Soccer Star Walks Away From Violent Crash in Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-2
The rear-wheel-drive, manual bull, however, won’t live to see another day.
Manchester United goalkeeper Sergio Romero was involved in a scary crash on Monday while behind the wheel of his Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-2. The footballer was on his way to the team's practice facility near Carrington in Greater Manchester, England, when he appears to have lost control and skidded under a guard rail. The good news is that Romero walked away from the wreck with no injuries, but his Gallardo didn’t fare so well. According to news reports, the exotic—worth an estimated $220,000—is a total loss.
It’s not completely clear what caused Romero to crash, but there were sub-freezing temperatures recorded in the area, which could have caused icy road conditions that don't play too well with a rear-wheel-drive exotic. Regardless, the end result was quite dramatic. The Lambo’s back end appears to be shredded, making for an undoubtedly expensive situation.
Romero was able to attend team practice, though his time with Manchester United hasn’t been as charmed. The footballer has won 96 caps for Argentina, but he’s stuck behind first-choice goalkeeper David De Gea, and he generally only comes off the bench for cup games. Since his transfer to the team in 2015, he’s started just seven league matches.
The Argentinian athlete reportedly upgraded to the Lambo from a Fiat 500 a few years ago. Tragically, it was one of the last manual transmission cars that Lamborghini ever made and, and by the looks of it, there may never be another.
We’re guessing Romero will be more careful if he decides to pursue another exotic (perhaps with all-wheel drive?), but at least he escaped this incident with his health.
Got a tip? Send us a note: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RELATEDEnd of an Era: Lamborghini Now Sells More Urus SUVs Than It Does SupercarsThe house of the raging bull isn't what it once was.READ NOW
- RELATEDLamborghini Lends Aventador to Father and Son Building 3D Printed ReplicaWhile most people have Christmas presents under the tree, the Backus' real gift was the Lamborghini in the garage.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Lamborghini-Badged 1991 Chevrolet Camaro Isn't Fooling AnyoneThere’s a Jensen DVD player, keyboard, and some sweet Superman floor mats in this bad boy.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Extreme Lamborghini V12 Vision Gran Turismo Concept Needs to Become a RealityPlease, Santa?READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Get a Major Bargain on This Wrecked Lamborghini Gallardo SuperleggeraBut with damage "all over" and unknown mechanical issues, you'd better be brave to tackle this project.READ NOW