A Tesla 'Dog Mode' Could Be in the Works
The feature would display interior car temperatures and a message stating, ‘My owner will be right back.’
Elon Musk may have confirmed via Twitter that Tesla could include a “dog mode” in future Tesla software. The feature could possibly tell onlookers that the dog waiting inside the vehicle is not overheating and its owner will promptly return.
When Twitter users suggested the temperature and message display ideas for future Tesla Model 3s to Musk on social media, the billionaire responded with an agreeable and concise, “Yes.”
While Tesla already has a feature to regulate its electric car interior from overheating, the issue being confronted here largely stems from a long history of confusion between people leaving their dogs in cars and the casual observers panicking at the uncertainty of the animals’ safety.
In many cases, the dog owner is behaving irresponsibly and actively endangering the animal’s life. In many others, though, the air conditioning has been left on, some windows are cracked, and the dog owner isn’t going too far. In either case, however, there’s a confusion on behalf of strangers regarding whether or not to take action.
In August, for instance, an Ohio man smashed a car window to rescue two dogs he felt were in danger of overheating. He used a hammer to free them, which resulted in a citation and a court date to explain his actions. In this particular case, the sunroof and windows were all left slightly open, but the man wasn’t convinced of the dogs' safety.
In that sense, a “dog mode” is a pretty smart, simple, and functional piece of programming to include in future iterations of the Tesla Model 3 software. At the very least, it’ll put people at ease, while at best, it could prevent those same people from breaking your car window.
- RELATEDWatch Thieves Steal Tesla Model S by Hacking Its Keyless Entry SystemThe duo also disabled the remote access feature on the car, which prevents it from being tracked.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere’s Why Tesla Will Go Bankrupt in 2019Just how screwed is Elon Musk? Ignore the noise and look at Tesla's numbers.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk's Boring Company Begins Hiring Key Personnel for Tunnel ProjectsThe company has hired a former SpaceX and Virgin Orbit structures engineering designer.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk's First High-Speed Underground Tunnel Will Open in DecemberThe all-electric skate will have a maximum speed of 155 miles per hour.READ NOW
- RELATEDOhio Man Smashes Car Window to Rescue Dogs, Receives CitationThe dogs were left in an SUV with the windows slightly opened.READ NOW