Best RV Tire Covers: Protect Your Tires From Harsh Weather
Protect your RV wheels from freezing temperatures and damaging UV rays
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Tires for trailers and RVs aren't as strong or durable as typical car tires. RVs also tend to spend a lot of time sitting in harsh weather and driving on high-speed roads. One way to protect them from extreme weather and corrosion is with tire covers. This buying guide includes the top three RV tire covers available today as well as some helpful tips for protecting your wheels.
Classic Accessories produces one of the most popular RV tire covers—the OverDrive. They are the best on the market thanks to their relatively low price and heavy-duty quality.
- These covers have multiple different size options
- Three available colors
- Made from non-scratch and easy-to-clean vinyl
- Covered by a three-year warranty
- The OverDrive wheel covers only come in a two pack,
- Elastics aren't as form-fitting as other RV tire covers
If you're looking for high-quality RV tire covers that are also affordable, the Camco Vinyl wheel protectors are cheaper but provide just as many features.
- These tire protectors have six different sizes
- Three available colors
- Weatherproof and corrosion-resistant
- Use a buckle and strap design for easy installation
- The Camco tire covers only come in sets of two
- UV protection does not hold up as well as other products
AmFor uses an aluminum film for superior weatherproofing and UV protection, and a thick cotton-wool lining for their premium RV tire covers.
- These durable tire covers come as a set of four
- Protect your tires from rust and corrosion
- Seven available size options
- Strong elastic hold
- These tire protectors are the most expensive option
- Only available in one color
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of RV Tire Covers
- Protection from extreme weather. When you leave your car under the sunlight for long periods of time, this can deteriorate your tires, especially if you live in a very sunny area. The same applies to a camper or motorhome. RV tire covers prevent the harmful UV rays from damaging your tires.
- Aesthetics. There are two kinds of people who buy car tire covers: RV owners and car collectors who want to keep their cars in the best condition possible. Using RV tire covers will maintain the aesthetics of your tires and RV wheels.
- Longer-lasting tires. It’s not all about aesthetics. Using tire covers for your recreational vehicle will increase the tire’s life. By using tire protection, your tires may last several years longer.
Types of RV Tire Covers
Spare Tire Covers
Having a spare tire on the back of your car looks great, but that tire will receive a significant amount of harmful UV rays. Therefore, your tire might not be that useful once you need it. A spare tire cover will ensure that your spare tire will remain useful whenever you need it. It is usually made out of waterproof vinyl tire material.
Storage Tire Covers
Storage tire covers are the ones you place over your tires while the car is parked. These are the most commonly used tire protection among RV owners since they usually have to park their recreational vehicles for long periods of time, and they’re overexposed to harmful UV rays.
AmFor is one of the most popular companies that creates trailer wheel covers. This company is a leading manufacturer of automotive products, and it has been in the market since 1961. This company has its headquarters in Oregon. The company’s spare tire covers are some of its most popular products.
Classic Accessories was founded in 1983 in Seattle. This company started manufacturing only automotive products. However, later on, they decided to start working with different products such as furnishings and outdoor accessories. Today, Classic Accessories is also one of the leading companies in manufacturing motorhome tire covers. Some of its most popular products are the RV and travel trailer tire covers.
Leader Accessories specializes in products such as tire covers, car covers, and RV covers. Its RV covers allow you to protect your whole motorhome from any external damage. The company’s camper tire protectors are one of its top products.
RV Tire Covers Pricing
- Under $20: Here, you’ll find trailer wheel covers made out of thin materials. They’re very cheap and might work for a short period of sun exposure. If you want to buy a better quality one, we recommend investing a little more.
- $20 to $50: These are the midrange trailer wheel covers which are great if you don’t want to invest a fortune, but you still want to have a high-quality tire cover. They’re usually made out of thick materials such as waterproof vinyl tire material.
- $50 and up: Here you will find the deluxe wheel covers, which are made out of stainless steel. Some of them are even customizable and aesthetically good-looking. They’re also waterproof and have a high capacity of protection against harmful UV rays.
Consider checking the materials of the camper wheel cover before you buy it. This way, you’ll make sure you get the right UV protection. If the wheel cover is made out of thin material, it won’t protect your tires that much against sun damage. You can get one made out of waterproof vinyl material if you don’t want to spend a lot, or you can spend more on one made out of stainless steel. These come in the spare tire model only.
When buying a spare tire cover for your RV, consider choosing a good closing mechanism. Some of them just have an elastic band that sticks the cover onto the wheel and others have a metal latch, which offers more security. There are also some tire covers that come with additional clasps.
Before you buy any tire cover for your RV, choose the right size based on your tire’s diameter. There are numerous sizes available, but it’s very important that you choose the right one for your RV to provide a snug fit. One of the most common sizes for RVs is the 245/70R19.5. You’ll need to check the sidewalls of the tire to get the exact number.
- Installation. Before you buy an RV tire cover, make sure that it has an easy-to-install mechanism, especially if it’s a spare tire cover. Storage tire covers usually don’t have a difficult installation system.
- Design. There are different sizes (based on tire diameter) and designs you can choose when buying an RV tire cover. There are elegant and classic-looking protectors, but there are also ones that provide a more sporty look. Some of them are even customizable.
Best RV Tire Covers Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Make sure to measure your RV tires before purchasing covers. Most products have different size options based on the diameter of your wheel. If the product you want does not have the exact size you need, opt for a slightly larger cover. It's easier to tighten an oversized cover than stretch one that is too small.
- Consider the type of weather your RV will encounter. If you're the type to travel in all conditions, then covers that can handle the most intense UV rays and extreme snowstorms are the best. However, if you mostly stay in one area, then pick a product that is made for that type of climate.
- UV protection isn't just important for hot summer days. Even if it's below freezing, extended periods of time in direct sunlight can still dry out the rubber on your tires.
- The number of tires your trailer has can affect your purchase. Dual-axle RVs have four tires to protect, and a lot of products only have one or two covers. This can increase the overall cost and change which product is right for you.
Q: What is an RV tire protector?
RV tire covers are made to protect your trailer's wheels while they are not in use. These products are also made to fit over the most common RV wheel sizes, and some even have dual axle covers or colors to match your RV.
Q: Why should I use RV tire covers?
RV tire covers protect your wheels from damage and ultimately save you money. Your trailer will most likely spend a lot of time sitting, which leaves it vulnerable to damage from moisture or direct sunlight. UV rays can cause your tires to crack, and prolonged exposure to water can cause your wheels to corrode.
Q: Do I need to clean my RV tire covers?
Even though the covers you buy will be weatherproof, it's still a good habit to keep them clean. This is not just for looks (even though that is important), but also to make sure the product lasts as long as possible. It should be as easy as washing the exterior with soap and hot water.
The best choice to protect the wheels on your RV is the Classic Accessories OverDrive RV Wheel Cover. These protectors are durable and keep your tires safe from the sun, rain, and snow.
If you're looking for a less-expensive option that still gives you reliable protection, you should check out the Camco Vinyl Weatherproof Wheel Cover.