Behold the All-Electric, 1400-HP Ford Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 Drag Car
It can do a sub-eight-second quarter-mile at over 170 mph.
Ford made waves last year when it announced the Mustang Mach-E, an electric crossover due later this year as a 2021 model. Fans were seriously miffed at the company’s decision to slap a legendary sports car nameplate onto an electric family hauler, despite the fact that the Mach-E promised to be no slouch compared to a typical Mustang. Somebody at Ford obviously listened, because the company just unveiled its Mustang Cobra Jet 1400 electric drag racer prototype, and it’s aimed directly at the Mach-E critics.
We’ve seen electric powertrains deliver serious power, so it’s no surprise that the Cobra Jet 1400 prototype is said to run the quarter-mile in the low eight-second range at more than 170 miles per hour. Making those numbers possible is the car’s 1,400 electric horsepower and more than 1,100 pound-feet of instant torque.
Ford says that the prototype presented an opportunity to start working on electric powertrains for racing applications, but it’s unclear how far the company will push its electric drag racing prototypes since electrified racing outside of Formula-E is still in its infancy, in general. We do know that the all-electric Mustang Mach-E is almost ready for market and promises impressive performance for the street, so it’s clear that Ford is jumping into electrified performance with both feet.
Last year Ford rolled out the Mustang Lithium, a 900-horsepower electric pony car with a six-speed manual transmission, which stole the show along with a Bronco racing truck at SEMA 2019. It's unclear if the Lithium and this new drag racer share any technologies—as the Blue Oval remained mum on many details for either machine—but logic dictates that engineers most likely learned a thing or two from last year's project.
Real racing is on hold indefinitely, but the Cobra Jet 1400 will be up for a preview on Sunday, April 26 on MotorTrend on Demand's show “Hard Cell,” which will feature the car alongside other electric performance vehicles.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDMysterious Mid-Engined Ford Prototype Identified as Mockup of 1967 Mach 2 ConceptIt may have shared some components with the Mustang, but Dearborn archivists have confirmed it's something completely different.READ NOW
- RELATED2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Makes Comeback, But Shelby GT350's Axed: ReportRIP flat-plane-crank Voodoo V8.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2021 Genesis G80 Packs 'Machine Learning Cruise Control' to Go With Stunning LooksThe swanky G80 loses the V8 but gains a 375-hp twin-turbo V6.READ NOW
- RELATEDI’ve Already Been Humbled by My 55-Year-Old Ford Dump Truck"Is that being held up by a block of wood?" is a sentence I had to use recently.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou'll Never Get Another Chance to Buy a 3K-Mile Ford Crown Victoria Police InterceptorBecome the proud owner of this American icon.READ NOW