GM’s Original Design Sketches for the New Hummer EV Were Straight Out of Science Fiction
Some of the earliest design sketches for the 2022 GMC Hummer look like they belong in a video game with a roof-mounted laser cannon.
The General Motors Design squad almost took the 2022 GMC Hummer electric supertruck's macho vibe in a whole different, more futuristic direction. GM Design released some of the pre-production sketches for the new Hummer on its fascinating Instagram account today, and some of the earlier ideas look like they're straight out of sci-fi.
Design sketches always tend to err on the side of wishful thinking. We're probably not going to get burgundy tires, and some of these short, squatty greenhouses look like even more of a visibility nightmare than the production version. The Hummer already has a tacticool vibe going right there in the HMMWV-derived brand name, so we don't need it to have tank-style visibility.
Yet this wishful thinking got me doing some wishful thinking of my own. The production version reminds me a bit of the new Jeep Grand Wagoneer concept, whereas a few of these renders are a bed-mounted rocket launcher away from fitting right into Halo.
The more pronounced trapezoidal fender flares with taillights that continue around the side are realy eye-catching, as are the hood that sort of floats over a blacked-out front grille area and the chunky blue side accents. The drop-down windshield is fun, too. That's right: We could've gotten a windshield that folds down, too.
The GM Design team also posted some pre-production interior sketches that look like cleaner, more streamlined versions of the production interior. If what was revealed on Tuesday is just a little too blingy for you, perhaps you'd like the smoother, frameless design of the original dashboard screen.
If you want to see more fascinating sketches from GM's present and past, give the GM Design team a follow on Instagram here.
Got a tip? Send us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RELATEDThe GMC Hummer EV's Mission Is to Make Electric Cars Seem 'Badass'The Volt and Bolt EV never captured the public's attention the way Tesla did. GM hopes a "Supertruck" will change that.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 1993 Hummer H1 Was Really an Expensive Heap Completely Unsuited for Civilian LifeThe original H1 was great off-road but when it comes to everyday livability, air conditioning can only help so much.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Hummer Isn’t GM’s First Electric Vehicle That Can Drive SidewaysBefore the Hummer could crab walk diagonally, NASA and GM had the wild Modular Robotic Vehicle with wheels that could turn 180 degrees.READ NOW
- RELATED2022 GMC Hummer EV: Hummer Is Back With 1,000 Electric Horsepower and a $112,595 Price TagFrom gas guzzler to battery-powered "supertruck": Hummer is back to lead GM's EV charge.READ NOW
- RELATEDGM Will Use Graphics Engine Designed for Video Games for the Hummer EV’s Infotainment SystemInfotainment systems' graphics and usability are finally getting the attention they deserve, courtesy of the gaming world.READ NOW