Best RV Roof Cleaners: Prevent Sun, Dirt, and Rust Damage
Clean and protect your RV’s roof with these top RV roof cleaners
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Making sure your RV is in peak condition will ensure it gets you through several long trips. One part you should always make sure is in the best condition is the roof. The strongest RV roof cleaner will keep it free from rust, UV ray damage, and grime. It also protects the paint and materials from damage while you drive. Check out one of these high-quality RV roof cleaners before heading out on your next journey.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Roof Cleaners
- Cleaning and protection. Roof cleaners are designed to resolve dirt, pollutants, grime, bug deposits, and other harmful buildups. All these things can damage the roof on the RV and reduce its lifespan. By keeping the surface free from contaminants and residues, roof cleaners protect the RV roof in the long term and make it more durable.
- Convenience. Instead of rubbing all kinds of abrasive cleaners and harsh chemicals into the RV surface, you can use roof cleaners to remove buildups on the roof with ease. RV roof cleaners are easy to apply and rinse off, making the entire maintenance process quick and effortless.
- Safety. Regular household cleaners that contain abrasives and bleach can significantly damage the RV roof. When you choose a roof cleaner according to the surface type, you keep it safe from harm.
- Saves time and money. With the right RV roof cleaner, you can reduce the time necessary for regular vehicle maintenance. Most newly designed products leave a protective film over the surface and repel water, pollutants, and more. That means you can prolong the time between cleanups and save money in the long run.
Types of RV Roof Cleaners
Roof cleaners that come in spray bottles are incredibly popular among RVers. They are easy to use and safe enough to prevent damage to the surface. These products allow you to spray the substance over the roof in a few quick motions and wipe it clean with a mop within several minutes. Spray-bottle roof cleaners are mostly recommended for light cleaning and maintenance when the RV roof is not very dirty.
Those who need to clean large RV roofs and surfaces covered in excessive dirt might want to consider getting a concentrate. This type of roof cleaner comes in a container that allows for more coverage than the one in a spray bottle. It sometimes also serves for more applications, especially when it is highly concentrated and needs to be diluted in water. The concentrated formula is powerful and can get rid of heavy dirt in a breeze.
RVers who are always on the road might also find rinse-free roof cleaners perfect for their needs. These cleaners are ideal when you're not near a water source or you want to save the supply. They don't require excessive rinsing with lots of water. All you need to do is to apply the product on the surface and wipe it off.
Camco is a reliable company that produces all kinds of outdoor and camping gear, home, and vehicle products. It all started in 1966 in Greensboro, North Carolina, when Camco made an antifreeze. Today, the company prides itself on a wide range of different tools, cleaning and detailing products, and more. We find the Camco Pro-Tec RV Rubber Roof Care System ideal for those who need a budget-friendly yet an efficient option for maintaining their RVs.
Aero Cosmetics was founded in 1987 and is located in San Antonio, Texas. For many years, the company has proven to be one of the first options among drivers who need vehicle cleaning and detailing products. Aero Cosmetics offers a wide range of interior and exterior cleaning products, as well as cleaning tools and accessories. When it comes to RV roof cleaners, our top pick is the Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax Kit.
RV Roof Cleaners Pricing
- $10-$20: At this price range, you can find effective RV roof cleaners in spray bottles. They are mostly designed for light cleaning and detailing, but are quite efficient and incredibly easy to apply.
- $20 and up: If you have a few more bucks to spend on a roof cleaner, you can get concentrated ones designed for cleaning large and extremely dirty surfaces. Pricier products sometimes even last for longer and allow for a lot of applications over time.
First things first, the RV roof cleaner should be completely safe for the materials on your vehicle. It has to be free from abrasives and bleach so it doesn't harm the roof and cause corrosion and other permanent damages. We recommend avoiding soapy, silicone, and petroleum-based cleaners. Products with safe formulas don't contain any harsh chemicals and are biodegradable.
Another thing you might want to consider before the purchase is the type of your RV roof. Not all cleaners are the same and compatible with all materials. To make sure the cleaner will work and be safe for your vehicle, look for the one that matches the surface material. Most RV roofs are made either of fiberglass or rubber. The former is rarely made these days, while the latter is the most common. Fiberglass doesn't require much maintenance, and rubber materials need soft cleaners.
Ease of Use
It's crucial to determine the ease of application of each RV roof cleaner as well. Some people prefer products that come in spray bottles, and others like to use rinse-free ones that don't require excessive rinsing off. Determine what works best for you and then opt for a particular option. Although most newly designed products are easy to apply and wash off, that's not always the case, so be careful which one you choose.
- Conditioners. Not all RV roof cleaners leave a protective film over the surface after the application. If you need extra protection against sun, water, bug deposits, and other residues, consider getting a cleaner with a conditioner. That way, you can clean and protect the roof in the long run.
- Quantity. Determine how much of the product you need according to the size of your RV roof. You don't want to get through the half of the cleanup and then realize you lack the cleaning liquid to finish it up. We recommend getting a larger bottle for more than one application, especially when you're planning a long trip.
Best RV Roof Cleaners Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure you know what type of roof your RV has. EPDM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer, while TPO is short for thermoplastic polyolefin. Not all roof cleaners are designed for both types.
- Consider buying and storing multiple bottles of cleaners to ensure you don’t run out in the middle of a deep clean.
- You should wear gloves when handling the roof cleaner to avoid getting it on your hands.
- Wearing knee pads will help prevent your knees from hurting while scrubbing and cleaning the roof of your RV.
Q: How much RV roof cleaner should I use?
A: Typically, the bottle will come with a detailed description of exactly how much of the product to use. However, if you find that the amount is not enough to clean an area properly, you may want to use more and wait a bit before scrubbing it away.
Q: How do I clean an RV roof?
A: Many products will advise how to effectively clean the RV roof. Generally, each one will come with a multi-step process. The first involves sweeping or rinsing off the surface with a brush or hose. The second involves applying the cleaner, and the third involves washing it away or letting it dry.
Q: How can I tell if my RV roof is EPDM or TPO?
A: An EPDM roof is darker in color and features a thin, single-ply roof, whereas TPO is three times thicker and is welded to the top of the RV. TPO also reflects sunlight. You can always check with the RV guide to make sure.
Consider the Thetford Premium RV Rubber Roof Cleaner to get rid of any built-up gunk or grime on the roof of your RV.
For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Camco Pro-Tec RV Rubber Roof Care System, which is also very capable of cleaning and protecting your roof.