Best Waterproof Car Covers: Protect Your Car Paint
Keep your vehicle dry when it’s parked outside with a waterproof car cover.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Norah Tarichia / LAST UPDATED ON May 21, 2021
If you don't have a home garage, a portable garage, or any sort of overhead protection for your vehicle, then having a waterproof cover for your car could help keep your asset in pristine condition for a longer period. Leaving your vehicle outside exposes the paintwork to the effects of rainwater, and especially acid rain. Rainwater contaminates your paintwork by leaving watermarks. Watermarks are not only unsightly but can also be tough to get rid of.
When your vehicle is outdoors, it's exposed to dust, dirt, bird droppings, sun damage, and more, so getting a car cover is imperative to giving your vehicle the best level of protection. To save you the cost of re-waxing, polishing, or repainting your paintwork, we will guide you through getting the best waterproof car covers.
This cover features a heavy-duty multilayer construction that makes it great for indoor and outdoor use. It’s also designed to offer all-season protection.
- Multilayer construction is nearly impenetrable
- Helps prevent water and heat damage
- Features a durable construction that resists rot and mildew
- Backed with a 10-year limited warranty
- May be blown off by strong winds
- On the expensive side
All-season protection that wins Best Value because of its versatility. It fits sedans and SUVs, ranging from 175 to over 200 inches in length.
- Semi-custom design fits snugly over side mirrors and fin-shaped radio antennas
- Breathable material naturally resists rot and mildew
- Backed with a five-year limited warranty
- Can’t withstand strong winds
- May need modifications to accommodate a wire antenna
This cover offers all-rounded protection against dirt and weather elements. It’s made of durable synthetic material that resists rot, mold, and mildew. The cover is available in two universal sizes.
- Lightweight enough for easy installation
- Features a soft fleece liner that protects your bodywork from scratches
- Keeps your vehicle cool on hot days
- Provides a snug fit
- Needs more reinforcement to protect it from strong winds
- Somewhat expensive
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy a Waterproof Car Cover?
- Protect your vehicle from strong UV rays. Strong UV rays can really destroy your car’s paint job. To prevent this, you need a good quality car cover. Taking your car to the shop for a new paint job can be quite expensive. If you get a good car cover, this is an expense that you’ll certainly be able to avoid.
- Combat harsh weather conditions. Severe storms can occur anywhere. Hail, rain, heavy winds, tornados, ice storms, and heavy snow can all lead to paint damage. Getting a rainproof car cover will safeguard your car from rusting.
- Keep your vehicle clean. Car covers protect your car from dust, debris, water, and bird bombs, and also ensure that you don’t waste money going to get it cleaned every so often.
- Keep thieves away from your vehicle. A car cover can go a long way in deterring thieves from targeting your vehicle. If you add a lock to the cover, it will be even harder to steal since it will take a longer time to get to your car.
- Prevent minor cosmetic damages. Covering your vehicle can help protect it from scratches, dents, and dings from falling tree branches or other forms of flying debris.
Types of Waterproof Car Covers
Universal car covers are cheap but don’t fit properly on the vehicle. Although not the best car covers for outdoor storage or indoor storage, they can be quite useful when it comes to protecting your vehicle from harsh UV rays.
Semi-Custom Fit Covers
These definitely provide customers with value for their money. Being a much better option than the universal covers, they are designed to fit the length, height, and width of most vehicles.
As the name suggests, they are designed to fit your vehicle perfectly. They also have mirror pockets as well as antenna provisions.
Leader Accessories is a well-to-do brand that has been around for over 30 years. This trusted manufacturer designs and sells outdoor products, with one of its best offerings being car covers that provide maximum protection to your vehicle. Leader Accessories offers a wide selection of waterproof car covers with its universal fit car cover being among the most popular.
OxGord Car Covers
OxGord is a company that has been in business since 1987. As a world-renowned manufacturer of high-quality auto parts, its waterproof car covers ensure maximum protection from intense weather conditions as well as other environmental elements that may affect your vehicle’s bodywork. Its Signature Waterproof Car Cover is without a doubt one of the best waterproof car covers in the market.
Kayme All Weather
Kayme is a brand that is quite popular in the car accessories spot. The company has been around for over 18 years, during which it has developed great-quality covers for a wide range of vehicles. The aluminum stripes present in all its covers is a unique feature that you probably won’t find from other manufacturers. The stripes aid in improving visibility to other drivers and protecting your paint job from the sun’s harmful UV rays. The Kayme car cover for automobiles is definitely one of its bestselling products.
- Under $30: There are a number of waterproof car covers that fall in this category. You might, however, have to contend with the fact that the type of material used isn’t as effective as those that are a bit pricier.
- $31 to $40: You can find quite a number of good, quality covers within this price range. This price range includes all waterproof and dust-resistant covers for your SUV, sedan, and almost every other type.
- $41 to $50: At this range, you can get covers with up to seven layers of protection that offer a snug fit for your vehicle.. These covers are perfect for outdoor use.
- $50 and up: It might seem too pricey, but for the best waterproof car cover, this is the range to consider. These covers are made from great materials with more than enough layers of protection.
The main reason for purchasing a car cover is to safeguard your paint job against harmful weather conditions. The cover’s material should be strong and sturdy to provide maximum protection from rain, hail, snow, and strong winds.
You want a cover that fits snugly on your vehicle so it doesn't get blown away even by mild winds. We recommend buying covers that are specifically designed for your vehicle's year, make and model. Alternatively, you can measure your vehicle's dimensions and get a universal cover that meets the specification.
- Breathability. This allows the free flow of air, which in turn reduces condensation. Little or no condensation ensures that the car doesn’t rust, especially if it’s not in use for a long time. A car cover that uses good-quality, breathable fabric will help keep moisture that’s outside out and expel any moisture that’s underneath.
- Soft Interior. A soft interior makes sure that your vehicle is touched with care and doesn’t leave any scratches or dings on the paint job. Nothing is as annoying as getting a cover to prevent any damage and then ending up with unforeseen paint destruction.
- Securing Mechanism. Be sure to get a cover that can be secured to your vehicle so it doesn't fall off after you've installed it. Besides an elastic hem, ensure the cover has metal grommets so you can add tie straps or cables that secure under the vehicle.
Best Waterproof Car Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Tips & Advice for Waterproof Car Covers
- Make sure you get the correct size when buying your car cover. Many buyers often estimate their car’s measurements, then end up disappointed when the cover is too big or too small. Also, when buying a new car cover, have in mind the year/make/model of your car, as some websites have readily-saved dimensions for a variety of cars.
- Get a cover that has fit-in straps. Straps make the cover windproof, safeguarding it from being blown away by strong winds. Also, there’s added protection against dust and rain. A car cover that easily budges during storms isn't the perfect choice.
- Buying a breathable cover protects against mold or mildew buildup. Breathable car covers prevent moisture from being trapped underneath the covers. This, again, ensures that the paint job is not affected.
- Before covering your car, be sure to clean it and, if possible, use car wax to add another layer of protection for your paintwork.
Q: Should a car cover be left on in the rain?
If you have a waterproof cover, then leaving it on when it’s raining can help keep your vehicle dry. Also, there’s no need to remove the cover after the rain stops since any moisture sitting on the cover will evaporate when it gets warmer.
Q: Do car covers damage your car?
A car cover with a soft inner fleece lining won’t do any damage to your vehicle’s bodywork when installed and removed correctly. However, metal grommets on the hem can scratch the paintwork, so keep this in mind when securing the cover on the vehicle.
Q: Can I cover my vehicle with a tarp?
While a tarp can protect your vehicle from the elements, most do not fit vehicles well. It may end up being blown off even by a mild gust of wind. Instead, use a car cover for a snug fit and full protection of your vehicle.
Q. Are all water covers universal?
Not all covers are universal. When a cover is considered universal, it means that it can be used on several vehicles as long as the length, width, and height of the body are almost similar. Some covers are custom-made for specific vehicles and cannot be used on other models.
Q. Can I use a cover for long-term storage?
If you intend to cover your car for over two months, be sure to get a cover that has straps. The straps safeguard the cover from being blown away. Also, be sure not to cover your vehicle for a long period in areas where the weather is very damp. You must remove the covers every so often to let in some air.
Q. Will my car’s aerial interfere with the cover?
Car aerials are normally detachable hence this is not a big issue. Most covers come with instructions on how to deal with antennas and other car accessories.
We went with the Ultimate Shield Car Cover as our top pick for the five layers of protection it offers, which not only repel water but also keep your vehicle well-protected from dirt and the elements. For a more affordable alternative, we recommend the Audew 6-Layer Car Cover. It’s just as good at repelling water and also helps keep your vehicle cool on sunny days.