LAST UPDATED: December 4, 2020
The Best Trucker Hats (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Hide from the sun in style whenever you hit the road.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON December 4, 2020
Some things are iconic when it comes to long-haul truck driving, not the least of which is the famed trucker hat. Especially considering the long stretches on the road, protection from sun and sweat is essential. Trucker hats are large, usually rising significantly above the wearer’s head. The lid protrudes noticeably and covers a wide area. This provides the driver with optimal sun protection.
Another key feature is the breathable mesh back. High-quality trucker hats are lightweight and provide optimal airflow. The cap should be adjustable and sturdy enough to last. When looking for a trucker hat, you want to look at the overall style and price. Of course, there are many different options in terms of both style and utility, and there are plenty of top contenders for the best trucker hat.
This hat is made of 100 percent cotton and has a mesh back with an adjustable plastic snapback. It also has the image of an animal embroidered at the front.
- Designed to fit any head size
- Features a cotton sweatband that helps to retain the shape of the hat
- Great for airing out sweaty heads
- Available in seven different colors so you can diversify your choice
- Animal patch may not appeal to everyone
- Might come with a crooked logo. Might feel tight on a large head
This hat has a simple design that’s made of polyfoam material. The bill has a contrasting color to the front panel to create a more fashionable look.
- Affordable and available in a variety of colors
- The front panel can be customized with embroidery or printing of your choice
- Fits small, medium, and large heads because of the adjustable snap closure at the back
- The sizes run small
- Polyfoam isn’t as good at managing moisture as cotton is
- Might ship with a crease on the bill.
This is a woman’s hat that’s made of a combination of polyester and cotton. It also has an adjustable back tab so that it can fit different head shapes.
- The fabric combination helps to keep your head cool and dry
- It has a low profile that gives it a fashionable look
- The mesh back provides excellent breathability
- Fits most standard head sizes
- The sizes run small, and there are limited designs to choose from
- Machine washing can damage the fabric
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Trucker Hats
- Protection from the sun. Trucker hats have a straight or curved bill that helps prevent direct sun rays from hitting your face. The bill is typically about three to five inches wide for maximum sun protection.
- Fashionable. A well-chosen trucker hat is a great way of accessorizing your look. Since brands have come up with creative designs to enhance the classic trucker’s hat, it’s possible to find one that will allow you to show a bit of your personality.
- Business promotion. Trucker hats are also known as “gimme hats” because they are often given to the public for free as a way of promoting a business or brand. The front panel can be customized with a business logo or any other design to create brand awareness.
- Adjustable. Most trucker hats have a plastic snap closure or Velcro enclosure, which you can adjust to ensure a good fit. While they do sit taller on your head than a standard baseball cap, they still feel comfortable.
Types of Trucker Hats
A structured trucker hat has a stiff front panel supported with thick layers of fabric so that the cap can hold its shape when placed on a flat surface. The back still has the typical mesh design, and it may come with a button at the top. It can make you look taller, but it feels somewhat uncomfortable when new because of the stiff design.
An unstructured hat has a front panel made of thin fabric so that both the front and mesh panel “flops” are placed on a table. While such a design may not be long-lasting, it feels comfortable and can conform to the shape of your head. It’s also easier to clean.
From its headquarters in Michigan, Carhartt designs some of the best work apparel and outdoor gear, which are favorites of most construction workers, farmers, and outdoorsmen. It was founded by Hamilton Carhartt way in 1889. Some of its best trucker hats include the Men’s Rugged Professional Cap and the Men’s Silvermine Cap.
Billabong is an Australian retailer of apparel, accessories, and sporting goods. It was founded in 1973 by Gordon and Rena Merchant and is currently a subsidiary brand of Boardrider Inc. Besides designing trucker hats, it also designs backpacks, snow apparel, hoodies, and sweatshirts.
Goorin Bros is a family-owned business with more than 120 years of experience designing hats such as baseball caps, fedoras, beanies, and flat caps. It’s headquartered in California and has retail shops in Georgia, Nevada, Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Texas. Check out the Men’s Animal Farm Trucker Hat if you are looking for a high-quality trucker hat to complement your style.
The North Face
The North Face has more than 50 years of experience in manufacturing sports apparel and outdoor gear. It’s a subsidiary brand of VF Corporation and has its headquarters in California. Its product line includes vests, jackets, hoodies, backpacks, and hats. If you want to try out one of its trucker hats, check out the Unisex Mudder Trucker Hat.
Trucker Hat Pricing
- Under $20: This lower price range includes trucker hats with simple designs, including a curved bill, a low profile front panel, and a breathable mesh back. Most have plain front panels and come in a variety of colors. Also, most are comfortable so that you can wear them all day.
- $20 and up: The trucker hats within this price range come with more fashionable styles and are designed with long-wearing material such as cotton and nylon blends. Most have high-profile front panels that are designed with brand logos. You can also expect diverse bill designs, including a straight or partially curved bill.
When looking at the material making a trucker hat, it’s important to ensure that it’s long-lasting and can keep your head somewhat cool and dry. Cotton, polyester, and nylon are some of the best materials for making a hat; cotton helps to absorb moisture on your forehead, and the polyester or nylon mesh back keeps your head cool so that your hair doesn’t get damp and sticky from sweat. Wool is also a great fabric for making longer-lasting hats.
Trucker hats are also classified as fitted, flex-fit, and adjustable fits. They may come in small, medium, or large sizes. A fitted hat is not adjustable, so you have to get the correct size for your head—it’s mostly worn for fashion. A flex-fit hat has an elastic band at the back that stretches to accommodate the shape of your head. Lastly, an adjustable-fit hat has an adjustable Velcro closure, a metal buckle strap, or a plastic snap closure at the back with a small opening where a ponytail can be pulled through.
- Comfort. Above all else, it’s essential to ensure that the hat is comfortable, especially if you will be wearing it frequently. The last thing you want is a hat that grazes your forehead, a velcro strap that scratches the back of your head, or an uncomfortable tag that you have to cut off.
- Sweatband. Choose trucker hats that come with a moisture-absorbing sweatband that keeps the sweat from trickling down to your face.
Best Trucker Hats Reviews & Recommendations 2021
Comfortable and stylish, the Goorin Bros. Men’s Animal Farm Trucker Hat is a popular option. By design, the hats celebrate animals. You can choose from 17 different styles, ranging from an eagle to a horse. The hat is made entirely out of cotton, so it's breathable and cozy to wear for long periods. The back is formed of the iconic trucker hat mesh and adjusts with snaps. This lets you find the optimal fit for your head.
With a one-size-fits-all design, this hat works well on most head shapes. It’s made with fine stitching and sturdy materials, so you get lasting wear. Easy to maintain by hand washing and air drying, this trucker cap is built to withstand the elements. It’s stylish and practical in the true spirit of a trucker hat.
If you want to balance femininity with utility, check out the Billabong Women’s California Love Trucker Hat. There are four different hat options, each featuring uniquely colored mesh and caps—choose from blue, green, gray, and pink. The hats feature a decorated front panel as an homage to California. The hat is sturdy, made with a polyester, and cotton blend. Closing with a snap at the back, you can choose the ideal fit for your head. The mesh lets your hair breathe, while the front protects from the sun and wind.
The hat is highly durable and easy to maintain. Handwashing ensures that the stitching remains intact for the long term. By air drying the hat, you can be sure it won’t shrink. This option is inherently feminine and stylish without forgoing the classic values of trucker hats.
If you want a hat that's built to last, check out the Carhartt Men’s Rugged Professional Cap. It looks like the classic trucker hat and is unencumbered by design. You can get the hat in muted tones, including black, blue, and beige. Each option features an adjustable design, closing with snaps at the back. The mesh material encourages airflow, while fine stitching prevents frays and tears. The hat is manufactured using a blend of natural and synthetic fabrics. Spandex inclusion adds durability through flexibility. The cotton fabric adds to breathability and comfort, while the polyester keeps the hat strong.
It’s quick to hand wash and dry the hat, and thanks to the textiles, it seldom needs cleaning. This trucker hat is both comfortable and sturdy and is meant to last for the long haul.
When you’re on the road for long treks, you want something comfortable. The Flexfit Trucker Mesh Fitted Cap is lightweight and breathes well. This prevents discomfort from perspiration since the open back whisks away moisture. The tightly woven polymer creates an adjustable fit while you wear it. Instead of closing with a snap mechanism, the relaxed fit slips right on. It incorporates a sweatband to prevent moisture from getting into your eyes.
With well-stitched panels and a sturdy design, this hat is lightweight without compromising quality. You can get these caps in 22 different color options, letting you pick your desired style. All the choices are made of blended polyester, cotton, and spandex to balance coziness and durability. Ideal for long drives, these hats are well ventilated and lightweight.
If you want to stock up on some quality trucker caps, check out Dalix Two-Tone Adjustable Trucker Hats. You can get these caps in a wide range of colors. Some have monochromatic paneling while others contrast two bright hues. The hats fit most head sizes and close via a snap at the back. This lets you adjust the shape and personalize the fit.
Inside the hat is a foam textile for added cushion and comfort. Though it creates plush wear, this doesn’t compromise the ventilation. With a mesh back, moisture wicks away quickly. The panels are carefully stitched to enhance performance. These trucker hats provide ideal sun protection with its thick yet flexible front. Stylish and available at a low price point, these caps offer a lot of value.
The Lindo Trucker Hat features a simple yet comfortable design, where the manufacturer ditches the typical brand name at the front panel for a more subtle palm tree embroidery. It not only looks great but also gives you a sense of ownership. The hats are available in a variety of colors, and the palm tree graphics is a contrasting color from the front panel so that it can stand out.
As for the construction, the hat is made of cotton and has a structured front panel with a slightly curved visor and a button at the top. Additionally, it includes a breathable mesh back that also comes in a contrasting color from the front panel. Lindo only makes one size, but you can adjust the plastic snap closure at the back to get a snug fit.
Truckers and outdoor enthusiasts can take advantage of the Columbia Men’s Snap Back Hat to keep their heads cool and comfortable in the summer. It looks more like a standard baseball cap from its low profile and a button at the top. At the front panel is Columbia's sportswear logo that gives it a somewhat sporty look. It also features a slightly curved bill, or otherwise known as a visor, that’s stylish and offers optimal shielding from the sun.
The hat is made from a blend of cotton and elastane, with cotton making up a great portion of the fabric to enhance comfort and its moisture-absorption capability. At the back is a mesh panel that’s breathable and designed to prevent heat buildup. Also included is an adjustable snap closure for a snug fit.
If you are looking for a long-lasting hat with a vintage look, we recommend the Oakley Men’s Chalten Cap. It has the classic high-profile front panel that’s typical with most trucker hats, a button at the top, and a breathable mesh back. The front panels come in about seven different colors, but the mesh back is plain black for all the options. Also, Oakley includes an embroidered logo at the bottom left of the front panel and a high-density logo at the visor, both of which are in contrasting colors to the background.
For maximum comfort and durability, the hat is made of a combination of acrylic and wool. What’s interesting is that while most trucker hats get damaged in the washing machine, this material can be safely machine-washed without shrinking or fading.
Whether you’re a trucker, outdoor enthusiast, or simply want to shield yourself from the sun, The North Face Unisex Trucker Hat works for almost every situation. This hat has a low profile that conforms to different head shapes, and that’s why it can be worn by both men and women. It is made of a textile front panel, breathable mesh back, and a curved visor for maximum sun protection.
The cap comes in several different colors, and you can get options with contrasting colors at the front panel, back, and visor. In addition, the front panel is decorated with embroidered eyelets and the signature The North Face logo. Though it can only be hand-washed, the material is long-lasting and features great workmanship that’s typical of a product from a high-end brand.
If you are looking for a casual looking trucker hat, you can check out Joe’s USA Koloa Trucker Caps. The hat has a six-panel design, which is structured so that the cap maintains its shape at all times. It’s made of a blend of polyester and cotton, with a spandex band that helps to slightly stretch out the hat to accommodate different head sizes.
To help keep your head cool, the front panel features two sewn eyelets and the back is made of breathable mesh. Also at the front panel is an embroidered logo, which is also included on the curved visor — it makes the hat more stylish. Lastly, the cap has a low profile and is available in multiple colors.
- To break in a trucker hat, wear it as frequently as possible so that it can conform to the shape of your head.
- Always handwash your trucker hat so that you can better clean the inner bands and lining with sweat and dirt deposits. You can use a toothbrush and a mild detergent. Machine washing can damage the stitching and seams.
- Allow the hat to air dry in an open environment to avoid unpleasant smells and keep mold at bay. When it’s dry, hang it in a well-ventilated room to maintain its fresh appeal.
- In case you get a stain on the thicker front panel or bill, spot cleaning works best to get rid of it and keep it from penetrating to the other side of the fabric. You can use a damp cloth with a mild detergent.
Why is it called a trucker hat?
A: Mostly because it was popular in the '70s among blue-collar workers, including truckers. The hats helped to keep their heads cool by shielding them from the sun.
Do trucker hats protect from the sun?
A: Yes, they do. They are designed with a curved or straight bill that protects your face from the sun, making it one of the best hats for blue-collar workers. They can also help to shield your face and head from the elements such as a heavy downpour.
Are truck hats in fashion this year?
A: Trucker hats have been in and out of fashion throughout the years. But, since fashion is subjective, you can always wear a trucker hat as long as it complements your overall appearance.
The Goorin Bros. Men’s Animal Farm Trucker Hat won our top spot because it’s made of comfortable and breathable material, which makes it great for keeping your head cool as you drive. You also get plenty of colors to choose from with different animal logos.
If you are looking for a more affordable trucker hat that you can customize with your logo, consider the Dalix Two-Tone Adjustable Trucker Hats.