General Motors Ditches Chrome Wheels for New 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8
Apparently, it's all about changing the Corvette's demographic.
Chevrolet is completely changing the Corvette model's direction with the new C8 generation. In addition to moving the engine behind the passenger compartment and making the steering wheel square, Chevy has consciously barred a supposedly popular hallmark of Corvette design from the new car's options sheet: chrome wheels.
Speaking to Car and Driver, C8 head engineer Tadge Juechter said there would be "no chrome available" on his new mid-engined creation and that the latest Corvette's flashiest wheel option will get a "polished" design, presumably referring to the Ultra Bright Trident Spoke rim seen in the car's online configurator.
The Trident wheel can also be had in machined two-tone or black while the simpler five-spoke design seen above can be finished in bright silver, carbon, or pewter.
According to the report, Chevy decided to eliminate chrome wheels from the mid-engined 'Vette (from the factory, at least) in order to distance it from its reputation as a mid-life crisis-mobile, primarily driven by gray-haired men of a certain age. Along with its much-discussed engine placement, the wheel options have seemingly been designed to appeal to a younger, more "with-it" generation of sports car buyers that would otherwise be seen in something European, or whose Corvette's frunks will likely never hold a set of golf clubs.
Of course, if you are a fan of reflective rims, C8 owners of all ages are free to fit aftermarket wheels of any color or finish to their cars once they've taken delivery—the engine might be in the middle now but we'll assume Chevy hasn't gone full Ferrari just yet.
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 First Year Production ‘Nearly Sold Out,’ According to GM ExecDespite what internet commenters may lead you to believe, most buyers apparently don’t mind the Corvette’s momentous platform shift.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevrolet Will Let You Customize Your 2020 Corvette C8's VIN for Just $5,000The personalized service costs about eight percent of the car's $60,000 base price.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Corvette C8 Price Kept Under $60,000 Thanks to New Platform and Axing ManualNo transmission builder was up to the task of building Chevy a manual, and doing a bespoke unit was too costly and would offer no returns.READ NOW
- RELATEDMid-Engined 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8's Top Speed Hasn't Been Tested Yet: ReportFor reference, the C7 Stingray topped out at 187 mph.READ NOW
- RELATEDMid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8.R Sportscar Racer All but Confirmed for 2020Something tells us it'll probably be yellow.READ NOW