LAST UPDATED: November 13, 2019
Best Car Sun Shades for Babies: A Protective Shield for the Window
Great options for keeping your baby cool during long drives
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 13, 2019
It can be frustrating to look behind you in the car and see your child sweating or complain about being too hot. It's even worse if you have to stop to adjust his or her sitting position. If you find yourself in such a situation when traveling with your baby, consider using one of the car shades in our buying guide below so he or she is more comfortable during a road trip.
Four pieces of semi-transparent and transparent sun shades for the baby measuring 20 by 12 inches.
Designed with both UV blockers and absorbers. Keeps the car cool. Folds to a compact profile. Storage pouch included. Can fit any window size. The static film is easy to apply and remove.
May not cover the full passenger seat window. They may fall off the window on bumpy terrain.
A four pack of cling sun shades measuring 21 by 14 inches that protects your baby from UV rays.
Protects from sun glare and heat. Ninety-seven percent UV protected. Mesh design maintains visibility for the driver. Fits most car windows. Made of premium materials to guarantee durability.
The frames may break when it’s being folded. May be too large on the rear window on some passenger vehicles.
This car sun shade is easy to install. Its five strong magnets attach to the steel car side of the window frame.
It’s made of polyester and blocks most of the sunlight. You don’t have to remove it to roll down the window. Its built-in strap allows you to fold it to a compact size for easy storage.
Because it’s magnetic, it only works for cars with metal-framed windows. The magnets are weak and detach easily.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Car Sun Shades for Babies
- Offer protection from harmful UV rays. A sun shade can protect your little one from dangerous UV rays and excessive heat during lengthy road trips. Children are easily affected by excessive light and temperature fluctuations, and a well-designed sun shade can keep them safe.
- Cool down your vehicle. In warm weather, your car can get very hot inside. The best sun shades for babies are made with a reflective material and make your car’s interior cool, keeping your baby comfortable. If you add a windshield shade, you can decrease your car’s internal temperature by up to 40 degrees.
- Create an activity corner for the kids. Kids can quickly get bored on long road trips. It’s even worse if the weather is hot. A sun shade creates an activity spot for toddlers. They can color, draw, use an iPad, or read a book. When your kid is busy, they won’t bicker or whine.
- Protect your car’s electronics from heat damage. Besides protecting your baby, a sun shade can also protect your car’s electronics from heat damage. Without it, the heat inside your vehicle can increase to harmful levels and damage your gadgets. Sun shades also prevent the fading of upholstery.
- Minimize AC usage. Another great thing about sun shades is they can help reduce AC usage. In hot weather, most parents tend to overuse their air-conditioning systems to keep their kids comfortable. If you don’t want to damage your AC due to overuse, get the best car sun shade for your baby.
Types of Car Sun Shades for Babies
One example of a semi-permanent sun shade is window tint film. You can buy the film, cut it to fit the size of your windows, then stick it to the windows. However, because it’s a semi-permanent sun shade, it isn’t easy to install and remove.
A collapsible sun shade provides full coverage from the sun and folds up easily for storage. It is available in two designs: custom-fit and universal-fit. The custom-fit model is designed to fit your car’s windows perfectly. A universal-fit sun shade can be used in different vehicles. However, it may not fit your car’s windows perfectly, and there may be gaps around the edges which let in the sun.
These sun shades fold and unfold like an accordion. They don’t slip off the windshield like some sun shades and can be used in a variety of vehicles. However, it’s worth mentioning that they are bulky and require more storage space.
This type of sun shade sticks to a car’s window without suction cups. It’s easy to install and remove, so you can use it in different vehicles.
Munchkin creates innovative and high-quality products for children that make parents' lives easier. The company was founded in Los Angeles, California, in 1990. It has seven offices worldwide. The staff at Munchkin are passionate, creative, and believe in making the most effective products. To understand why the company is one of the best baby lifestyle brands in the world, check out the Munchkin Brica Magnetic Stretch-to-Fit Sun Shade.
Enovoe was born out of love for children. The founder, Rachel Budde, is a mom and decided to start the company to ensure that each child got access to affordable, high-quality products. Enovoe takes customer feedback seriously and improves its products each year. That’s why most of its products are highly rated, like the bestselling Enovoe Car Window Shade.
Kinder Fluff was also founded by a mom with a passion for high-quality products. The company is still young and is based in the UK. Its products range from toddler pillows to car sun shades. Kinder Fluff makes kids' lives more comfortable and enjoyable. Its sun shades provide better sun protection and block UV rays. If you’re looking for a simple and affordable sun shade, get the Kinder Fluff Sunshade.
Car Sun Shade for Babies Pricing
- $7-$15: Most of the sun shades in this category block UV-A and UV-B rays, especially those on the higher end of the price range. The car shades come in different designs.
- $15-$25: Most of these car sun shades for babies are sold in pairs. You may even get an entire set of sun shades for your car.
This is, without a doubt, the most important thing to consider when buying a sun shade. Get one with a reflective material that’s resistant to heat. Most reflective sun shades are made with polyester or nylon. These two materials are long-lasting and lightweight. Sun shades with a reflective surface bounce the light to ensure it doesn’t reach the objects in the car, reducing the interior temperature. A reflective sun shade protects your baby, keeps your vehicle looking good, and maintains its value.
Your baby’s skin needs to be protected from the sun's harmful UV (ultraviolet) rays whenever they are outdoors. Even a few serious sunburns can lead to skin cancer later in life. And the thing is, children don't have to be at the beach or the pool to get too much sun. Even sitting in a car for long periods can expose them to harmful UV rays. Most car windows block UV-B rays, so get a sun shade that will protect your baby from UV-A rays as well. The UV-A rays penetrate deeply into the skin and are directly responsible for premature skin aging symptoms such as wrinkle formation.
Polyvinyl chloride (PVC)—commonly known as vinyl—is one of the most widely-used types of plastics. It’s used in home furnishings, children’s toys, automobile parts, and even building materials. While the plastic is versatile and inexpensive, it is one of the most toxic substances in the world today. It harms humans and the environment throughout its entire lifecycle: during its production, usage, and disposal. Safer PVC alternatives are available, so if you’re concerned about chemical exposure, stay away from static-cling sun shades as they are usually made with PVC. Instead, opt for a sun shade with suction cups.
Removable or Semi-Permanent
If you’ll be using the car shade in different vehicles, you need one that’s easy to install and remove. If you want one that will stay on the window for a long time,choose a semi-permanent solution. A semi-permanent sun shade is simply window tint film. You can cut it to fit the size of your windows, and then stick it to the windows. It isn’t convenient to remove and reapply.
The sun shade you get must be lightweight to prevent injury in the unfortunate event of a crash. Also, a lightweight sun shade won’t injure your baby if it happens to fall down unexpectedly as you drive. The material used to make the sun shade also plays a large role in determining its weight.
- Ease of Installation. Babies can get cranky fast, so this is something you should consider. Get a sun shade that’s easy to install. It should also open up easily and fold down to a compact size. That way, it won’t take up a lot of storage space.
- Large Suction Cups. For the sun shade to be effective, it must stay stuck to the window. We recommend sun shades with large suction cups as they don’t fall off easily. Also, if the sun shade happens to fall, the suction cups don’t become a choking hazard.
- Window Shape. It’s important to measure your car’s windows before purchasing a window shade. If you don’t, you may get one that’s too big or too small. Make sure the car sun shade you choose fits and covers the window as much as possible.
Best Car Sun Shade for Babies Reviews & Recommendations 2021
If you’re on the hunt for complete sun protection for your little one, the Kinder Fluff Car Window Sunshades are a terrific selection. While they are somewhat transparent, they are still very dark. This makes it easy for you and your baby to see without compromising protection from solar rays. By using a film that pairs with the mesh structure, these shades are durable and functional. They fit onto any window, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility. They are specifically designed to absorb UV radiation, thereby protecting the child from overheating or sunburn. You can install them quickly without adherents or tools.
In between uses, you can fold them down to a compact form. Ideal for long rides on sunny days, these car shades are a fantastic option overall.
If you want to protect your child from harmful sun rays, the Enovoe Car Window Shade is worth a look. Using distinct shading, this cover rids the area of roughly 97 percent of ultraviolet radiation. It does so by blending high-quality mesh layers to offer shade without foregoing visibility. It uses natural static cling, so you don’t have to worry about chemical adherents. Worried about glare from other windows? This set comes with four covers so you can use it on multiple windows. Since this cover fits onto just about any car window, you needn’t worry about compatibility. To install it, just clean and dry the window. Place the cover and apply even, smooth pressure. From there, it holds steadily in place, offering noteworthy protection from both heat and sunlight.
However, keep in mind that the frames may break when it’s being folded. It may also be too large on the rear window on some passenger vehicles.
The first thing you’ll like about this car sun shade is that it’s easy to install. Thanks to its five strong magnets, it can be easily mounted on car window frames made of steel. It also has four suction cups that ensure it attaches to a car window securely. Its polyester fabric blocks most of the sunlight and keeps the back seat cool. You don’t have to remove the sun shade to roll the window up and down—it will stay in place. It comes with a built-in strap you can use to tie it after you’re done using it.
However, be sure to check your car’s windows before purchasing it. It only works for metal-framed windows. If the metal frame is covered with rubber or plastic, the magnets won’t work. There have also been a few complaints that its magnets are weak.
At times, it can be hard to get sun shades to stick to the window. Munchkin found a solution to that and made this magnetic sun shade. It’s easy to put on the window and remove, and it stays in place during the journey. Once you shut the door, your child can’t remove it. Also, if you want some breeze, you can roll the windows up and down without worrying about the sun shade falling off. However, for it to work perfectly, your car’s door frame must be magnetic. You can use a household magnet to check if the door frame is magnetic. With this shade, car journeys will feel much safer. It blocks out dangerous UV-A and UV-B rays and prevents glare.
However, there have been complaints that it’s only ideal for small windows. It also lets in a significant amount of sunlight.
No matter how old your kids are, this universal car shade will protect them from the harsh sun. It covers the entire window, not just a little patch of glass. Also, because it’s made of stretchy nylon material, it is easy to install and fits nearly all car models. It has an easy installation process—you simply place it over the window and frame. It stays secure and provides complete sun protection. The best thing is, you don’t have to remove it to roll down the windows. Shade Sox sells two sun shades in a set, so you can cover both backseat windows. The car shade will protect your kids against sunburn, glare, and UV rays. When you buy it, you get a free eBook with different ideas for keeping kids occupied while traveling.
However, the shade makes it difficult to see out the window and may leave black marks on your car.
- Wipe the car window with a damp cloth before attaching a sunshade. Or better yet, always keep a pack of wet wipes in your car.
- After installing the sunshade, go to the driver’s seat and confirm that it doesn’t block your visibility from any angles when driving.
- Choose a plain design on your car window shade. Your baby may not try to grab it versus one that includes fun cartoon drawings.
- If you plan to leave your car in the sun for a while on a hot day, leave the car sun shades on the windows and use a windshield cover. Your car will be somewhat cooler when you return.
- Buy a pair of baby sunglasses to protect your baby’s eyes if they are at an age where they can wear them.
Q: How do I know if a car shade is suitable for my vehicle model?
Unfortunately, most car window shades aren’t differentiated by vehicle type. Get the exact measurements of the product and compare it to the size of your car window. Use a tape measure for the dimensions of your window (length and width) and choose a model that fits within those dimensions.
Q: Is it safe to use car window shades on tinted windows?
You can as long as it doesn’t block your vision. Car tints protect you from the heat outside only to some degree, and most aren’t UV protected. Adding an extra layer of a car window shade is a great way of ensuring that your baby stays cool in the car, even when the sun is blazing hot outside.
Q: Do I have to remove the car shade when rolling down the window?
You can't roll down the window when the car shade is attached to it. It won’t roll into the door frame, and the sunshade may crease or get jammed.
Our top pick is the Kinder Fluff Car Sun Shade. It offers superb sun and UV protection and will help keep your baby calm while you’re driving.
A more affordable baby car window shade is the COZY GREENS Car Window Shade. It can fit most large cars.