Best Heated Car Blanket: Our Top Picks to Keep You Warm
Check out these top heated car blankets to keep you warm and cozy while traveling
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If your car, truck, or RV heater isn't powerful enough to keep you warm in winter (or your fellow passenger prefers a different cabin temperature), consider purchasing an electric travel blanket. They plug into your vehicle's 12-volt outlet or cigarette lighter, and an insulated wire heats it up. See our picks for the best-heated car blanket.
Roadpro 12-Volt Polar Fleece Heated Travel Blanket
This 12-volt blanket is 100 percent polar fleece. It has an eight-foot power cord, LED indicator, and is 58 inches long by 42.5 inches wide
- The blanket feels nice and warm even when it's off.
- The cord is long enough to reach the back passengers.
- There is no automatic shut-off timer.
- The blanket is not machine-washable, and it can take a while to warm up.
- There is no adjustable temperature setting.
Heated 12 Volt Fleece Travel Throw for Car and RV by Stalwart
This 12-volt blanket is 100 percent polyester and has an eight-foot cord. It's 59 inches long by 43 inches wide and comes in a storage case with handles.
- The blanket is warm and does not overheat.
- The material is durable, and an indicator lets you know when it's working.
- It does not have an automatic shut-off switch.
- The blanket is not machine-washable and does not feature a high/low setting.
- The blanket may not reach high temperatures.
Car Cozy 12-Volt Heated Travel Blanket
A cozy 12-volt heated car blanket that’s made for road trips, with 58 x 42 inches of coverage and a cord that stretches 7 feet long for solid flexibility.
- Features a soft, plush polar fleece material in red plaid.
- Plugs into any 12-volt outlet in or out of the car.
- Includes a safety timer with auto shut-off capability.
- There are no heat settings; the blanket is either on or off.
- The plug can be loose in some outlets.
Why Buy a Heated Car Blanket?
- Keep your body warm. If you often get chilly while traveling, a car blanket warmer will ensure that you don't get cold on the road. They're also handy if your vehicle unexpectedly breaks down and you end up waiting for assistance in the cold weather.
- Keep your partner warm. If your spouse likes it warmer in the vehicle while you like it cooler, a plug-in car blanket is a solution. You no longer need to argue about the temperature inside the vehicle.
- Get warm quickly. When the temperature is particularly low, it may take a while for the cabin of your vehicle to heat up. Heating blankets for cars will keep your body warm while you wait for your vehicle to reach a comfortable temperature.
- Preheat your truck bed. If you drive a truck, heated travel blankets can make a big difference. Plug in the blanket after a long drive, and it will make your cold bed much cozier.
- Loosen your muscles. You can wrap auto blankets around your shoulders while driving to relax your muscles and make your back feel better. This is particularly advantageous if you drive long distances and suffer from joint issues.
Types of Heated Car Blankets
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Cars, trucks, boats and other vehicles have 12-volt sockets, which are also known as 12-volt auxiliary power outlets or cigarette lighters. They deliver power to portable electronics, such as heated car blankets. A plug-in car blanket is powered up through the 12-volt sockets. Some vehicles contain multiple sockets to power several accessory devices at once.
Top Brands of Heated Car Blankets
RoadPro, based in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, has been in the business for over 30 years. The company produces general travel products and auto accessories for both professional drivers and other motorists. Their featured electric blanket is the Roadpro 12-Volt Polar Fleece Heated Travel Blanket.
Stalwart, a subsidiary of Trademark Global, LLC, is based in Lorain, Ohio. The company is primarily known for its range of power, electronic, and hand tools. Their top heated electric blanket is the Heated 12 Volt Fleece Travel Throw for Car and RV by Stalwart.
Heated Car Blanket Pricing
- $30-$50: Heated car blankets are not cheap. Typically, they cost more than $30 unless you can find them on sale. While there are many heated blankets on the market, very few of them are specifically geared towards road travel.
Some heating blankets for cars include an automatic shut-off feature. An auto shut-off can kick in when the temperature gets too high or after a specified amount of time, i.e., 30 minutes. This allows you to use the blanket and not have to worry about turning it off. Most electric heated blankets do not have this feature.
Number of Temperature Settings
If you like to control a range of heating options, consider purchasing a plug-in car blanket that has at least dual controls for temperature settings (high and low). The more heat settings you have, the easier you will be able to control how hot the electric travel blanket will get. Few 12-volt heated blankets have this feature.
Some heated travel blankets have an indicator on the cord that lets you know when the product is functioning. The indicator lights up when the blanket is on. The light turns off when the blanket is off. This will allow you to look at the indicator to determine if the blanket is on without having to touch it.
- Size: If you are an adult and want the blanket to cover your entire body, you should purchase one that is at least 58 inches long by 42 inches wide. If a kid, a child in a car seat, or pet is using the blanket, a smaller size may work just as well.
- Cord Length: The best 12-volt electric blanket will have a cord that is at least 6 feet long. This will enable you to plug it into the outlet and use the product in both the back seat of a passenger vehicle or the sleeping cabin of a tractor-trailer. Otherwise, you may need to use an extension cord.
- Material: Heated blankets for cars come in various fabrics, including polyester fleece. Some are softer and/or more durable than others. These blankets can also feature several designs, including plaids or Realtree camouflage. Choose a material that you like and that will be most comfortable and warm during a road trip.
Best Heated Car Blankets Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Roadpro 12-volt heated car blanket is 100 percent polar fleece and plugs into a cigarette lighter socket. The blanket is 58 inches long by 42.5 inches wide and comes in a zippered storage bag. It includes an eight-foot power cord with an LED indicator and has a 4.6 low amp draw (55 Watts). The blanket is pre-set to reach a max operating temperature of 110 F to 115 F degrees.
The Roadpro starts working as soon as it is plugged into a power source, and even when it's turned off, the blanket feels nice and warm. One advantage is that the cord stretches far enough to reach passengers in the backseat.
One downside is that the blanket is not machine-washable. Also, it can take a while to warm up to your desired temperature. The blanket does not have an adjustable temperature setting, and there have been a couple of reports that the wiring can catch fire.
The Stalwart 12-volt electric blanket is 100 percent polyester and features an eight-foot cord that plugs into car, truck and RV cigarette lighters. The blanket is 59 inches long by 43 inches wide and comes in a storage case with handles. It is lightweight and is easily folded for storage.
The blanket is very warm even when it is not plugged in, and it takes 10 minutes or less to reach a comfortable temperature. One benefit is that it does not get too hot to the touch. Also, it does not overheat. The material is durable, and the blanket is a decent size. In addition, it features an indicator on the plug that lets you know when it is on and working.
The blanket does not have an automatic shut-off switch, which may be a deal breaker if you want to keep the heat on for a long period of time without forgetting about it. Also, the blanket is not machine-washable and does not feature a high/low setting. Finally, the built-in heating elements struggle to reach high temperatures.
If you’re searching for a soft blanket that’ll cover multiple people on long road trips, the Car Cozy 12-Volt Heated Travel Blanket is just what you need. Sized just big enough to blanket two people with its warmth, it measures 58 x 42 inches and is as comfortable to the touch as it is cozy with a little extra heat.
Made with plush polyester-based polar fleece, this heated blanket is designed to work while plugged in or as a typical heat-free blanket. It’s a great road trip companion thanks to its 12-volt plug, which works with any 12-volt outlet (though you will need an adapter if you want to use it at home). And, its 7-foot power cord gives you plenty of room. Additionally, you can trust in its safety thanks to the built-in safety timer with automatic shut-off.
The only significant disadvantage of this heated car blanket is its lack of temperature settings. You don’t have the option to set a custom heating level — the blanket is on when it’s on, and that’s that. This sole heat level may not be warm enough for very cold weather.
With most heated blankets, you don’t have a lot of customization — but with the AJP Distributors 12V Car Heated Blanket, you get more choices. This soft blanket will literally wrap you up in warmth with extra heat delivered right from your vehicle’s 12-volt outlet. It offers three different heat settings so you can decide whether you want to be totally toasty or gently warmed.
Specifically designed to be used in cars, trucks, RVs, and other kinds of vehicles, this heated blanket is travel-ready. Its 12-volt plug works in any vehicle’s cigarette lighter or power outlet and plugs in directly. It measures 59 x 43 inches in size. When it comes to heat, you’ll be able to choose from three different settings: high, medium, or low. This allows you to adjust based on personal preferences or changing weather.
Although the product describes its material as flannel and wool fabric, it’s important to note that the blanket is actually made out of polar fleece, a polyester blend of fabric. While it’s certainly soft and cozy, it’s also breathable — but it’s nothing like flannel or wool.
The Tech Faith Electric Car Blanket is a great option if you want to warm up fast and with strong, effective heat. This heated blanket features a 12-volt plug that’s designed to work with car outlets, and you can put it to work while you’re on the road, tailgating, on an RV trip, or even at a drive-in on chilly evenings.
The heated car blanket comes with a number of comfort-inducing features. It measures 59 x 43 inches in size, which makes it great for sharing with someone else. A 96-inch power cord length gives you enough distance to move around without feeling restricted. The fleece material that the blanket is made of is lightweight yet holds in heat well.
There is one drawback to this nicely hot and heated car blanket: It doesn’t come with a thermostat control or any temperature settings, so you cannot choose how warm it gets. If you leave it on for a long time, it’ll get very hot. It’s best to use for short periods of warmth, then unplug for safety (and to prevent yourself from overheating).
If convenience and handy features are what you want from a heated car blanket, you’ve got to get your hands on the Zone Tech Sherpa Fleece Travel Blanket. Made with premium materials for durability, smooth and reliable performance, and total comfort in the cold, this blanket goes above and beyond. It’s even more convenient, thanks in part to the handy remote control that’s included.
This travel- and car-ready heated blanket measures 60 x 50 inches in size and works with any vehicle’s 12-volt outlet. It features two different material textures, one on either side: a soft sherpa fleece and a velvet-like plush. However, the entire blanket is actually made out of the same polyester material for durability and total comfort as long as you enjoy its warmth.
There’s no denying that convenience is the biggest perk of this car blanket, though. You’ll have a smart remote attached to the blanket’s power cord, which features a power button plus temperature control buttons. A temperature indicator screen allows you to see the blanket’s exact temperature, and you can turn it up or down — it’ll even go as high as 120 degrees Fahrenheit!
The Motor Trend 12V Heated Car Blanket is straightforward and super simple to use. It’s designed to work with your vehicle’s 12-volt outlet, and it’s nicely sized for one person. Whether you need a travel blanket that offers extra warmth or want to warm up an always-chilly passenger, it’s compact enough to carry anywhere and yet big enough to easily warm up an adult.
Though this blanket is full-size, it’s really the best choice for individuals, whether you’re a passenger or the driver who wants warmth while you’re not behind the wheel. It measures 58 x 42 inches in overall size, and it’ll fully cover most people. You can wrap yourself up in its heat and take the interior of your car from frosty to well-heated. It gets to work almost instantly; as soon as it’s plugged in, it’ll turn on and start delivering warmth.
However, you’ll want to keep in mind that while this car blanket is built with all of the necessary safety protocols, it doesn’t automatically shut off. When it’s plugged in, it’s on — so for safety, you’ll have to unplug it when you’re finished using it.
The MAXSA Heated Travel Blanket provides gentle heat whenever you connect it to a 12-volt power outlet in your car, boat, or RV. It is warm and comfy and measures 41 by 57 inches. It is big enough to cover two people. The blanket also comes with a seven-foot cord that can extend to the back seat of your car. You can program it to automatically switch off after 30 or 45 minutes. That way, it won’t drain the car’s battery.
This heated car blanket will keep you warm as you camp, commute, or travel in cold weather. It is made of polyester fleece, a fabric with an exceptional ability to retain heat. Polyester fleece is naturally warm, so the blanket will stay warm even when it's not plugged in. It is available in three different colors: red plaid, leopard, and navy blue.
But here’s something you may not know: Most heated car blankets only use 12 volts. As a result, they don’t get very warm, and that’s the main issue with this blanket. Many people complain that it does not get warm and that they still feel cold when using it. Also, the plastic electrical cord insulation may get frayed after moderate usage, revealing the inner copper wire.
Why settle for one heat setting when you can get three from the iHealth Comfort Warm Travel Blanket? This cozy blanket is designed for chilly settings, from road trips in your car to cold camping settings in a camper or RV with power. With its 12-volt compatibility, you can easily plug it into just about any vehicle and get extra warmth while you’re on the road.
This heated car blanket measures 60 x 40 inches in size and offers three heat settings (high, medium, and low). You can control exactly how much — or how little — heat you’d like. If you’re worried about overheating, don’t fret. This blanket is equipped with an auto-off timer that shuts the heat off to protect your car battery and your own heat level. You have three timer settings to choose from and can let the blanket run for 30, 45, or 60 minutes. No matter what setting you decide on, you’ll reach your ideal temperature quickly.
Just keep in mind that the blanket isn’t incredibly large. It’ll cover two people over the laps, but it isn’t big enough to cover a large bed or air mattress.
Tips & Advice for Heated Car Blankets
- Due to their internal wiring, the majority of electric blankets for cars can’t be cleaned in a washing machine. They should not be submerged in water. Spot clean them instead.
- When you wash your blanket by hand, use a mix of soap and water. Be sure to unplug the blanket first and make sure that it is cool to the touch before you clean it.
- After cleaning your blanket, do not put it in the drying machine. Instead, let it air dry. Ensure that it is completely dry before you plug it in again.
- Replace your heated blanket if you notice any damage or frayed wires. It can cause harm if it's not functioning properly. Also, do not iron the blanket because that can damage it.
- When you are not using an electric travel blanket, make sure to turn it off and unplug it. For safety reasons, it is not advisable to leave the blanket on without supervision.
- If the blanket does not have an automatic shut-off and you leave it plugged in while the receiving power is on, it will drain the battery. Unplug it when your car isn't running.
- Gently fold or roll up the heated blanket for storage purposes. Rolling it will protect the insulated wires contained within. Then place it in a plastic bag and seal it closed.
- Be careful not to use the blanket while it is folded over itself. This may create a hotspot and could potentially cause an electrical issue. Read the manufacturer's instructions and use as intended.
Q: How long does a heated car blanket take to heat up?
A: It depends on the product. Some heated car blankets will start to get warm shortly after you plug them into a power source. Others take several minutes before reaching the desired temperature.
Q: How long do heated car blankets last?
A: The best 12-volt electric blanket will last between three and five years if you use it as intended. Make sure you follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Q: Do heated car blankets retain heat after they’re turned off?
A: Heated blankets can retain heat for a short time after they're turned off. Some can stay warm for 15 to 30 minutes. Eventually, they will cool off and act as a regular, non-heated blanket.
Q: Are heated car blankets safe?
A: Some heated car blankets have shut-off timers to prevent them from getting too hot, thus ensuring the user's safety. Electric blankets that stay on indefinitely have the potential to be problematic if they are not monitored during use.
Q: Will a heated car blanket stay on when the vehicle is off?
A: It depends on what type of 12-volt plug you have in your vehicle. Some plugs only function when the vehicle is on or when it is placed in accessory mode. If the 12-volt outlet works without the engine running, the blanket will stay on while the vehicle is turned off.
Our top pick for the best-heated car blanket is the Car Cozy Heated Travel Blanket by Trillium Worldwide. It is large, soft, and warm even when it’s not turned on.
If you’re looking for something a little less pricey, consider the Roadpro 12-Volt Polar Fleece Heated Travel Blanket.