Best RV Drinking Water Hoses: Clean Water On the Road
Have clean water wherever you go with these RV drinking water hoses
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Suzana Mijatovic / LAST UPDATED ON April 29, 2021
An essential item that every RVer needs is a drinking water hose. Wherever the road takes you, you need fresh and clean water to drink. Although it might seem easy, picking the right drinking water hose can be quite challenging: it has to be approved by the government and safe for use. The water that comes out of it has to be free of contaminants and ready for consumption. We researched different hoses and completed this guide to help you find the best one for your needs.
The Camco hose is one of the best choices and complies with all laws and regulations. It is free from contaminants and safe for use. It’s ideal for RV purposes, camping, gardening, and other applications.
- Thicker than other regular hoses by 20 percent. Flexible and tangle-free
- Resistant to sun exposure and other weather threats
- Machined fittings prevent leaks
- Anti-kink design makes it easy to use
- 50 feet long
- Hose is very stiff, which makes it difficult to handle and store
- Gets even stiffer in cold weather
- Might kink a little
This heavy-duty water hose is 20 percent thicker than regular drinking water hoses. It has an anti-kink design and features strain-relief ends and machined fittings for extra durability. It is also UV stabilized.
- Doesn’t add a plastic taste to drinking water and is free of lead, phthalates, and BPA
- Complies with federal and state laws on low lead levels
- NSF/ANSI 372 certified
- If you leave it outdoors every day, sunlight may cause it to discolor
- Stiffer than other rubber hoses and not very durable
This 4-foot high-pressure hose is designed for 160 PSI RV hookups. It is ideal for RVs, trailers, and campers. It is made with NSF-listed materials that conform to state and federal laws for drinking water fixtures.
- Hose and its attachments are very durable and offer many years of service
- Comes with a hose gripper that makes it easy to install
- Does not contaminate drinking water
- Starts to leak after a short while
- If you leave it out in the sun, the white outer part becomes sticky
- Section that connects to the spigot is made of plastic
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Drinking Water Hoses
- Safe drinking water. You should not use a regular garden hose to transport your RV drinking water. An RV drinking hose is made out of materials that are specially designed for transporting water for consumption.
- Portable. Most RV hoses are five to 100 feet long. This gives you the ability to use a hose that is the perfect length for your needs. You can then roll it up and stow it away when it’s time to move on to the next campsite.
- Easy connections. These hoses come with universal connections that make it easy to hook them up to a spigot and make setting up your campsite simple. Look for one with machined hardware so you can have a leak-free connection.
Types of RV Drinking Water Hoses
These hoses are made of a safe material that complies with government regulations to certify that they’re free of lead. You can use them to transport drinking water to your RV. They’re typically made of a polyurethane material to provide a safe, clean, and manageable hose.
These hoses are an upgrade to your standard drinking water hose because it will heat the water as it transports it to your RV. This is especially useful if you plan to travel to colder climates. The heated hose will prevent the water from freezing in the hose, which can stop the flow of water and damage the hose.
If you’ve ever used a hose, you know the frustration that comes with a hose that constantly kinks. No-kink hoses are specially treated to make them less likely to kink. This makes them easier to use and store. They also have a longer useful life.
Camco RV Competitors was founded in 1966 and is located in Greensboro, N.C. Over 40 years later, the company has grown from one product offering to over 3,000 products and 130 patents. It specializes in manufacturing quality RV products that are reasonably priced. The Camco 25-foot TastePure Heated Drinking Water Hose is a perfect example of Camco’s commitment to quality products at an affordable price.
Founded in 1924, Teknor Apex is a research and science-based company that uses innovative technology to serve several markets. It focuses on developing products that use nylon, vinyl, bioplastics, and thermoplastics. Its specialty is manufacturing hoses for a variety of uses, including RV drinking water. Its headquarters is based in Pawtucket, R.I. The Zero-G RV and Marine Hose is one of its standout products and is manufactured with FDA approved materials.
The Valterra company has been a leading supplier of camper, pool, spa, and plumbing supplies since its inception in 1981. The company initially focused on plastic injection molding to product gate valves, plumbing fittings, and toilets. Today the company has over 160,000 square feet of production space and warehousing to house its family of brands, which are all leaders in their sector of the RV and camper market. If you need a high pressure drinking water hose, then the AquaFresh High Pressure Water Hose is a high-quality option.
RV Drinking Water Hose Pricing
- Under $15: These drinking hoses tend to have the shortest lengths and have basic construction. If you need a basic hose that doesn’t have fancy features, then these hoses do the job.
- $15 to $50: These are better quality hoses and come in longer lengths. You’ll easily find a 50-foot hose in this price range. You may even find some shorter heated hoses in this price range.
- $50 and up: These are top-of-the-line hoses in the longest lengths and with more features. If you need a heated hose for freezing temperatures, this is the price range you’ll look in. If you live in your RV full-time, these hoses are worth the investment.
FDA and Governmental Compliance
The best RV fresh water hose will be compliant with FDA, federal, and state regulations for use with human consumption. This is a safety issue and should be a priority. This compliance is what makes these hoses safe to use for drinking water. It means that they are lead-free. Some hoses take this a step further and are BPA-free as well.
The best RV water hoses have high-quality materials that are resistant to the natural elements. This includes UV-resistant material that protects the hose from drying out, becoming brittle, and cracking. If you’re in a colder climate, then look for a hose with freeze protection. These hoses prevent the water from freezing in the hose.
- Length. Decide how long a hose you need before you buy one. Consider that shorter hoses have limited use for your motorhome, but longer hoses can be difficult to manage and store and require a lot of coiling. Your best option is to purchase several hoses of various lengths.
- High Pressure. Most drinking water hoses allow for a certain amount of water to flow through them. There is a type of hose that is specifically designed for high pressure situations. These hoses can make certain tasks such as showering and washing dishes easier.
- Fittings. Nothing is worse than struggling to hook up or detach your hose from the water line spigot. Pay attention to fittings on the hose you buy. The best drinking hoses will have machined fittings to prevent leaks.
Best RV Drinking Water Hoses Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- The first step you should take is to check whether a particular hose is approved by authorities. Any safe hose complies with government regulations and is made from chemical-free materials to prevent water contamination. If the hose complies with all standards and laws, you're safe to get it for your RV. You’ll find the certificate under the product description.
- Make sure to pick the proper length. Water hoses are usually 6, 12, 25, or 50 feet long. You want to get the one that will reach the water source and connect to it without stretching. If you get a hose that is too short, you'll have to go through the buying process all over again. Keep in mind that most people opt for the ones that are 25 or 50 feet long.
- It's very important to get a flexible water hose. When traveling with your RV, you'll probably use the hose outside. In this case, the hose will have to pass through a lot of curves and corners. If you want to have a continuous water flow, you'll need a flexible hose.
- Don't forget to check whether you have enough storage space for the desired hose. It's crucial to store a drinking water hose properly so it doesn't get damaged or contaminated with dirt. If you don't have a roomy compartment for it, rearrange your stuff or look for a shorter hose.
Q: What makes a drinking water hose different from a garden hose?
The main difference is in the materials used for their construction. RV drinking water hoses don't have any materials that could contaminate water and make it unsafe for human consumption. Garden hoses are just the opposite and are designed only for outdoor use. They usually contain lead or other toxic elements.
Q: Can I use an RV water hose for hot water?
In most cases, you'll be able to use it for hot water. However, not all drinking water hoses are made to withstand high temperatures. You should double-check this before you buy a particular product. If the one you want to get is not safe to use with hot water, you can opt for a specially designed hose called a heated hose. This one is perfect for use with hot water and will keep the water clean for consumption as well.
Q: Will an RV water hose freeze at low temperatures?
The hose won't freeze if you protect it properly. You can wrap it up in foam pipe and heat tape. Still, if you're planning to expose it to harsh weather conditions, this safety measure might not be enough. A better alternative would be getting a specially designed hose that can withstand extremely low temperatures.
Our top pick is the Camco Premium Drinking Water Hose, one of the safest and most durable hoses in the category.
For those who need a more affordable option, the same company offers the Camco 22813 4-foot Premium Drinking Water Hose.