Best Motorcycle Jump Starters: Quickly Revive a Dead Battery
These top motorcycle jump starters will quickly get you back on the road.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Scott Roepel / LAST UPDATED ON April 16, 2021
Nothing's worse than getting ready for a ride and realizing your bike's battery is dead. Fortunately, it's not too hard to get it running again if you have a motorcycle jump starter.
However, not all jumpstarting devices are the same. Some are pricier than others or have features you may not need. Check out our buying guide below to find the best motorcycle jump starters on the market.
This 1,000-amp portable lithium-ion battery jump starter features spark-proof technology and reverse polarity protection. It charges using a USB cable and has a portable power bank and LED flashlight.
- Compact and lightweight
- Rugged and water-resistant
- Simple to use
- Holds a charge for a long period of time
- May stop working after a short period of time
- May not work in colder temperatures
- Micro USB charge port is not the best quality
This 800-amp jump starter provides 30 jumps on a single charge and includes a 12V 10A DC port and USB outputs.
- Includes heavy-duty cables
- Several safety features
- Lightweight and compact
- Cords are a little short
- Clamps can be a hassle to maneuver in tight spaces
A compact motorcycle jump starter that includes 2,000 amps, 21,000mAh, external device charging capabilities, and advanced technology for faster and more efficient charging.
- Dual USB ports
- Heavy-duty clamps
- Long cables
- LCD screen
- Quick Discharge Start Power technology allows it to function in extreme temperatures
- May read 100 percent charged but may jump down to 95 percent after a few seconds
- Clamps are a bit small
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Motorcycle Jump Starters
- They provide peace of mind. The best portable motorcycle battery jump starters help get your bike running again. You don't have to worry about being stranded at home or on the road.
- They're safe. It's not a good idea to jump start a smaller motorcycle battery using a car or truck because it's possible that you will cause damage to the battery or the electrical system. The best portable jump starter prevents that problem.
- They're affordable. The best motorcycle battery jump starters don't cost a lot of money. If you purchase a high-quality unit, it will last for many years and will pay for itself in no time.
- They're versatile. The best motorcycle jump starters work on more than just bikes. Several brands are designed to work just as effectively on cars, trucks, ATVs, UTVs, snowmobiles, lawnmowers, and more.
- They're easy to use. One of the best things about portable jump starters is that you don't need assistance when you're using them. They have basic instructions that nearly everyone can understand.
Types of Motorcycle Jump Starters
If your bike's battery is dead or nearly so, you can use a motorcycle jump box instead of jumper cables and a car (which can damage the bike battery). These devices are small and portable and can fit in saddlebags, tank bags, tail bags, and so on. They have enough power to jump start your motorcycle multiple times before they require recharging. Still, you will need to occasionally recharge the unit so it's ready to use in an emergency.
If your bike's battery dies in your garage, you can use a plug-in battery jump starter. The device connects to a standard power outlet and provides a fast jump start. Many also feature trickle charge options, so they can keep your battery charged. However, these units are not portable. Another type of plug-in bike jump starter is used by jumping the motorcycle by using another vehicle. Simply plug in from one battery harness to another.
The NOCO Company got its start in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1914. The company manufactures a variety of battery chargers, jump starters, solar panels, portable power devices, and related battery products and accessories. One popular product is the NOCO Boost Plus 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter.
Topvision is located out of Alhambra, Calif., and was founded in 2016. The electronics company designs everything from Wi-Fi movie projectors, monitors, printers, laminators, and of course jump starters like the Topvision Battery Starter.
Motorcycle Jump Starter Pricing
- $50-$100: Motorcycle jump starters aren't cheap. Higher-end models will typically have more features, such as LCD screens, LED flashlights, 12V cigarette lighter socket adapters, and power banks for charging smartphones and other devices.
Look at the voltage rating of the device. It should be rated for 12-volt batteries because that's what most motorcycles feature. It's a maximum rating, so the unit will not be able to jump start anything larger. You can charge batteries with lower voltage, such as smartphones, using ports.
The amperage measures how fast a charge enters a battery. In general, the more amps a jump starter has, the bigger the charge, and the quicker it will be to get your bike running again. Cheap motorcycle jump starters will have a lower capacity of about 8000 or 10000mAh, while better units will have as much as 20000mAh.
You want to be safe when you're using a jump starter. Look for models that have built-in protection features to avoid issues such as short circuits and reverse connections. The last thing you want to do is damage the battery or the electrical system. Even more importantly, you don't want to hurt yourself when you're connecting the clamps.
Some jump starters have USB ports. This allows you to charge smaller devices, such as smartphones and tablets, to the unit for power. It's a safe and easy way to charge electronic devices, even though the jump starter has a higher voltage rating. The more USB ports, the better; however, they do take up space and may make the unit less compact.
- Accessories. The best motorbike jump starters have heavy-duty clamps so they last a long time and digital displays for ease of use. Many also come with USB cables as well as built-in LED flashlights. A flashlight can be particularly helpful if you get stuck somewhere at night, and some even have SOS modes for emergencies.
Best Motorcycle Jump Starters Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Your bike may fail to start for a variety of reasons. Before using a jump starter, make sure there's gas in the tank, the petcock is on, the bike is in neutral, and the kill switch is off.
- In an emergency, you can use a car jump starter. Connect the red clamp to the positive terminal on your bike's battery and the black one to the negative terminal. Start the bike and leave it running for a few minutes. Then disconnect the jumper cables by removing the red one first, followed by the black one.
- Your bike will have a harder time starting in colder weather if it sits dormant for a couple of months. Either start it up once a week during the winter or put a trickle charger on it.
Q: How long will a motorcycle battery last without charging?
Typically, a battery will die within four months if you don't use it, but that depends on its age. Older batteries may die in 1-2 months.
Q: How many amps are needed to start a motorcycle?
That depends on the engine's condition, its size, and the starting components. If you have a 12-volt battery, it takes about 200 amps to start the bike.
Q: Can I overcharge my bike’s battery?
Yes. This may cause it to die faster. Don't leave a charger continuously connected to the battery or it will eventually drain it so it will no longer work.
Our pick for the best motorcycle jump starter is the NOCO Boost Plus 1000 Amp 12-Volt UltraSafe Portable Lithium Car Battery Jump Starter. Its clamps are heavy-duty, plus it has USB charging ports and an LED flashlight. The unit also has several built-in protective features.
For a more budget-friendly option, consider the TACKLIFE T8 Jump Starter.