Best RV Toilet Paper: Spend More Time Outdoors and Less Time Clearing Clogged Pipes
Flush away the waste without fear of clogging up your RV septic system
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Lisa Conant / LAST UPDATED ON September 30, 2021
When you think of spending time in your RV, you probably envision relaxing around a campfire with friends or hiking, swimming, or kayaking. You’re probably not thinking about wasting an entire day snaking clogged toilet paper out of the RV's pipes. Since RV plumbing systems are a beast of their own making and require careful use and maintenance, buying the correct toilet paper for an RV bathroom can mean the difference between a relaxing vacation or multiple trips to the hardware store. If you’re in the market for reliable RV toilet paper, we’ve got you covered with our top picks that are comfortable to use and will keep you from having to make continued treks to the dreaded public toilet.
This is a two-ply toilet paper that dissolves quickly and is 100 percent biodegradable and eco-friendly.
- It’s a strong two-ply fabric
- Each roll comes with 500 sheets of tissue, giving you a lot more fabric per roll. That’s 2,000 pieces of tissue in a pack of four.
- Perforations aren’t always lined up easily, so tissue tears unevenly
- Some people complain that the tissue is not soft enough
This two-ply RV toilet paper is durable, highly absorbent, and is able to be used on marine vehicles as well.
- It comes in a pack of four, and each roll contains 396 sheets, giving you more than 1,580 sheets per pack
- Safe for older septic systems and macerating toilets
- Fewer rolls per package than some other options
- Tissue is thin compared to other types of toilet paper
This two-ply toilet paper includes 500 biodegradable sheets per roll and is designed to reduce RV septic treatments and make clean out easier.
- Dissolves quickly and flows nicely through the sewer hose, which prevents clogs.
- Contains no dyes or paragens.
- Doesn’t feel scratchy.
- A little expensive
- Not very soft
- You may also need to use more of this product than some others in order to get a thorough clean
Best RV Toilet Paper Reviews & Recommendations
How We Selected the Products
There are a surprising number of options on the market when it comes to RV-specific toilet tissue. So, to sort through them and find the best ones, we did a thorough online search and weighed thousands of online user reviews. We have also tried some brands personally to determine whether those specific ones are worth recommending or better leaving on the shelves. Selection ultimately boiled down to a balance between softness, ability to quickly dissolve, and price point. We tried to include a well-rounded selection, since we understand that toilet tissue preference is a varied and personal thing. Plus, some folks are extremely loyal to their beloved brands.
Best RV Toilet Paper Buying Guide and FAQs
Benefits of RV Toilet Paper
- Avoid clogged sewage systems. The main purpose of RV toilet paper is to keep the toilet from getting clogged. Paper specifically designed for RV holding tanks tends to be lighter and dissolves more quickly than regular toilet paper. The septic tanks inside RVs aren’t designed to handle thicker ply paper.
- Environmentally friendly. Recreational vehicle toilet paper is often environmentally friendly. That makes it biodegradable, so the paper won’t hang around in the wilderness after you’re long gone. It's also usually free from dyes and harmful chemicals.
- Multipurpose. Most types of RV toilet paper are suitable for a range of sewer and septic systems. You can use it in compostable toilets, marine environments, outhouses, portable toilets, and remote cabins and cottages that may lack updated sewer and septic systems.
Types of RV Toilet Paper
Each individual toilet paper tissue is made up of a single piece of material. This type of toilet paper tends to be less expensive but runs out more quickly. The thinness of this toilet paper makes it less durable, which isn’t always a bad thing. Using one-ply toilet paper is best for an RV’s septic system because it breaks down the easiest and quickest.
Two-ply toilet paper is stronger due to the number of layers bonded together. It may be more expensive, but it will last longer. The thickness of this toilet paper makes it efficient and comfortable. It’s also more durable and leads to less messy breakthroughs than one-ply options.
This type of bath tissue is comfortable and gentle on your skin. It comes with lotions, scents, and multiple layers. Naturally, high-quality toilet paper will be pricier than standard toilet paper, but it helps hide any lingering unpleasant smells.
Unbleached or Brown
While toilet paper may come in a standard white color, unbleached or brown paper indicates it is made up of recycled materials. It may not be as soft on the skin due to the components bonded inside of it, but it does the job of normal toilet paper at a much lower cost. It’s also environmentally friendly.
The Scott family founded Scott Paper Co. in Philadelphia, Pa. in 1874. It was the first company to officially put toilet paper on a roll. One of its top products is the Scott Rapid-Dissolving Toilet Paper.
Camco was founded in 1966 and manufactured antifreeze. More than 50 years later, the North Carolina-based company is one of the leading manufacturers of RV and marine products and accessories. The Camco Rhino Heavy Duty 36 Gallon Portable Waste Holding Tank is one of its top-selling items.
Thetford has been manufacturing RV accessories since 1963. The company prides itself on providing high-quality services and products to the manufacturers and users of mobile vehicles throughout the world. Some of its top-selling products include Thetford Grey Water Odor Control and Thetford AquaBio 96604 RV Holding Tank Treatment.
Having toilet paper fall apart while you're using it is the worst. A good, strong ply toilet paper is best when it comes to taking care of business. An RV-friendly toilet paper that is septic safe is more durable and more absorbent. You’ll also spend less time in the bathroom worrying about how many tissues you use.
Knowing what septic system your home, RV, or boat uses is necessary when it comes to choosing the correct type of toilet paper. Many standard household systems will seamlessly flush any type of toilet paper, while septic tanks won’t be able to properly dissolve or get rid of thicker toilet paper. It’s best to research what system you have before purchasing toilet paper.
The singular most important reason for opting to use RV-specific toilet paper is because it’s especially designed to more easily dissolve and degrade than regular toilet paper. There is less risk of clogging or backing up your RV’s sensitive sewer system. Trust us, after tracking down and removing the first clog from your RV’s sewer hose or holding tank, you’ll be sold on anything that decreases your chances of ever having to do it again.
- Comfort: One of the highest priorities of the best toilet paper is comfort. The highest-quality brands shouldn't irritate your skin. While many types of camping toilet paper may be scratchy due to their material make up, you should be able to find a comfortable paper type by the brand you prefer.
- Quantity. Toilet paper comes in bulk packages, so it all depends on how often you use the restroom and how many other people are going to as well. For a household or RV with multiple people or a large family, it’s best to stock up.
Q: How long does it take to fully dissolve toilet paper?
It depends on the construction of the toilet paper. In general, single-ply toilet tissue will dissolve more quickly and easily than two- or four-ply tissue. It also depends on the density of the fibers used to make the tissue . Less dense fiber will break down faster.
Q: Can I still use chlorine tablets and cleaners with this toilet paper?
Yes. We recommend using chlorine tablets every month in a septic system in order to get rid of any lingering smells.
Q: Are all RV toilet papers biodegradable?
No, not all RV toilet paper is biodegradable. It depends on the type of tissue you buy. Check out the label to see if the brand you are looking at is eco-friendly.
If you are looking for a great RV toilet paper that will not clog your septic system and that dissolves quickly, we recommend the Freedom Living Septic Tank Safe Toilet Tissue.
However, if you want to save some cash on your next camping excursion, we’d go for the Aqua-Soft Toilet Tissue.
Why Trust Us
The Drive seeks to be the internet’s premier destination for news, features, reviews and guides about modern automotive culture.
Founded as the /DRIVE YouTube channel before growing into a full-fledged online publication in 2015, The Drive brings you the best of what’s new in the world of speed, from gear reviews to the latest industry coverage—all from a veteran team of writers and editors with many decades of combined hands-on experience. Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.