Hundreds of Jeep Drivers Rally in Memory of School Shooting Hero and Fellow Jeeper Kendrick Castillo
The Colorado Jeep community mourns one of its own in a touching public tribute.
Jeep owners in Colorado gathered by the hundreds to pay their respects to a heroic teen that was recently killed in a school shooting while trying to disarm the deadly criminal.
Kendrick Castillo was a budding 18-year-old roboticist attending STEM School Highlands Ranch in Highlands Ranch, Colorado. On May 7, a classmate entered the classroom, drew a handgun, and ordered everyone not to move. Castillo took action, lunging at the gunman and pinning him to the wall, but was shot in the chest, fatally wounding him. His actions, however, allowed classmates to subdue the armed individual, preventing many more injuries. Castillo was the only person killed in the shooting.
Colorado's Jeep community took notice when it found out that Castillo was one of its own—an avid off-road enthusiast. Multiple regional Jeep groups organized via Facebook to escort Castillo's funeral procession to a church on Wednesday, the date of his service.
"As soon as we heard that Kendrick was a Jeeper, it kind of spread like wildfire throughout the Jeep community," explained Catherine Fanaro, founder of Colorado Jeep Girls, to CBS Denver. Fanaro was able to get approval for 600 Jeeps to attend the service, though over 800 reportedly volunteered to pay tribute to the hero that was Kendrick Castillo.
"People in the community just really want to get together and support however we can," continued Fanaro. "This is a huge turnout. I didn't expect it to get as big as it did, and it's not just Jeepers. It's other four-by-four enthusiasts and car clubs and stuff that have reached out and said, 'hey I want to be part of this.'"
- RELATEDFord vs. Chevy Argument Leads to Actual ShootingPolice say the fight lead to a man shooting his girlfriend in the leg five times and her adult son.READ NOW
- RELATEDPolice Looking for Idiot in Jeep Wrangler Who Destroyed Philly Nature Trail, Ran Over TurtleSome of the damage done to the park's trails, including physical property, is irreversible.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Jeep Gladiator Pickup Truck Costs Less to Lease Per Month Than Your Morning CoffeeAt $143 per month for two years, leasing the Jeep Gladiator seems like a stellar deal.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Monster Truck Pull off a Ridiculous 144-Foot-Long Jump and Break a World RecordEver seen a machine that weighs 12,000 pounds fly like a paper airplane? Well, now you have.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew GM Trademark Filing Teases Chevrolet Trailblazer Return to United StatesGeneral Motors revealed the all-new Chevrolet Trailblazer last month in China, and now it appears it's coming our way.READ NOW