Best Car Trunk Organizers: Our Top Picks to Keep Your Trunk Tidy
Make your trunk into a clutter-free zone with the best trunk organizers
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Katherine Rother / LAST UPDATED ON March 4, 2019
Keeping your trunk uncluttered can be a bit of a challenge. From carrying along with important items like antifreeze bottles and jumper cables to keeping groceries stowed away, trunk organizers can make having everything in its place easy and convenient. In this piece, we’ll go through everything you need to know to select the best trunk organizer for your needs.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy a Trunk Organizer?
- Tidy up your trunk. One of the biggest pluses of buying a trunk organizer is keeping everything in its rightful place. This will leave your trunk wonderfully organized and clean, which makes for a happier you.
- Prevent damage. If you’re regularly carrying around items that might break or spill, keeping these in a trunk organizer will make them less likely to cause damage to your vehicle’s trunk.
- Find things quickly. When everything in your trunk has its rightful place, you’ll find whatever you’re looking for much quicker. A trunk organizer can help you do just that, saving you time and energy.
- Secure groceries. We all know that running to the store can lead to lots of bags and loose items in your trunk. Tuck these away into a trunk organizer; not only will you keep your groceries secure, but you’ll also be able to carry them into your home in one go.
Types of Trunk Organizers
As the name suggests, foldable trunk organizers can fold away, so they take up less space when not in use. Keep in mind that their construction will be a lot less durable than something that’s designed to stay in one place. Likewise, these tend to be smaller in size and have less internal compartments.
This type of trunk organizer will have just one or two large compartments to stow away your stuff. Materials range from hard plastic to reinforced cloth that’s stiffened with cardboard or other materials to help keep the organizer’s shape. These can be useful if you’re looking to tuck away larger items but can become cluttered with lots of smaller ones.
Depending on the model, the compartments may be customizable thanks to inserts that can be adjusted. Other models have preset compartments in a variety of sizes to help stow items of various sizes. This type of organizer is one of the most useful ones for organizing your trunk, thanks to the many compartments.
Drive Auto Products
Headquartered in Byron Center, Michigan, Drive Auto Products has made a name for itself in the last decade. Making a variety of organizational products for your car, its trunk organizers are some of the best on the market. A top seller from its line includes the Trunk Storage Organizer with Straps.
First founded in Australia 30 years ago, Rola products have made their way over to the US. Based in Plymouth, Michigan, it continues to innovate awesome trunk organizers, roof racks, and other automotive accessories. Some of its most popular products are the 59001 M.O.V.E. Organizer and the 59000 M.O.V.E. Rigid-Base Organizer.
An online-based retailer, MIU Color has been making high-quality products for more than five years. Their storage crates and organizers are well-made and easy to use, meeting all your storage needs. Their bestsellers include the Car Trunk Storage Organizer and the Foldable Waterproof Trunk Organizer.
- Under $25: At this price point, you’ll find a number of models of varying degrees of quality. Some are well-made and offer a viable and durable solution to your trunk organizational needs. Others use flimsier materials that won’t hold up over time.
- $25-$50: In the mid-range, most models are well-made, durable, and typically come with a number of useful features like reinforced base plates, handles, customizable inserts, tie-down straps, and waterproofing.
- Above $50: In this price range, you’ll find heavy-duty, ultra-durable options that will meet and exceed all your trunk storage needs. Most organizers at this price point will be able to hold at least 100 pounds, which is useful if you’re frequently using your organizer for carrying around heavier loads.
Make sure that your trunk organizer has the versatility features you need. Many models come with removable panels that allow you to resize individual compartments within the organizer, making it easier to store oddly-sized items. Likewise, if you’ve got a lot of small things to store, having a compartment for these is a necessity, so make sure that your organizer fits your needs.
Quality and Construction
Like all things, trunk organizers come at different quality and price points. It’s a good idea to purchase one that is well-constructed so it can manage the amount of weight you plan to stow in it. Make sure your trunk organizer is up to the task and look for heavy stitching, durable fabrics, and reinforced bases.
There’s no point in having a trunk organizer that doesn’t stay in place, spilling all your items back into the trunk as soon as you turn a corner. Look for secure tie-down straps that will keep your organizer in place. Velcro straps are also good, but they lose their ability to keep the organizer tied down over time.
- Size: It all comes down to how much you want to organize and stow in your trunk. Organizers come in several different sizes, matching several different needs. Smaller ones are ideal for taking along automotive necessities, while larger ones are great for carrying groceries into your home.
- Handles: If you’re looking to carry your trunk organizer around, you’ll definitely want handles. Not all models come with handles, so it’s important to watch out for this feature. They’re also useful for strapping down your organizer with bungee cords.
- Cover: Depending on the model, it may have no cover, a cargo net to keep things in place, or a fabric or plastic cover that keeps your items tucked safely away. Whether or not a cover is a total necessity is up to you. Just keep in mind that covers are great for keeping the overall look of your trunk even cleaner.
- Waterproofing: Some trunk organizers are made from waterproof materials, which is a great benefit if you’re planning to use it on an open truck bed. Look for ones that also feature a waterproof cover to make sure whatever you’re stowing is protected from the elements.
- Foldability: If you’re planning to use your organizer only occasionally, a folding feature is a great space-saving tool. It’s important to remember that not all foldable or collapsible organizers are as durable as non-foldable ones, due to their construction.
Best Trunk Organizers Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Trunk Organizer
- If the straps on your organizer are a little too short, or it doesn’t have straps at all, you can use bungee cords to strap it down.
- You can use your trunk organizer in other areas of your car as well, such as the front or back seat, to stow away anything you’re driving around. (see our best back seat organizers review here)
- Use your trunk organizer to take along automotive necessities like jumper cables, wiper fluid, and reflective triangles to keep them tucked away safely.
- An organizer is a great tool for keeping your groceries from flying around in your trunk. No more damaged eggs when they’re stowed away! You can easily carry the eggs and multiple bags into your home in one trip.
- If you work in construction, an organizer is a great way to keep all of your tools in one place. As a bonus, you can even keep them safe on the bed of a truck.
- An organizer with customizable inserts is the ideal tool if you tend to have random things you need to stow away.
Q: How much weight can a trunk organizer support?
A: That all depends on the exact trunk organizer you have. As a good rule of thumb, smaller and lighter organizers can handle around 20 pounds, whereas big, rugged, heavy-duty ones can manage up to 100 pounds or more. We recommend checking the manufacturer’s recommended storage limit for your trunk organizer to get the exact answer.
Q: How do you secure a trunk organizer?
A: Most high-quality organizers have tie-down straps or Velcro to secure them to the floor of the trunk. Others have non-slip bottoms to help prevent sliding. The best trunk organizers will have straps with hooks that attach to two to four points in the trunk, which will keep everything secure.
Q: Can I purchase extra dividers for trunk organizers?
A: That depends on the organizer. Some manufacturers make additional inserts for their trunk organizers, while others do not. If you think you’ll need extra dividers, make sure you purchase a model that either has lots of removable inserts or one where the manufacturer makes additional dividers.
Q: How do I clean my trunk organizer?
A: Most trunk organizers don’t need much by way of maintenance. If you ever find your organizer a little dusty or dirty, simply wipe it down with a damp cloth, and you should be good to go. For any stubborn dirt, you can always use a fabric cleaning pen—just make sure that it’s ok to use with your organizer's materials.
Q: Can I use my trunk organizer to hold files and documents?
A: Definitely! Although most organizers don’t have a specific compartment to hold files, many do have a compartment that fits their general size and shape. In either case, it’s better to keep them in the organizer since that will cut down on the chance of the files flying around as you drive.
Q: Can I use a trunk organizer in an open truck bed?
A: You can! To do this, we recommend getting an organizer with adjustable tie-down straps. If you attach these to the bed of the truck to keep it from sliding around, you’ll have a secure organizer. Keep in mind that lighter items not covered or strapped down could still go flying at higher speeds.
Our top pick is the Trunkcratepro Collapsible Trunk Organizer, which features customizable compartments, solid construction, and a useful cover. It’s also waterproof, making it ideal for both indoor and outdoor use.
If you’re looking to save a little extra cash, check out the FORTEM Auto Trunk Organizer. It performs well and looks sleek.