Best 6×9 Speakers: Enjoy Crystal Clear Sound with Banging Bass Lines
Our top picks for the best 6x9 speakers for your car
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Let’s face it. The kind of music quality you get from your factory 6x9 speakers is never enough. What’s worse is listening to music with worn out or poor-quality speakers. It makes the entire audio experience unbearable, and for most drivers, they would rather turn off their car stereo altogether. If you are looking to enjoy a crystal-clear experience with banging bass lines, upgrading your car stereo with the best 6x9 speakers can be a worthy investment. Picking out a quality 6x9 speaker isn’t an easy task, so we’ve done the majority of the work for you in our handy guide below.
- Best OverallRockford Punch P1692SummarySummaryTwo-way 6x9 premium speakers with a unique cone and rubber surround to withstand long hours of high-volume music. Uses a new speaker setup technique to attach surround for fuller sound and stronger performance. Dome tweeter setup harmonizes the highs when the bass gets heavy.ProsProsEasy fit with no modifications required. Built-in equalization technology for crisp sound quality. Flex-fit basket for easy installation in complicated locations. Plenty of power output at 2 or 4 ohms.ConsConsProduces basic power, which affects its ability to produce punchy bass notes. Fitted grill protrudes from the dash. Installation is lengthy and might not be suitable for first-timers.
- Best ValueBoss Audio CH6930SummarySummaryThree-way 6x9 high-quality speakers with a stylish red and black cone. Lightweight construction to withstand high temperatures for optimum performance and extended music play. Features 60-ounce magnets for extra thump and maximum sound output.ProsProsEasy installation even for first-timers. Affordable with a robust build for decent performance and long life. Budget-friendly three-way speaker with an appealing design. Features a voice coil to withstand high temperatures while maintaining good quality sound.ConsConsDoes not produce as good bass tones compared to its close competitors. Could do better with a more robust frame material, as its cheap plastic frame affects resilience and durability.
- Honorable MentionJBL GTO939SummarySummaryThree-way 6x9 speakers designed as a hi-fi solution for superior in-cabin music experience. Unique cone design for quality low-frequency response. Dome and super tweeter setup offer a richer upper-frequency experience. Slightly lower impedance for maximum power output from your car stereo.ProsProsCompatible with any factory bracket. High-quality crossover components. Super tweeter with level control. 300-watts peak power speakers. Adjustable Mylar-titanium tweeter for a wider variance of sound modification and channel handling. Good construction speakers.ConsConsMounts deeper than most 6x9 speakers. Might require some modification to fit in some vehicles. Might not fit most 6x9 cutouts. Will require a high-pass filter for high volumes.
Benefits of 6x9 Speakers
- Set them up quickly. Getting superior quality sound often results in a complicated setup. These speakers have a simple and compact build. They are compatible with a wide range of vehicles, making them a favorite and safe choice for most vehicle owners.
- Choose between a variety of options. 6x9 speakers come in different types and styles. Their diversity offers vehicle owners with more choices over what to buy. Depending on whether you are looking to get a two-way or three-way system, these speakers will produce the type of frequency range you want.
- Enjoy a compact design. You can never have enough space in your vehicle, and big speakers are not practical anymore. 6x9 speakers are designed to fit in most car types and brands, and their compact nature makes them a perfect fit for any vehicle.
- Avoid extra costs on components. You won’t have to do a complete system upgrade with these speakers. They serve an all-in-one purpose, which helps avoid extra out-of-pocket expenses on parts that will take up extra vehicle space.
- Experience high-quality sound. There’s a reason 6x9 speakers are prevalent in the car enthusiast community: high-quality sound. 6x9 speakers have been specially designed to offer superior sound, and serve an all-in-one purpose.
Types of 6x9 Speakers
6x9 Single Speaker
These are good mid-range woofers with an additional bass system embedded. One drawback with the 6x9 speakers is that they produce high-level frequencies. If you are looking to change your large speakers and enjoy a fuller music experience, this would be a good choice.
6x9 Two-Way Speaker
This type of 6x9 speakers serves as two speakers built into one. They have an additional tweeter at the front of a large speaker cone that helps produce high pitch frequencies. The extra tweeter attached helps produce a clearer sound quality. Its compact design makes it a perfect fit for most vehicles.
6x9 Three-Way Speaker
Apart from the 6x9 main speaker, these speakers have two different sized tweeters that are capable of producing ultra-high frequencies. We consider the 6x9 three-way car speakers the best choice for clear, detailed sound.
Rockford Corporation is an American-owned company with its headquarters in Tempe, Ariz. Rockford was founded by American inventor James M. Fosgate back in 1973. The company is popular for its superior-quality audio products. The audio systems company also produces and distributes audio systems under Rockford Acoustic Design, Blaupunkt, Renegade, and Helix. One of its popular products is the Rockford Punch P1692.
Boss Audio Systems
Boss Audio Systems is an American company headquartered in Oxnard, Calif., with offices in Shenzhen, China. For more than 30 years, Boss Audio has been a leader and innovator when it comes to creating video and audio products such as tweeters, subwoofers, signal processors, capacitors, and accessories. The audio company includes more than 400 marine, car and Powersports products sold in 130 different countries. One of its popular products is the Boss Audio CH6930.
JBL is an American-owned company that specializes in the manufacturing and distribution of loudspeakers. The company comprises of two independent divisions: JBL Professional and JBL Consumer. The former produces professional equipment for the studio, while the latter produces audio equipment for domestic use. JBL Incorporated is owned by Harman International Industries, which is a subsidiary of Samsung Electronics. One of its popular products is the JBL GTO939.
6x9 Speaker Pricing
- $50 and under: There are a variety of 6x9 speakers available at this price. However, the speakers you are likely to find at this price range only offer basic functionality, with limited frequencies. Depending on the manufacturer, speakers at this price range are popular due to their affordable pricing and decent performance.
- $50-$100: The best 6x9 speakers can be found at this price bracket. These car speakers have a much better build, more features, and offer crystal clear sound. Speakers at this price range are either two- or three-way, 6x9 speakers.
- $100 and over: There aren’t as many speakers at this price range. However, the units here are the best of the best. They offer multiple functionalities and are capable of producing a variety of frequencies. They are also designed with the best quality material to last and to offer high-quality sound.
The frequency response is the measure of pitch and the range of lows and highs that are produced by the speaker’s woofer and tweeters. This response is measured by the width of the range of frequencies one speaker can produce.
The sensitivity rating means how loud the audio produced will be to cancel noise both in and out of the vehicle cabin. Any speaker that has a sensitivity rating of above 87dB is normally considered a good option when shopping for speakers.
Audio Volume Quality
The audio volume quality is perhaps the most important feature when shopping for a 6x9 speaker. Good audio volume quality helps car owners enjoy crystal clear sound without interference from outside or within the cabin. Depending on the manufacturer, 6x9 speakers are capable of producing high-quality audio compared to your factory speakers.
Power consumption or RMS is measured in watts. The higher the watts, the more power output the speakers will be able to handle. This is directly related to the volume level the speakers can handle as well as the sound produced.
Impedance is the effective resistance of an electric circuit or component to alternating current flow measured in ohms. Most 6x9 speakers are rated at 4 ohms, but there are other options rated at 2 ohms and 3 ohms. It is important that your speakers and head unit have the same impedance rating to work properly. The quality of sound produced will determine whether or not you need an external amplifier or not. Therefore, the higher the impedance, the more power the speakers will require to produce the same level of audio volume.
- Brand: Some brands are known to build high-quality products compared to others on the market. Depending on the manufacturer’s reputation, its products could guarantee good performance and durability.
- Construction: When it comes to durability and quality of sound, you’ll want to get a speaker with solid construction. Check the materials used in the construction before making up your mind. High-quality speakers need to be able to work well and remain durable.
Best 6x9 Speakers Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best 6x9 Speakers Overall: Rockford Punch P1692
Car enthusiasts know they can never go wrong with a respected brand in automotive speaker systems such as Rockford. Rockford Corporation is a world leader when it comes to cutting-edge sound technology. Don’t let the plain looks fool you; these 6x9 speakers prove that you don’t need two tweeters to make an impact.
The Rockford Punch P1692 6x9 audio speakers are two-way coaxial full range speakers. These speakers have a maximum holding power of 75 watts RMS or 150 watts peak power. Its sensitivity is 91 dB with a frequency of 60 Hz-22 kHz.
The Punch series 6x9 speakers feature a flex fit basket that makes installation easy in odd locations in your vehicle. They are designed with slots instead of holes for fastening. The P1692 6x9 car speakers play a harmonized hand with a punchy deep bass that is well-extended.
One drawback to the Rockford Fosgate Punch is it can be quite challenging to install for first-time users. It could also do much better with a little more bass, though adding a subwoofer can easily remedy this problem.
Best 6x9 Speakers Value: Boss Audio CH6930
The Boss Audio CH6930 speakers are some of the best 6x9 speakers that can deliver high-quality, powerful sound output. Each of these three-way 6x9 speakers produce 250 watts peak power. They have a sensitivity rating of 92dB and are capable of delivering high volumes without any distortions to the sound. These speakers have been designed with a polyurethane cone, which is a durable and resilient material that offers premium sound with the benefit of long-lasting speakers.
Its robust build is further enhanced by its voice coils that are designed to withstand high temperatures while still offering fatigue and strength properties. This feature allows for longer play times with lower weights. The Boss Audio CH6930 has a piezoelectric tweeter that is designed to resist sound overloads. With this tweeter, car owners don’t need to invest in a crossover due to its electrical property. It also features a butyl rubber surround that helps the speakers endure constant abuse without wear and tear.
A drawback to the Boss Audio 6x9 speakers is it doesn’t produce sound quality and bassline notes as good as other premium models in its range. Its frame is also made of plastic, which affects its durability. However, if you are looking for a replacement for your worn-out factory-installed speakers, Boss Audio CH6930 is the best choice.
Best 6x9 Speakers Honorable Mention: JBL GTO939
JBL is globally respected when it comes to high-end sound technology. The GTO939 6x9 speakers are three-way coaxial speakers with a futuristic design and great sound quality. These high-power speakers have a sturdy build; something that is easily noticed straight out of the box. Their robust build is coupled with a mesh grill over the tweeters and partially over its woofers.
The GTO939 are a mega upgrade from stock speakers. These cones increase the speaker cone area, helping it to radiate more air. Its midrange is also not sullied by bass. They also have their own space to place the vocals and instruments. A bonus is that they are easy to install, even for first-time users. These 6x9 speakers feature JBL’s UniPivot system that allows vehicle owners to adjust the position of the tweeter. This after-installation customization allows users to adjust the tweeter dB output to desired preferences.
The JBL GTO939 6x9 speakers have one major drawback: They mount deeper than most 6x9 speakers in the market. This means some modifications might be required to fit them perfectly into your vehicle. Buying an adapter will sort out this problem but at an extra cost.
- Install your speakers in an area that is free from dust. Dust affects the performance of speakers. Use a vacuum cleaner or blower occasionally to clean out dust from your speakers.
- Avoid keeping your speakers on metal that is conducive to the magnetic material. Instead, use non-magnetic or wooden material. Installing your speakers next to conductive metal will damage the speaker’s electromagnet.
- It's essential that you check your user’s manual before setting up your 6x9 speakers. Most speaker manuals give detailed information on installation, advice, and maintenance that could help enhance the life of the speakers.
- During the installation, check that your speaker wires are properly plugged and connected to the right jacks. The wrong connection could blow up your system.
- Ensure that your speakers have adequate ventilation. Proper ventilation helps increase and maintain your speaker’s life.
Q: What is the difference between a two-way and three-way speaker?
A: Two-way speakers make up the majority of car speakers in the market. They are also known as coaxial speakers. A two-way audio speaker is a combination between a woofer and a tweeter. They are capable of handling both high and low frequencies together. Three-way speakers are somewhat similar to two-way speakers. The main difference is the presence of the power of producing the midrange audio frequency.
Q: Is it advisable to install my 6x9 speakers myself?
A: Yes. Installing speakers isn’t a complicated task. However, the whole process depends on the type of speaker you are installing in the first place. If you are looking to install two-way speakers, then it should only take a few minutes. If you are installing a component speaker, it might take some time.
Q: Why should I choose 6x9 speakers for my automobile?
A: There are several speakers in the market. Each of these products comes with a different set of features. Your choice of speaker largely depends on the kind of output you desire to get from your audio system. 6x9 speakers are often the best choice for most car owners since their installation is affordable, and doesn’t mess with the entire audio system.
Q: Can I install an extra set of speakers without removing my factory speakers?
A: Yes, it’s possible. However, before you do that, you have to find the proper position and understand how your car audio process works. Installing your speakers in the wrong location could obstruct other critical components. Just make sure you double check your connection because an error in that can create a big problem for your entire audio system.
Q: Is it important to have an audio amp for my new 6x9 speakers?
A: Yes and no. You can still enjoy quality crisp music with your new 6x9 speakers alone. However, getting an audio amp significantly improves the quality of your car’s sound for a better experience. The quality of music in your vehicle will increase to a noticeable level if you have an audio amp.
Our top product for the best 6x9 speakers for your vehicle is the Rockford Punch P1692. The P1692 is a top-notch premium product that has been designed with advanced features. This speaker is popular due to its high performance and the crystal-clear sound it produces.
If you are looking to get a speaker that is more affordable with basic performance, check out the Boss Audio CH6930. It produces high-quality sound that will liven your sound system.
Do you have experience with a better 6x9 speaker unit? Share your thoughts with us below.
- RELATEDBest Subwoofers for Cars: Upgrade Your Car AudioA great subwoofer can provide you with a divine listening experience on the goREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest 10-Inch Subwoofers: Top Picks for Building That BottomTurn your bass up to ‘11’ with these top 10-inch subwoofersREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Car Speakers: Get the Best Musical Experience in Your CarGet great music in your vehicle with these top-quality car audio speakersREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest 12-Inch Subwoofers: Add Some Bass to Your MusicExperience a rich booming sound in your car with any of our top picks for the best 12-inch subwooferREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Car Amplifiers: Your Guide to the Best Sound and VolumeUpgrade your existing car stereo system with these efficient car amplifiersREAD NOW