Listen to the Toyota Supra GT300 Prototype Rip Around Fuji Speedway
That doesn't sound like a six-cylinder.
The latest Toyota GR Supra is gearing up for its next big motorsports debut as YouTube channel nenkatsu recently caught one of its racing prototypes driving angrily around the iconic Fuji Speedway. All we have to say is: listen to it roar!
The first batch of new production Supras may still just be getting into the hands of some lucky private owners, but with performance engineering backed by Toyota’s in-house Gazoo Racing team, it was only a matter of time until the Supra began showing up for some motorsport duty—especially since it was pretty much built with GT racing in mind.
Destined to race in Japan’s premier racing class, the new Supra race car is under development to compete in the GT300 series rather than the FIA GT3 class. According to DailySportsCar, this means that engineers are required to virtually retain the car’s original shape, but they pretty much have free reign to tweak the body’s aerodynamics, chassis, suspension, and drivetrains to their liking—unlike the FIA GT3 regulations that limit these parameters.
It clearly shows that the Supra’s overall profile remains with the GT300 prototype, but with significantly more aggressive aerodynamic bodywork, a massive rear spoiler, and widened axles. You can hear in the YouTube video, however, that a high-performance V8 appears to lurk under the hood, instead of the production vehicle’s BMW-sourced turbocharged inline-six.
The Supra GT300 apparently followed in the footsteps of the more powerful Supra GT500 built for the Super GT class next year, joining the Supra GT4 as the third motorsports variant of the Japanese auto giant's factory-built race cars. The GT300 is anticipated to make its official racing entrance at the Autobacs Super GT Series in 2020 led by the Saitama Toyopet GreenBrave racing team.
You can watch the video here.
- RELATEDToyota GR Supra GT4 Race Car Rocks 430 Horsepower and Nearly $200,000 Price TagToyota's BMW-powered GR Supra GT4 is a turnkey race car designed to compete in the world's fastest-growing GT racing category.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Unveils Carbon Fiber-Bodied GR Supra Race Car for Super GT and DTMThe outrageous Supra will not only fight Acura NSXs and Nissan GT-Rs, but also DTM racers at Fuji Speedway this November.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Now Drive the Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept in Gran Turismo SportThe production-ready real thing will drop in early 2019.READ NOW
- RELATEDIt’s Official: Toyota Is Returning to Forza Horizon with the MK4 SupraDon’t have a PlayStation? No problem, because the Supra’s coming back to Xbox.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Toyota GR Supra Launch Edition Originally Listed for $131,000 Actually Sells for $87,574Despite North Park Toyota of San Antonio, Texas telling us the $131,000 price tag was a mistake, the price still stands online several hours later.READ NOW