Best ATV Snow Plows: Prepare for Winter with a Snow Plow Kit
Get rid of snow on your driveway with these tops ATV snowplows
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON September 18, 2019
ATVs and snowplows make a great combination. They work together to make sure your driveway, curb, and even yard are free of snow. A snowplow is one of those important purchases you make to ensure you’re not struggling with shovels when the snow starts falling. This detailed guide will help you to find the best ATV snow plow on the market.
- Best OverallExtreme Max UniPlow One-Box ATV PlowSummarySummaryThis snow plow kit comes with a welded push tube for quick and convenient installation. The UniMount universal mount makes it a good fit for most ATVs.ProsProsThe heavy-duty, adjustable skid pads last long and can withstand most terrain. The blade can be positioned at six different angles.ConsConsAssembly is challenging because it’s hard to get the bottom rock blade and mounting brackets to align with the blade’s holes. In addition, the bolts are not the highest quality.
- Best ValueWARN ProVantage 50" Straight Plow BladeSummarySummaryThis unit is designed to plow large quantities of snow in different directions.ProsProsThe blade is boxed and made from thick steel, so it’s sturdy and suitable for heavy plowing. It is designed to tip forward on contact with hard obstacles to reducing the risk of damage.ConsConsYou will need extra bolts and nuts to secure the pivot arms. The pins are not a perfect fit and quickly get loose.
- Honorable MentionDENALI ATV Plow for SportsmanSummarySummaryThe Denali plow features an easy-connect design for quick attachment and detachment.ProsProsThe plow is center-mounted to lower the risk of damage to the front of your ATV in case of heavy impact. Four seven-gauge ribs horizontally support the blade. It is further supported by three more stabilizers at its deepest part.ConsConsThis specific model is limited to Sportsman ATVs, except Sportsman X2 machines. The u-bolts in the mount plate kit are not high quality.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of an ATV Snow Plow
- Clearing paths. A quad plowing snow is a common sight during the winter. A high-quality snowplow can quickly clear the areas next to your home that experiences high foot traffic.
- Yard maintenance. If your home is surrounded by trees, fall can be both beautiful and messy. Thankfully, some snowplows allow you to move piles of leaves to designated spots for easier disposal.
- Leveling. When you have a heap of mulch or soil and you’d like to spread it evenly, a snowplow can take the place of a bow rake.
- Forklift capabilities. If the mechanism of the plow allows for it, it can lift and move light items just like a forklift. However, this depends on the design of the ATV snow plow.
Types of ATV Snow Plows
Straight blade snowplows are perfect for all-season use. They are designed to clear snow from walkways, curbs, and other areas around the home. They can easily clear large, open lots without many obstacles. They are a low-complexity, low-cost solution and are ideal for areas that do not experience significant snowfall. They also cost less than V-blade plows.
These are the Swiss Army Knife of plows. They are useful in situations where the user intends to clear bigger chunks of snow. They are made in such a way that they can handle snow that is frozen solid. They offer better performance than straight blade snowplows as they can angle and direct snow.
Lift snowplows come in two categories: manual lift (chain lift) and direct hydraulic lift. Manual lifts are good for small-scale plowing and lifting around the home. Direct lifts are designed to handle bigger debris. Both do a great job, but direct hydraulic lifts raise and lower seamlessly over curves and bumps in a driveway.
Extreme Max is located in Lino Lakes, Minnesota. It is a brand that is synonymous with top-tier products for the outdoors. It sells equipment for extreme outdoor sports, hence the name Extreme Max. Its line of products also includes marine devices and generators. One of its most useful snow plow accessories is the High-Visibility Plow Markers for ATV and UTV.
WARN Industries is a top-tier manufacturer of off-road equipment and accessories that enhance the ATV and utility vehicle experience. Situated in Clackamas, Oregon, it is also known for hauling, lifting, and dragging equipment. It has a wide range of bestselling products, including the WARN ProVantage 60-inch Straight Plow Blade.
MotoAlliance is a Powersports company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Its products are perfect for different seasons. There are heaters for summer and snowplows for winter. Despite having global partners, it focuses on American designs. It makes plow kits for specific machines, but its DENALI range has top-rated products such as the 72-inch DENALI UTV Snow Plow Kit.
ATV Snow Plow Pricing
- Under $200: These snow plows are for those who want cheap ATV snow plow kits. Some high-quality used ATV snow plows can also be found here. Most of the snowplows at this price point are 50 inches wide.
- $200-$400: Some of the best ATV snowplows are in this category. Their width ranges between 50 and 60 inches, with 50 inches being more common. This is where you will find the most universal ATV snow plow kits, and these snowplows also come with a long warranty.
- Over $400: When you want an ATV snow blade that will clear large sections at a time, this is where you’ll get it. The blades at this price point can be as wide as 60 inches. Additionally, you can get V-blade snowplows if you are dealing with deep snow.
Yes, you’ll be clearing snow while seated on your ATV, but that doesn't mean you should be lax about the blade material, because it determines your plow’s durability. Most blades are made of top-grade steel. The material also needs to be powder-coated to make sure snow doesn’t accumulate on it as you plow through it.
Since you’ll be clearing paths large enough to allow for foot traffic, you need a blade that is wide enough to clear large sections at a time. Most snow plows for ATVs are 50 to 62 inches wide. However, some are wider. The plows measure about 16 inches in length.
One of the costliest mistakes you can make is getting an ATV snow plow kit that is incompatible with your ATV. Manufacturer websites let you check whether your kit is compatible with your ATV. You can choose a snowplow with a universal mount to accommodate future changes.
- Installation: When you buy a snow plow kit, it may come as one package or two separate packages. However, the issue may be the assembly. Manufacturer manuals can be very helpful during installation. Follow them to ensure hard snow doesn’t wreck your new plow.
- Environment: If you live in a place with rocky, uneven terrain, you may need to get a heavy-duty snowplow. Consider getting one with a thick blade or a lift system. Heavy snowfall, for instance, needs a V-shaped blade.
Best ATV Snow Plow: Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best Overall: Extreme Max UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
Sturdy is the first word that comes to mind when you see this snowplow. It is a straight blade made from steel and backed by a 3/16" Grade 50 steel wear bar secured by Grade 8 bolts. Since it’s mounted behind the wheels, it is firmly attached and balanced and clears snow evenly. At its bottom, two curved skid pads help minimize corrosion.
This plow has durable, adjustable skid pads that can withstand most terrain. The powder coating on the blade keeps it rust-free. You can position the blade at six different angles for the best performance. It also comes with a universal mount to fit most ATVs. All the components come in one package for easy installation.
Despite all its good features, the bolt quality could be better. Assembly may also take a while as it can be difficult to get the lower rock blade and mounting brackets to align with the blade’s holes.
Best Value: WARN ProVantage 50" Straight Plow Blade
The WARN ATV snow blade is designed to make short work of snow buildup around your home. Most WARN ATV plow reviews to commend this specific model for being a hardy machine based on its design and construction. The blade is boxed and has no upper lip to provide maximum clearance and support. It is made from 14-gauge, low-alloy steel.
Extra-wide, adjustable steel skids help keep the blade durable and also prevent snags. It is ideal for uneven terrain as it has been designed for high ground clearance. It tips forward when it comes into contact with hard obstacles to reduce the risk of damage. To improve its stability, it has features such as reinforcing ribs and a spring-tension system.
However, it is important to note that WARN plow blades, bases, and skids are sold separately. You might have a hard time finding compatible parts. You’ll also need additional bolts and nuts for the pivot arms, and the pins aren’t secure enough.
Honorable Mention: DENALI ATV Plow for Sportsman
If you’ve got a Sportsman ATV, this is a perfect fit. Not only is it designed to fit specific Sportsman models, but it is also built with durability in mind. The curve on the blade makes sure all the snow plowed is rolled over and doesn't accumulate. If you're plowing after a heavy snowfall, you can angle the blade in five different positions.
The blade is made from 11-gauge steel and is attached to a replaceable Grade 50 steel wear bar for maximum durability. It is mounted at the center to reduce the risk of damage in case of a heavy impact. Four seven-gauge ribs, as well as three stabilizers at its deepest part, support it. It comes with height-adjustable steel skid feet and pushes tubes.
However, if you don’t own a Sportsman ATV, don’t get this snowplow. It also doesn’t work with Sportsman X2 machines. In addition, the u-bolts that come with the mount plate kit are of low quality. And to raise and lower the steel blade, you have to buy a winch separately.
- In case the instruction manual is not clear, contact the manufacturer, supplier, or a qualified professional to make sure you properly install the plow. This vital step will dictate how your plow works.
- Do not drive at high speeds while clearing snow because your plow won’t be able to do a good job. You may have to plow again, or worse, it may get damaged.
- Always check whether your plow is properly secured before starting any work. This will ensure you steer clear of any accidents and that your plow functions as it should.
- Store it in a dry area to avoid exposure to moisture for a long time. Moisture can lead to rust, and your snow plow may malfunction earlier than you expected.
Q: Should I use an ATV snow plow or a snow blower?
A: A snow blower is a great choice for light snow and tight areas where a snowplow cannot reach. However, it is more labor-intensive than a snowplow.
Q: Which is the best ATV snow plow?
A: The best ATV for snow removal depends on the amount of snow that needs to be removed. Most ATVs are able to easily clear paths, so there are a lot of options on the market, including the ones we highlighted in this buying guide.
Q: Are ATVs good for snow removal?
A: ATVs are some of the best outdoor machines for snow removal. They’re powerful and agile enough to handle this task.
Q: How do I remove snow using an ATV?
A: Position your pre-installed snowplow at the desired angle in front of the snow. Start your ATV and drive towards the disposal area. You can angle the blade to dispose of the snow to the sides.
We recommend the Extreme Max UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow because it’s sturdy and fits most types of ATVs.
However, if all you want is an affordable ATV snow blade that delivers great performance, we recommend the WARN ProVantage 50" Straight Plow Blade.