Best ATV Snow Plows: Prepare for Winter with a Snow Plow Kit
Get rid of snow on your driveway with these tops ATV snowplows
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
ATVs and snowplows make a great combination. They work together to make sure your driveway, curb, and even yard are free of snow. A snowplow is one of those important purchases you make to ensure you’re not struggling with shovels when the snow starts falling. This detailed guide will help you to find the best ATV snow plow on the market.
Extreme Max UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow
WARN ProVantage 50" Straight Plow Blade
DENALI ATV Plow for Sportsman
Benefits of an ATV Snow Plow
- Clearing paths. A quad plowing snow is a common sight during the winter. A high-quality snowplow can quickly clear the areas next to your home that experiences high foot traffic.
- Yard maintenance. If your home is surrounded by trees, fall can be both beautiful and messy. Thankfully, some snowplows allow you to move piles of leaves to designated spots for easier disposal.
- Leveling. When you have a heap of mulch or soil and you’d like to spread it evenly, a snowplow can take the place of a bow rake.
- Forklift capabilities. If the mechanism of the plow allows for it, it can lift and move light items just like a forklift. However, this depends on the design of the ATV snow plow.
Types of ATV Snow Plows
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Straight blade snowplows are perfect for all-season use. They are designed to clear snow from walkways, curbs, and other areas around the home. They can easily clear large, open lots without many obstacles. They are a low-complexity, low-cost solution and are ideal for areas that do not experience significant snowfall. They also cost less than V-blade plows.
These are the Swiss Army Knife of plows. They are useful in situations where the user intends to clear bigger chunks of snow. They are made in such a way that they can handle snow that is frozen solid. They offer better performance than straight blade snowplows as they can angle and direct snow.
Lift snowplows come in two categories: manual lift (chain lift) and direct hydraulic lift. Manual lifts are good for small-scale plowing and lifting around the home. Direct lifts are designed to handle bigger debris. Both do a great job, but direct hydraulic lifts raise and lower seamlessly over curves and bumps in a driveway.
Extreme Max is located in Lino Lakes, Minnesota. It is a brand that is synonymous with top-tier products for the outdoors. It sells equipment for extreme outdoor sports, hence the name Extreme Max. Its line of products also includes marine devices and generators. One of its most useful snow plow accessories is the High-Visibility Plow Markers for ATV and UTV.
WARN Industries is a top-tier manufacturer of off-road equipment and accessories that enhance the ATV and utility vehicle experience. Situated in Clackamas, Oregon, it is also known for hauling, lifting, and dragging equipment. It has a wide range of bestselling products, including the WARN ProVantage 60-inch Straight Plow Blade.
MotoAlliance is a Powersports company based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Its products are perfect for different seasons. There are heaters for summer and snowplows for winter. Despite having global partners, it focuses on American designs. It makes plow kits for specific machines, but its DENALI range has top-rated products such as the 72-inch DENALI UTV Snow Plow Kit.
ATV Snow Plow Pricing
- Under $200: These snow plows are for those who want cheap ATV snow plow kits. Some high-quality used ATV snow plows can also be found here. Most of the snowplows at this price point are 50 inches wide.
- $200-$400: Some of the best ATV snowplows are in this category. Their width ranges between 50 and 60 inches, with 50 inches being more common. This is where you will find the most universal ATV snow plow kits, and these snowplows also come with a long warranty.
- Over $400: When you want an ATV snow blade that will clear large sections at a time, this is where you’ll get it. The blades at this price point can be as wide as 60 inches. Additionally, you can get V-blade snowplows if you are dealing with deep snow.
Yes, you’ll be clearing snow while seated on your ATV, but that doesn't mean you should be lax about the blade material, because it determines your plow’s durability. Most blades are made of top-grade steel. The material also needs to be powder-coated to make sure snow doesn’t accumulate on it as you plow through it.
Since you’ll be clearing paths large enough to allow for foot traffic, you need a blade that is wide enough to clear large sections at a time. Most snow plows for ATVs are 50 to 62 inches wide. However, some are wider. The plows measure about 16 inches in length.
One of the costliest mistakes you can make is getting an ATV snow plow kit that is incompatible with your ATV. Manufacturer websites let you check whether your kit is compatible with your ATV. You can choose a snowplow with a universal mount to accommodate future changes.
- Installation: When you buy a snow plow kit, it may come as one package or two separate packages. However, the issue may be the assembly. Manufacturer manuals can be very helpful during installation. Follow them to ensure hard snow doesn’t wreck your new plow.
- Environment: If you live in a place with rocky, uneven terrain, you may need to get a heavy-duty snowplow. Consider getting one with a thick blade or a lift system. Heavy snowfall, for instance, needs a V-shaped blade.
Best ATV Snow Plow: Reviews & Recommendations 2020
If you’ve got a Sportsman ATV, this is a perfect fit. Not only is it designed to fit specific Sportsman models, but it is also built with durability in mind. The curve on the blade makes sure all the snow plowed is rolled over and doesn't accumulate. If you're plowing after a heavy snowfall, you can angle the blade in five different positions.
The blade is made from 11-gauge steel and is attached to a replaceable Grade 50 steel wear bar for maximum durability. It is mounted at the center to reduce the risk of damage in case of a heavy impact. Four seven-gauge ribs, as well as three stabilizers at its deepest part, support it. It comes with height-adjustable steel skid feet and pushes tubes.
However, if you don’t own a Sportsman ATV, don’t get this snowplow. It also doesn’t work with Sportsman X2 machines. In addition, the u-bolts that come with the mount plate kit are of low quality. And to raise and lower the steel blade, you have to buy a winch separately.
- In case the instruction manual is not clear, contact the manufacturer, supplier, or a qualified professional to make sure you properly install the plow. This vital step will dictate how your plow works.
- Do not drive at high speeds while clearing snow because your plow won’t be able to do a good job. You may have to plow again, or worse, it may get damaged.
- Always check whether your plow is properly secured before starting any work. This will ensure you steer clear of any accidents and that your plow functions as it should.
- Store it in a dry area to avoid exposure to moisture for a long time. Moisture can lead to rust, and your snow plow may malfunction earlier than you expected.
Q: Should I use an ATV snow plow or a snow blower?
A: A snow blower is a great choice for light snow and tight areas where a snowplow cannot reach. However, it is more labor-intensive than a snowplow.
Q: Which is the best ATV snow plow?
A: The best ATV for snow removal depends on the amount of snow that needs to be removed. Most ATVs are able to easily clear paths, so there are a lot of options on the market, including the ones we highlighted in this buying guide.
Q: Are ATVs good for snow removal?
A: ATVs are some of the best outdoor machines for snow removal. They’re powerful and agile enough to handle this task.
Q: How do I remove snow using an ATV?
A: Position your pre-installed snowplow at the desired angle in front of the snow. Start your ATV and drive towards the disposal area. You can angle the blade to dispose of the snow to the sides.
We recommend the Extreme Max UniPlow One-Box ATV Plow because it’s sturdy and fits most types of ATVs.
However, if all you want is an affordable ATV snow blade that delivers great performance, we recommend the WARN ProVantage 50" Straight Plow Blade.
MORE TO READ
Best Ice Scrapers: Snow and Ice Windshield Removal Solutions
Top snow and ice removers to reclaim your windshield from the cold
Best Tire Chains: Get a Grip in Snow and Ice
Maneuver a little easier in the snow and ice with these top tire chains.
Best Snowmobile Gloves: Shield Your Hands from Single Digit Temps
Keep your hands dry and warm with these top snowmobile gloves
Best Snow Traction Mats: Our Top Picks for Max Grip
Drive your vehicle out of the snow with these top snow traction mats