Best Car Window Breakers: Rescue Others and Save Your Own Life
These car window breakers can cut seatbelts and break windows in emergencies
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Norah Tarichia / LAST UPDATED ON September 12, 2019
What would you do to free yourself from your car if the doors jam? One solution is a car window breaker, which is a tool that helps you exit your car’s cabin in case of an emergency. You can also rescue someone else who is trapped inside their car. This guide will help you find the best car window breaker on the market.
These hammers have double-sided heads with sharp solid steel window breakers. They come in a set of four, so you can give the rest to your family or friends as gifts.
- The car escape tools help prevent automotive entrapment
- They have two vital functions
- They cut seatbelts and also break windows
- They come with mounting brackets so you can keep them close by
- The mounts require the installation of screws
- You have to drill holes in your car’s upholstery to mount them
- The only other option is using Velcro to mount them
A compact and ready-to-use car window breaker and seatbelt cutter with a convenient key chain mounting system.
- No installation required.
- Lightweight and easy-to-carry design
- Cuts through seatbelts in seconds
- Breaks car windows safely and quickly
- Available in a variety of colors
- Decently priced
- Poor-quality construction
- The internal spring mechanism may fail
- May be difficult to access the seatbelt cutter
- Not rust-resistant
A window breaker, seatbelt cutter, and phone charger that’s ideal for emergencies and everyday situations.
- Quick-function glass breaker
- Slices through seatbelts in seconds
- Includes dual USB ports for charging other devices
- Easy to use
- Protected from overcharging
- Always within reach
- Can only break the side windows
- Slow charging
- Isn’t compatible with all types of charging ports
- Radio static when plugged in
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of a Car Window Breaker
- Prepare for emergencies. Anything can happen when you're traveling, and you may get into an accident. Sometimes cars automatically lock the doors, which can trap you inside. A car window breaker will enable you to break the side window and crawl out of the car.
- Prepare for severe weather. A car window breaker can come in handy if you live in a region that experiences severe weather changes, such as storms, floods, or heavy snow. You will have peace of mind knowing that you can break out of your car if the weather takes a turn for the worst.
- Save lives. Side window and windshield breaker tools are an essential item in a safety tool kit, especially for first responders such as firefighters, paramedics, police officers, rescuers, and emergency medical technicians. It helps to remove car crash victims trapped in their cars and is faster than kicking out the window.
Resqme (rescue me) is an American company that has over 20 years of experience in providing safety tools that save lives all around the world. It manufactures and distributes high-quality automotive safety tools that are made in America. Resqme’s headquarters are in California, and its products are sold in over 45 countries. One of its best-selling auto glass breaker tools is the Resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool.
Ztylus, based in Houston, Texas, is an innovative company that specializes in a wide line of revolver lenses, cinema mounts, two-prime lenses, and emergency tools. The company was started by a team of innovative entrepreneurs and currently has a large customer base in the United States, Canada, Korea, and Japan. One of its best car rescue tools is the Ztylus Stinger Emergency Escape Tool.
LifeHammer is a Netherlands-based company that designs some of the best emergency escape tools and car cleaning accessories. After years of dedicated research into existing safety products, it came up with a smart design solution for vehicle entrapment. That’s the LifeHammer Car Safety Hammer, which is one of the best window hammers on the market today.
Car Window Breaker Pricing
- Under $20: Products within this price range are typically window hammers that allow you to break out of non-laminated windows in your vehicle. They may come with a knife, but it may not be durable enough for everyday use.
- Over $20: Rescue tools within this price range often come as a set of two or more window breakers. They have durable designs and include other safety features such as a seat belt cutter and a flashlight. They are great for camping, hiking, and managing numerous emergency situations.
A car window breaker needs to be strong enough to break through a car window and durable enough to withstand repeated action. The best car escape tools are made of stainless steel, which is a durable material, and other hard metals. Tools with plastic cases may break when too much force is applied to them.
The car survival tool shouldn't be a burden to carry around or lift. You need a lightweight and portable design that can fit in your pocket or your vehicle’s center console. Keep in mind that you may be a bit unconscious or dizzy following an accident, and you need something that you can swing easily.
The performance or window breaking style should save you from vehicular entrapment within the shortest time possible. A hammer style technique could take minutes and a lot of effort before you break the window. The best glass breakers have an automatic spring mechanism that easily breaks the glass in seconds.
- Car Window Type: You need to ensure that the safety tool is designed to break through the type of glass your car window has. Most units can break through a standard tempered glass in the side window, but you need to find a stronger tool to break a double-layered glass windshield.
- Ease of Use: Simplicity is key when it comes to auto emergency escape tools. There's no point in buying a gadget with overly complex features. You may forget how to use it when you are in panic mode. You need a tool that uses minimal force and takes a short time to break a window.
- Auxiliary Features: Select a tool that offers multiple safety features on top of a car window breaker, including a sharp knife, alarm, flashlight, and a mounting system for easy accessibility. These extra features can come in handy for frequent campers.
Best Car Window Breaker Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you are trapped in your car but can’t find your car window breaker, use the headrest to break the window. Most car models have detachable headrests. However, don’t use this as an excuse not to get the proper tools. A headrest may jam, and you don’t want to struggle with it when you don’t have time to spare.
- Get a full emergency kit for your car with a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, and car seat belt cutter for emergency situations. If you have a penknife, it may help you cut through the seatbelt if it gets stuck, but it won't be strong enough to help you break through the glass.
- Always place your emergency tools in an accessible spot in case you are trapped in your seat. The best spots to store the car window breaker are on the side of the driver's door, on the center console, on the visor on the driver’s side, or under the driver’s seat.
Q: Is it dangerous to shatter a car window?
A: It depends on the type of glass breaker you are using. Hammer glass breakers tend to break the glass in huge chunks that may cut you if you aren't too careful. Automatic glass breakers are less dangerous because the glass shatters into tiny pieces. You should wear gloves or cover yourself before you break the window. If you are saving someone in a trapped car, advise them to look away before you break the glass.
Q: Can you break bulletproof glass with a glass breaker?
A: Bullet-resistant glass is designed differently than normal tempered glass. It has several layers of polycarbonate with glass making up the external layer. A glass breaker may break the outer glass layer but won't break the window. Instead, you would have to have a siren alarm and an LED flashlight to send a distress signal. Also, always have your phone nearby, and invest in a head unit that can send an emergency signal in case you're trapped.
Q: Can a glass breaker work on laminated glass?
A: Laminated glass has plastic in between two layers of glass. It is hard to break with a glass breaker, even if it has an automatic spring mechanism unless it's a high-quality tool with a strong spring. Hammer glass breakers are better at the job but require extra time and effort.
We chose the IPOW Disaster Escape Life-Saving Hammers as our top pick since they work quickly when you need to break a window and free yourself from a jammed seatbelt.
A budget-friendly and multi-tool design glass breaker that will help you quickly escape your car is the Resqme The Original Keychain Car Escape Tool.