This Is the Mid-Engine 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8's Square Steering Wheel
Having its engine in the middle won't be the only thing the C8 shares with cars like the LaFerrari and Ford GT.
Less than a week before Chevrolet's next-gen Corvette officially introduces itself to the world, Chevy has released a picture of the mid-engined C8's steering wheel and like the decision to put the engine behind the driver, the new car's wheel design looks to have been inspired by high exotica. As an evolution of the C7's flat-bottom steering wheel, C8 drivers will be gripping onto a wheel that's much more squared off and reminiscent of those found in cars like the Ferrari LaFerrari and Ford GT—both high-dollar, mid-engined flagships of their respective brands.
Chevy says the square shape makes for better visibility and comfort. The leather-wrapped wheel features contrast stitching, a healthy handful of buttons, a center marker at the top to instantly let you know when your alignment is a bit out of whack, and a pair of metallic paddles that control what has previously been rumored to be a seven-speed dual-clutch transmission.
For reference purposes, here's what the old 'Vette's steering wheel looked like. Fun fact: the last and only other Corvette to get a steering wheel with only two spokes was the C4 from the '80s and '90s.
Although powertrain and pricing details have yet to be confirmed, it's believed that the C8 will get a reworked 6.2-liter LT1 V-8 and make around 500 horsepower to start. Earlier this week, a photo of the mid-engined Corvette's bare, uncamouflaged rear end was supposedly leaked as well.
To see the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette in all its mid-engined glory, be sure to check back in with The Drive when it officially debuts July 18.
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Rear End Photos Leaked: ReportMeet the C8's alleged booty exactly 10 days ahead of its official release.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Get Pushed to Its Limits at the NürburgringThis is the hardest we've seen any C8 test mule get pushed on track. Could Chevy be going for a record before its July 18 reveal?READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 Will Have Encrypted ECU to Deter Third-Party Tuning: ReportGM's new global electrical system, which the next-gen Corvette reportedly uses, is so secure that it'll be off-limits to anyone but Chevy.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Average Steering Wheel Is 4 Times Filthier Than a Public Toilet Seat: StudyThat pump handle at the gas station, meanwhile, is almost 12,000 times dirtier than the typical porcelain throne.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen to the Mid-Engined Chevrolet Corvette C8 Strut Its V-8 Engine on the HighwayThere's a healthy-sounding V-8 under the hood.READ NOW