Rest Easy, RVers, the 2021 Ford Bronco Can Be Flat-Towed
Like the Jeep Wrangler, you can drag the Bronco on all fours without damaging its drivetrain.
If you're the type of adventurous person that carries their home on their back, or perhaps in an RV, I have some good news for you: the new 2021 Ford Bronco can be flat-towed. This means recreational escapades you decide to hit the highway for can be done with your new off-roader following close behind, as Ford Authority reports.
Apparently this was a very popular question amongst potential buyers. It was eventually answered by Ford spokesperson Mike Levine on Twitter, who claimed the Bronco was indeed engineered to be flat-towed.
Levine did not elaborate on further details concerning the process of flat-towing the Bronco, but we can assume that it would be similar to the way one must prepare the Bronco's closest competitor, the Jeep Wrangler, to be flat-towed.
In the four-wheel-drive 2020 Wrangler's case, the car must be shifted into park in automatic vehicles or second or third gear in manual ones. In both instances, the Jeep's transfer cases must be in neutral. This process may seem a little counter-intuitive, but it's to ensure that the transmission stays properly lubricated as it's going down the road.
The transmission's oil is circulated by both the input and output shaft of the transmission, but the output shaft is connected to the rear wheels, and still spins if the car is in neutral. If the input shaft remains stationary, as it would in neutral, it can cause lubrication problems. This can be counteracted by disconnecting the driveshaft or adding a lubrication pump to the transmission, however, a simpler solution is to just leave the car in the appropriate gear. If the transmission's oil isn't circulating right, the gears and shafts may just eat each other alive.
That would be a bad thing to happen in your new 2021 Bronco, so just do the right thing and listen to what Ford tells you. That's all it takes to avoid flat towing nightmares.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDFord's New Podcast Tells The Story of the Bronco's ComebackYes, they will be talking about that police chase.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Know a Ford Bronco Pickup Truck Is Probably HappeningRumor has it could arrive as early as 2022, and with a manual transmission.READ NOW
- RELATEDReserving a 2021 Ford Bronco Could Be the Only Way to Avoid Dealer MarkupsA hundred dollars now could save you thousands later.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Doubles Production of $60K Bronco First Edition to Meet Huge DemandMiss your shot at a toppa-the-line Bronco First Edition? Ford will be happy to build some more.READ NOW
- RELATEDOh Dear, a Chinese Automaker Has Already Copied the Ford BroncoThe Wey P01 looks...familiar.READ NOW