Watch How These Pro Divers Recover a Chevrolet Corvette C3 That's Been Underwater for Years
It takes more than a chain and some elbow grease to pluck this classic car from an Oregon riverbed.
On a recent diving trip, professionals that run the YouTube channel Adventures with Purpose discovered several cars buried underwater in an Oregon river and documented their work to bring them ashore. One of the last to make it to the surface was a Chevrolet Corvette from the 1980s, still wearing most of its original bright yellow paint.
The car is rumored to have been stolen, but no one is sure if that actually happened, or if the car was just dumped into the river by the original owner, who supposedly left the country shortly afterward. Though the team in the video succeeded in pulling the ‘Vette from the river, they’re not the first to try recovering the car. The local sheriff’s department spent two days attempting to drag the Corvette from its resting spot with a tow truck, only to pull out the front axle when the car got stuck on an under water log.
Most of the video is just a lot of underwater sounds with murky visibility, but what they did to recover the car is actually quite clever. The divers used lift bags that fill with air on the rear of the car to hoist it up and over the log that foiled law enforcement. A tow truck was then used to pull the partially floating car to shore.
As neat as pulling a C3 Corvette from underwater sounds, it’s not the only car the team found stuck in the mud. There was also a VW Beetle, a Mercury Cougar, a Pontiac Grand Am GT, and in another video the team pulls out an old Jaguar. When the Grand Am finally reached shore, the team found a screwdriver in the ignition, meaning whoever dumped the car had been raiding their toolbox instead of using keys, or, more than likely, it was stolen.
- RELATEDDozens of Chevrolet Dealers Promise No Markup on the 2020 C8 Corvette: ReportPraise be, Chevrolet dealers pledge to keep the C8 Corvette affordable.READ NOW
- RELATEDRetro-Styled 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Is a Questionable Throwback to YesteryearClassic American styling meets 21st-century performance thanks to the 53-03 Commemorative Edition kit, but the looks are definitely love-or-hate.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Engine Lineup Leak Reveals Twin-Turbo V8 With 850 HPA dozen engines ranging from high-output V8s to hybrid powerplants can be found on the leaked chart.READ NOW
- RELATEDIdaho Man Reunites With Stolen Chevy Corvette Z06 After Police Recover It From Bottom of a LakePerfect time to order a new C8.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 194-MPH 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Stingray Will Start at $59,995A sub-$60K, mid-engined rocket.READ NOW