breathable film, there’s no condensation, which prevents the buildup of mold or mildew. On top of that, its reinforced seams ensure the cover will stay put during strong winds and prevent any damage to the car’s body. Its soft cotton fabric prevents any unexpected scratches on the paint job. An elastic hem also ensures that the cover fits snug on the vehicle.
This cover however might be too large for some vehicles. Definitely not a good choice for sedans. It’s important to always check for features before purchasing any cover. Also, there have been some complaints that the cover cracks easily especially when used outdoors. This is in areas that experience harsh weather conditions.
The Kayme Car Cover has a layer of polyester that is durable and soft. It also keeps water out with a good water-repellent fabric, so your car should remain dry during harsh storms and heavy rains. The aluminum layer shields your car’s exterior, as well as the interior, against harmful UV rays. When buying a new vehicle, the paint job must be protected as much as possible. This prevents unnecessary visits to the body shop now and then. Cars are among our most valuable items, which means we have to take extra measures to ensure that they serve us well.
The stitches might be a bit flimsy and you need to be cautious when installing the cover. This is especially the case along the straps. The side pockets don’t align well on some vehicles, such as an older Chevy model. It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all type of cover.
The car cover from Leader Accessories is a good choice for outdoor use. Its breathable material prevents mold and mildew, which ensures that the paint job is kept in good condition. This cover actively repels water and protects the car’s body from harsh UV rays. With sizes from 157 to 200 inches in length, you can get the perfect fit for a wide range of vehicles. Its weight of only 2.5 pounds makes it very easy to carry around. Besides the cover being 100 percent dustproof, the straps at the bottom also make it windproof, hence protecting your car cover from strong winds. The good thing with this cover is that it costs way less, yet you get all-season protection.
There are no reinforcement patches for the antennae on this particular cover; you might have to cut out the antenna hole yourself. The material is also thinner which makes the car’s exterior prone to scratches during strong rains. The elastic doesn’t last long compared to other covers that cost 2-3 times more.
Motor Trend’s cover wards against dirt, dust, rain, UV rays, and bird droppings. This 100 percent waterproof and windproof cover has a storage bag, as well as a lock to protect your vehicle from thieves. The fabric is made of breathable woven polyester and features a scratch-proof lining. This cover is well-made and stays on your vehicle in windy conditions. It keeps your car dry in the pouring rain, and it's very easy to put on. It costs a lot less than custom-made covers, and it looks and feels like it's good quality. The inside is also quite soft, so it won't damage your vehicle. Overall, it’s lightweight enough to handle but tough enough to do the job.
However, the locking cable can be a little tricky to use, and you must measure your car so you order the correct size. There have been some complaints that it fits a little too snugly on some vehicles and can blow off if the lock is not properly secured.
Tips & Advice for Waterproof Car Covers
- Make sure you get the correct size when buying your car cover. Many buyers often estimate their car’s measurements, then end up disappointed when the cover is too big or too small. Also, when buying a new car cover, have in mind the year/make/model of your car, as some websites have readily-saved dimensions for a variety of cars.
- Get a cover that has fit-in straps. Straps make the cover windproof, safeguarding it from being blown away by strong winds. Also, there’s added protection against dust and rain. A car cover that easily budges during storms isn't the perfect choice.
- Buying a breathable cover protects against mold or mildew buildup. Breathable car covers prevent moisture from being trapped underneath the covers. This, again, ensures that the paint job is not affected.
- Before covering your car, be sure to clean it and, if possible, use car wax to add another layer of protection for your paintwork.
Q: Should a car cover be left on in the rain?
If you have a waterproof cover, then leaving it on when it’s raining can help keep your vehicle dry. Also, there’s no need to remove the cover after the rain stops since any moisture sitting on the cover will evaporate when it gets warmer.
Q: Do car covers damage your car?
A car cover with a soft inner fleece lining won’t do any damage to your vehicle’s bodywork when installed and removed correctly. However, metal grommets on the hem can scratch the paintwork, so keep this in mind when securing the cover on the vehicle.
Q: Can I cover my vehicle with a tarp?
While atarpcan protect your vehicle from the elements, most do not fit vehicles well. It may end up being blown off even by a mild gust of wind. Instead, use a car cover for a snug fit and full protection of your vehicle.
Q. Are all water covers universal?
Not all covers are universal. When a cover is considered universal, it means that it can be used on several vehicles as long as the length, width, and height of the body are almost similar. Some covers are custom-made for specific vehicles and cannot be used on other models.
Q. Can I use a cover for long-term storage?
If you intend to cover your car for over two months, be sure to get a cover that has straps. The straps safeguard the cover from being blown away. Also, be sure not to cover your vehicle for a long period in areas where the weather is very damp. You must remove the covers every so often to let in some air.
Q. Will my car’s aerial interfere with the cover?
Car aerials are normally detachable hence this is not a big issue. Most covers come with instructions on how to deal with antennas and other car accessories.
We went with the Ultimate Shield Car Cover as our top pick for the five layers of protection it offers, which not only repel water but also keep your vehicle well-protected from dirt and the elements. For a more affordable alternative, we recommend the Audew 6-Layer Car Cover. It’s just as good at repelling water and also helps keep your vehicle cool on sunny days.
MORE TO READ
These Motorcycle Covers Will Keep You Protected Come Rain, Shine, or Snow With
If you want your ride to take care of you, you’d better take care of it first.
Best Windshield Covers: Guard Your Car From Snow and Debris
Make sure you have a windshield cover with you to protect your windshield from the elements
These Car Scratch Removers Effectively Eliminate Small Defects and Blemishes
These products are top-notch at performing minor paint corrections.
Best Side Mirror Covers for Cars: Protect Your Mirrors with These Top Picks
Easily replace or customize your side mirrors with these durable covers