Best Car Seats: Keep Your Child Safe and Secure
Travel with the whole family with these comfortable and safe car seats
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 13, 2019
If you’re a parent and plan on taking your child somewhere in your vehicle, you will need a car seat to protect them. With so many available, choosing the best and right one for your kid can be a hassle. So, we’ve compiled a list of some of the safest car seats to consider if you aren’t sure which one to choose.
- Best OverallGraco 4Ever DLX Car SeatSummarySummaryThe seat comes with four unique safety variations: forward-facing, rear-facing, high back belt-positioning booster, and a backless belt-positioning booster. Plus, it has six different comfort settings.ProsProsIt’s simple to adjust to your child’s size. The material is also easy to clean and can be thrown in the washing machine.ConsConsThe material may not be the strongest and may be prone to showing scuffs and scrapes. Installing it may be a pain as well.
- Best ValueEvenflo Chase Harnessed Booster Car SeatSummarySummaryThis versatile car seat comes with two functions, harnessed and belt-positioning, to offer more convenience and comfort. It’s easy to install with its included latch system and is not very expensive compared to other seats.ProsProsThe chair features built-in cup holders and is thin enough to fit multiple car seats in the vehicle. The seat is also rather light, weighing only 11 pounds.ConsConsThe padding may not be as thick as other, more expensive car seats. The buckles can be difficult to lockdown.
- Honorable MentionBaby Trend Expedition Jogger Travel SystemSummarySummaryThis doubles as a jogging chair and car seat for convenience and versatility.ProsProsThe included five-point safety harness is easy to adjust. The chair includes EPS energy-absorbing foam for added comfort. Plus, the material is removable and machine washable.ConsConsThe fabric quality is lacking when compared to higher-priced car seats, and the overall design isn’t as durable.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
- Make sure that the seat’s shoulder straps are at or just below the child’s shoulders. They should fit snugly without any slack so your child is safe and secure.
- Consider a seat that comes with a built-in carrying handle. It should be adjustable, so you can lower it while in the car and raise it up in place when you need to cart away the car seat.
- If you have multiple cars and don’t want to uninstall and install the car seat each time you switch vehicles, you should consider buying several bases. Car seats each come with a base that can detach from the chair, so having several can make it easier on you and your back.
Q: How do I know what car seat is best for my child?
A: All car seats come with guidelines to show you a weight and age limit for the specific model. Experts suggest infants and toddlers ride in rear-facing car seats until they are two years old or outgrow the weight and height limits of the seat.
Q: Do car seats have an expiration date?
A: Most, if not all, car seats have an expiration date listed somewhere on the car seat. In general, car seats can last up to six years before they expire. This can mean, for example, that the material has lost its durability and is deemed too dangerous for use.
Q: Is it safe to use pre-owned car seats?
A: Parents should always buy brand-new car seats if possible. They are in the best possible condition and offer the most up-to-date safety features.
For one of the best and safest car seats for your child, consider the Graco 4Ever DLX Car Seat for its comfort and various features.
The Evenflo Chase Harnessed Booster Car Seat is a cheaper option and lighter chair to lug around.